Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I want one, so who has one? $1000 though? Google is like a crystal ball, they know what's going on. So you know that phone has got to be pretty impressive. But for a grand? Thats pretty steep.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You don't understand!!! This phone is going to blow away the cell market!! The phone is so expensive because there is no provider, no plan, no cost for minutes. It uses WiFi to place the calls. So if you really think about it...how long does it take to pay for itself? Not long...

·
Registered
33 Posts
You don't understand!!! This phone is going to blow away the cell market!! The phone is so expensive because there is no provider, no plan, no cost for minutes. It uses WiFi to place the calls. So if you really think about it...how long does it take to pay for itself? Not long...
So would you need to be near your house in order to use it? Will it have the coverage like other cell phones?

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts

Seriously? That would be cool. I don't think the Verizon guy is going to be to happy about this. :smilielol5: Most likely won't be long before other manufactures pick up the same technology or their version. But then again it might force the current companies to get more aggressive on their pricing models. :thumbsup3:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It would be cool, IF it is available where one needs it. For some of us who live in podunk little towns where the only wireless around is our own, we couldn't "borrow" off anyone else and even around the world, everyone is going secure so what are the chances of finding an unsecure connection you can use? You could go to Scholtzsky or some of the other places where they have free wifi, but you couldn't use it at McDonalds or Starbucks without having to pay them for the WIFI usage. But what about areas when you REALLY need it say driving down the road and having car trouble in the middle of BFE? What good would that really be? Guess you could keep a prepaid net10 phone in the glovebox? I'm eager to see how this plays out as far as adequacy of WiFi locations goes.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
It would be cool, IF it is available where one needs it. For some of us who live in podunk little towns where the only wireless around is our own, we couldn't "borrow" off anyone else and even around the world, everyone is going secure so what are the chances of finding an unsecure connection you can use? You could go to Scholtzsky or some of the other places where they have free wifi, but you couldn't use it at McDonalds or Starbucks without having to pay them for the WIFI usage. But what about areas when you REALLY need it say driving down the road and having car trouble in the middle of BFE? What good would that really be? Guess you could keep a prepaid net10 phone in the glovebox? I'm eager to see how this plays out as far as adequacy of WiFi locations goes.
:iagree: Good post Amy. I never heard anything about this before. Leave it to Google to come out with cool little gadgets!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well Verizon is putting this phone out and they could do a couple of different ways. I am sure you are familiar now with Sprint's or Verizon's portable wi-fi's that fit in your pocket and can host up to 5 computers. This phone will use that same concept except for a phone. So no, you don't have to "find" a wi-fi signal...it is a wi-fi hub that uses the satellite. So even if you are in the middle of nowhere...you can use this! Right now they charge $39.99 a month for those prtable wi-fi's...probably charge around the same amount...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Well Verizon is putting this phone out and they could do a couple of different ways. I am sure you are familiar now with Sprint's or Verizon's portable wi-fi's that fit in your pocket and can host up to 5 computers. This phone will use that same concept except for a phone. So no, you don't have to "find" a wi-fi signal...it is a wi-fi hub that uses the satellite. So even if you are in the middle of nowhere...you can use this! Right now they charge $39.99 a month for those prtable wi-fi's...probably charge around the same amount...

WOW technology these days. Whats next? :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts