Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First Vette. Can spend about 30-35K. Looking at a C5 Z06 (2004 commemorative edition) or a 2008 C6. Advised to go for the 08 as it has a newer and I believe more powerful motor (LS3?).

Any thoughts on these two vehicles? Looks like performance willbe similar. No track time. Just weekend fun.

I know the C6 has improvements over the C5 series and have been told if I go for a non Z06 get the Z51 package. Any thoughts on this. I am willing to forgo the 3 or 4LT packages as I do not need all the bells and whistles.

Lastly, seems like the local dealers are way more expensive than private party. If there is no warranty any advantage to dealer

Thanks

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
C5's are roomier if that makes any difference

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I had a 2003 C5 Z06 50th anniversary, got a C6.
The C6 is hands down the better car in ever aspect. Infinitely better headlights (the C5's barely work), better interior, better powerband, more comfortable.
The only reason to get the C5 is if you are on a budget or are trying to make a track car.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
C5Z is an excellent foundation for a track car. I'd be hesitant to spend $30k on one. Spend less and pocket the money or you can make a few mods. The 08 C6 is a much nicer car. For just driving around and occasionally beating on it, the 08 is a better choice.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
08 all the way.Power is to the 08 at 430-436. Better car all around.You can remove the top.You can get a very low mileage 08 for the kind of money you're spending.I wouldn't even consider an 04 Z for 30 grand...way,way to much money for an old body style,old technology car with crappy headlights!You'll see what I mean if you compare the c5 and c6 headlights.:seeya:

·
Registered
308 Posts
My wife and I had a pair of C5's and hers was plagued with electrical problems and headlight door gears that would always strip. We traded them in for a pair of C6's and couldn't be happier. The C6's are much more refined cars while still delivering super performance. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
518 Posts
C6 is obviously more refined and has better driveability. C5 ZO6 should be available for around $20,000 though. You can't argue with the bang-for-the-buck. You'll have a very hard time driving something that fast and fun for the money.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Get the C6 '08.. I had a similar choice, I went with the '08. and I don't regret it.
Great car, for all the reasons above. I love mine and the Targa top comes off, can't do that in a ZO6. :thumbsup3:

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
I had a 2003 C5 Z06 50th anniversary, got a C6.
The C6 is hands down the better car in ever aspect. Infinitely better headlights (the C5's barely work), better interior, better powerband, more comfortable.
The only reason to get the C5 is if you are on a budget or are trying to make a track car.
This!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
WOW! Go with your gut feeling. I'm sure if you posted this same question in the C5 section, the answers would be just the opposite. Follow your on judgement, you're the one who has to deal with the outcome. :patriot: Either way, you can't go wrong with a VETTE. :thumbsup3:

·
Registered
286 Posts
WOW! Go with your gut feeling. I'm sure if you posted this same question in the C5 section, the answers would be just the opposite.
Except I dont think I've ever heard of a C6 owner getting rid of their C6 for a C5 where as MANY owners (me included) stepped up from a C5 to the C6 and wouldnt EVER dream of going back. The ONLY way I'd consider a C5 over a C6 is if I were really under a budget that just simply didnt allow for a C6. There is not a single thing the C5 does better than the C6.

·
Registered
10,869 Posts
Except I dont think I've ever heard of a C6 owner getting rid of their C6 for a C5 where as MANY owners (me included) stepped up from a C5 to the C6 and wouldnt EVER dream of going back. The ONLY way I'd consider a C5 over a C6 is if I were really under a budget that just simply didnt allow for a C6. There is not a single thing the C5 does better than the C6.
Good stuff right there, do you live in a closet? I personally know 5 owners that went from a c6 to a c5 z there is a large difference in the two cars.I have driven both and i am still in my c5z by choice, Do you expect to get honest answers posting this in the c6 section? LOL If you plan on just enjoying the car on the weekends i suggest you drive both vehicles my money is on the c5 z, the car truly made 425 hp out of the factory.Lets talk weight of both vehicles do a search and see what you come up with you will be surprised lol there is a ton of info out there on the comparisons both technical and personal, research it

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Do you expect to get honest answers posting this in the c6 section?
I wouldn't reply since you're going to take this as a personal insult, but questioning the honesty of everyone posting here was a bit much: A lot of us here had a C5 before we upgraded to a C6. Doesn't get much more honest than first hand knowledge. I had my 2003 C5 Z06 for about 21,000 miles before trading it in for a 2006 C6 Z51.

LOL If you plan on just enjoying the car on the weekends i suggest you drive both vehicles my money is on the c5 z, the car truly made 425 hp out of the factory.
Every car dynos a little different, and the C5Z is a whopping 65lbs lighter than a base C6. Not sure why that is the deciding criteria for a guy who "just wants to enjoy his car on the weekends" though. Comparing to an LS2 car, you might have a car that might be ever so slightly marginally faster at the top of the powerband on full throttle. The OP asked about an '08C6; the LS3 C6 dynos consistently 20WHP+ over what an LS6 C5 does, so the horsepower argument is invalid. Most importantly, in the C5 you are sitting inside this all the time:

At night, visibility is this:

Now, you know what they say about opinions, but most will agree that the C6 interior, while still not up to par to its European rivals, is a big upgrade:

Its heavier, yeah, but you are protected by side airbags, the seats have adjustable lumbar support, adjustable bolsters, 6-way power, optional heaters, etc.
And the lights... There is no comparison: HID projectors vs conventional halogens.

I could go on (exterior styling, the C6 being more aerodynamic, better driveline, handling, etc) but those two I found inacceptable about the C5. Everything else was just arguable.

The C5Z is a fantastic car, no doubt. I bought one and I had a good time with it until it could afford a C6. But it is also a 15+ Year old design. Time has moved on, technology has progressed and the C6 is an all around better car, as it should be. The C4 was MUCH better than the C3, and the C5 is MUCH better than the C4. Its called progress, and the depreciation of older cars bears witness to it. If the C5 was really that great the C6 would have tanked, everyone would have kept their C5s, and their prices wouldn't be as low as they are today. In truth C6 production and sales has exceeded C5 production and sales for every year before the recession, despite the higher price. Why do people have such a pathological need to defend their purchases? The same crap was heard from the C6Z owners when the ZR1 came out "Its heavy". "Its not a real sportscar because it has a blower". "It will heat soak on the track", C6 owners bashed the C6 Z06 "the widebody looks ugly", the same crap was heard from C4 owners when the C5 came out ("the C4 looks much better"), and 100 bucks says the same crap will be repeated by C6 owners when the C7 comes out. It isn't even out already and people are complaining about it. Just be happy with your purchase and let other people make their mind about theirs.
As I said before though, for someone looking to make a track car the C5Z is a better choice. It is cheaper and lighter. When it comes to track cars cheaper is always better since you're replacing everything anyways. I believe the OP wants a street car though.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Powerlabs, you must type about 400 words a minute! You seem to always post exactly what I'm thinking except you back it all up with facts, figures, pics and vids before I've got my first sentance typed out. Well, done sir.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Powerlabs, you must type about 400 words a minute! You seem to always post exactly what I'm thinking except you back it all up with facts, figures, pics and vids before I've got my first sentance typed out. Well, done sir.
Thanks man :thumbsup3: We were having a pretty slow day at work today so I figured I'd go the extra mile... Plus, since I had both cars, I could just link pictures from my Photobucket for the post :coffeetime:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Mine's better that yours... NO!!!... Mine's better than yours... neneer, nenner, neneer.. lol :rofl:

I have to go along with Powerlabs, newer technology... sorry blu. Truth is... I would love to drive Powerlabs car, I know what he's done to his.. WOW!!! What a ride.. :thumbsup3:

Blu hasn't shared with us his mods, or photos. But I'd like to drive Blu's car too, if he's done to it what I think he has.. He probably has too much money in mods to trade up.

I love my C6 '08.. :burnout:

·
Registered
10,869 Posts
Mine's better that yours... NO!!!... Mine's better than yours... neneer, nenner, neneer.. lol :rofl:

I have to go along with Powerlabs, newer technology... sorry blu. Truth is... I would love to drive Powerlabs car, I know what he's done to his.. WOW!!! What a ride.. :thumbsup3:

Blu hasn't shared with us his mods, or photos. But I'd like to drive Blu's car too, if he's done to it what I think he has.. He probably has too much money in mods to trade up.

I love my C6 '08.. :burnout:
As i stated earlier still kickin ,I dont care for the looks of the c6 at all ......period, waiting on the c7 lets see whats brought to the table.My c5 z will go to the grave with me

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
C6 if budget allows, if not, go with the C5.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts