Chevy Corvette Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to pull my car outta winter storage this morning so I boost it and get it running decide to let it run and warm up before I move it so I park my other car outta the way. I get back and get into the car for the first time in months. I press the brake peddle and nothing the peddle goes right to the floor. So I get out and look for leaks around the mastercylinder and around the brakes themselves and under the car and I notice that the fluid resivour is a hair below the min line would that affect the brakes that much cuz everything else looked dry. I cant move the car at all untill I have some brakes because I have to back down out of a barn and if I have no brakes ill hit a tree. While investingating I let the car run to charge the battery I look up and there is smoke or steam comming off the engine so I shut it off and investiage and I find coolant pooling ontop of the intake manifold on the passanger side none on the driver side just the passenger side where is it comming from
pissing coolant2.jpg

pissing coolant.jpg

pissing coolant3.jpg
How can all this go wrong in 5 months I just wanna drive my car already. If its mice ill be pissed but atleast its all insured

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also when pumping the brakes with the car turned off the peddle got a much more normal feel but its still wierd cuz it shoud get really hard. Pumping the brakes while it was running did nothing.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
No Brakes

You obviously have a leak somewhere..........most likely at one of your calipers. You'll have to bleed the air out of your system then start looking for the cause.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
and you need a pressure tester for the coolant also......

·
Registered
799 Posts
A quick fix for the coolant just to get you to your driveway or whatever is some stop leak, you can grab some at any auto shop. Mythbusters also proved eggs work as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I've got today off so Ill have a better look and if nothing else my mechanic will come out and take a look even though its gonna be awhile before I can get the car out now the ground is way to soft and wet to drive across the yard

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I'd stay away from stop leak

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any ideas where the coolant its coming from cuz its sitting ontop of the intake how did it get all the way up there?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
there is a line that goes to the throttle body....but it could be from an intake manifold leak, but I doubt it

·
Registered
148 Posts
Bubbling water

:talk2hand:Help. Took my car out of storage today it started right up had a battery tender on for 7 months. I ran it about 20 miles took it back to my garage and I have a swithc to diconect the batery ubder the hood . When I raised it I heard water bubling in my expantion tank. I relaesed it and it was fine . i never heard that be fore I checked my radiator cap and saw that is was 16psi and should be 15psi . Could that make a differance OR is the thermostat sticking? Any help with this ???:doh:

·
Registered
836 Posts
0 Brakes !

:talk2hand:Help. Took my car out of storage today it started right up had a battery tender on for 7 months. I ran it about 20 miles took it back to my garage and I have a swithc to diconect the batery ubder the hood . When I raised it I heard water bubling in my expantion tank. I relaesed it and it was fine . i never heard that be fore I checked my radiator cap and saw that is was 16psi and should be 15psi . Could that make a differance OR is the thermostat sticking? Any help with this ???:doh:
Corvettes R Made to Drive ! Not sit in a Garage for 5 Months !

·
Registered
58 Posts
The coolant on top of the block is likely the intake mainfold gasket. Stay away from putting gunk in the rad, I tried ,no help. The right path is a pressure test to confirm
and new Gaskets. If you can do the work yourself its not an expensive fix, just needs lots of time and care.

Good Luck

·
Registered
58 Posts
The coolant on top of the block is likely the intake mainfold gasket. Stay away from putting gunk in the rad, I tried ,no help. The right path is a pressure test to confirm
and new Gaskets. If you can do the work yourself its not an expensive fix, just needs lots of time and care.

Good Luck
Sorry guys this was meant for a different post. Call me stupid.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts