• Corvette Forum
  • Login to Corvette Forums
  • SmokinVette.com
  • About SmokinVette.com
  • Corvette Forum
  • Corvette Gallery
  • Corvette Parts
  • Corvette Yellow Pages
SmokinVette.com Forums : Corvette Forums : C3 Corvette Forums : C3 Corvette General Discussion : more Horsepower in a std L48
C3 Corvette General Discussion
1968 - 1982 Corvettes Sponsored by
XS Power

Old 08-24-2007, 12:49 AM   #1
raceman
Smokin Member

Default more Horsepower in a std L48

I´m just an owner of a 350 corvettw -74 350 (L48 I guess)with 4 speed gearbox. Standard engine less than 200 horsepower, it is not good enough. My knowledge havt to be improved about V8 engines. I want 375-400. I get when I bought the car new parts :cam Erson E110421 (296° IN 228° IN .472" IN 108°. 0° .000" IN. 5750. Hi-Flow IH) A Edelbrock intake and a Edelbrock carb 650 Thunder AVS , and headers. Next step have to do something with the heads and comp I guess. What can anybody give me som support?

Thanks
Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:38 AM   #2
chexbucks
Smokin Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceman View Post
I´m just an owner of a 350 corvettw -74 350 (L48 I guess)with 4 speed gearbox. Standard engine less than 200 horsepower, it is not good enough. My knowledge havt to be improved about V8 engines. I want 375-400. I get when I bought the car new parts :cam Erson E110421 (296° IN 228° IN .472" IN 108°. 0° .000" IN. 5750. Hi-Flow IH) A Edelbrock intake and a Edelbrock carb 650 Thunder AVS , and headers. Next step have to do something with the heads and comp I guess. What can anybody give me som support?

Thanks
Get the heads port and polished would be good start.
chexbucks is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:34 AM   #3
rkyle
Smokin Member

just finished complete rebuild of 81 with 350. Bored block .030 over, decked block to 9.0, flat top pistons, hotter cam, roller rockers, World Product 2.02 heads w/ss valves, Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley 650 and put a 700-R tranny behind it all. Changed rear end gearing to 3.38. WOW what a ride. It will break em' loose shifting into 3rd. Horses estimated at 375. When weather gets better here I will take it to town for a dyno run.
rkyle is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:27 AM   #4
gonesailing
Smokin 100HP Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkyle View Post
just finished complete rebuild of 81 with 350. Bored block .030 over, decked block to 9.0, flat top pistons, hotter cam, roller rockers, World Product 2.02 heads w/ss valves, Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley 650 and put a 700-R tranny behind it all. Changed rear end gearing to 3.38. WOW what a ride. It will break em' loose shifting into 3rd. Horses estimated at 375. When weather gets better here I will take it to town for a dyno run.
Man thats alot of work, who did the work you or a shop? 375HP not to bad, you plan to get her on a dyno to see what you get?
gonesailing is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:20 PM   #5
rkyle
Smokin Member

I had a local "spped shop" do the boring, decking and piston and crank assy. I assembled and installed all other upgrades. It was a lot of fun and am looking forward to doing another vette in the near future.
rkyle is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:50 PM   #6
Grimbo
Smokin Member

my buddy has a program that you can use to punch in all the mods your going to do i.e. cam, heads, stroke, bore etc... and it does a pretty dang good job at giving you a HP TQ figures. i think its called like DYNO 2000 or something, really neat. i calculated what my build-up will be and it figures around 400hp and 430tq.
Grimbo is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:22 AM   #7
Fly-n-C3
Smokin 100HP Club

Horsepower is made in the heads and camshaft profile. With a set of high flowing heads, your hp will increase. For a street driven car, i wouldn't go over 190cc intake runer size. Remember, the more air and fuel you can stuff into a cylinder, the more power you will make.

Personaly i like the ProTopline heads, or Pro Action heads vs Dart heads. The protopline and proaction heads will out flow a Dart head right out of the box. Also don't forget about Vortec heads. These heads out of the box will flow 170cc. With mild bowl work and a better valve job these will close to 180cc.

My set up has Vortec heads, TRUE flat top pistons (no dish at all) .488 lift with .292 dur on 112LS on a 2* advance. I'm putting out around 380hp with this set up. I could get to 400hp with a little more tweeking.

As for the Dyno programs, Yes they are close, but at the end when it pumps out your hp and Torque figures, you need to deduct around 8-10% for your results. This is 90% of the time be almost right on.

Good luck on your build-up.....
Fly-n-C3 is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:47 PM   #8
Grimbo
Smokin Member

thats what my buddy said when he did the calculations and his BB, about 10% should be deducted off, but if i get somewhere in the ballpark i would be Very pleased
Grimbo is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Share This Thread
  • Submit Thread to Digg
  • Submit Thread to del.icio.us
  • Submit Thread to Facebook
  • Submit Thread to StumbleUpon
  • Submit Thread to MySpace
  • Submit Thread to Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Google