• Corvette Forum
  • Login to Corvette Forums
  • SmokinVette.com
  • About SmokinVette.com
  • Corvette Forum
  • Corvette Gallery
  • Corvette Parts
  • Corvette Yellow Pages
SmokinVette.com Forums : Corvette Forums : C3 Corvette Forums : C3 Corvette General Discussion : LS2 engine installed in C3?
C3 Corvette General Discussion
1968 - 1982 Corvettes Sponsored by
XS Power

Old 06-21-2007, 06:51 AM   #1
gonesailing
Smokin 100HP Club

Default LS2 engine installed in C3?

Just out of curiousity is it possible to take a LS2 engine and install in a 1981? Will the whole transmission and drive train need to be replaced as well? Engine mounts? I'm considering the idea of doing something "extreme" motor wise and think this may do the trick.
Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:17 PM   #2
chuckread
Smokin Member

Default Good question

I have an interest in this also. Anyone have any knowledge of how this could be done?
chuckread is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
chuckread
Smokin Member

I have an interest in this also. Anyone have any knowledge of how this could be done?
Old 06-30-2007, 03:35 AM   #4
73ls1vette
Smokin Member

Im new here ,just found this forum and saw this post.Yes you can put a ls1 ls2 or ls6 and 7 in your c3.I have a 2004 ls1 in my 73.I can add a list of things need if you guys want and where to get the stuff from. Pat
73ls1vette is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:15 PM   #5
chuckread
Smokin Member

That would be great.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:34 PM   #6
73ls1vette
Smokin Member

Alright let me start out onthe basic stuff first then the more indepth things.
1. first thing youll need is motor mount adapters so you can bolt up
to your stock chevy motor mounts.2 places that i know of http://www.hotrodlane.cc/ and http://www.vetteworksonline.com/cata...0613acddacaae7 i got mine from dan at vetteworks.
2. next is wiring harness and pcm,alot of people order a harness already made for around $550,i think its a waste of money,i took a stock 99 fbody harness $75 and hooked up 5 hot wires and a few grounds.I made a separate fuse box for the hot wires.I bought a pcm from jesse at wait4meperformance who tuned it for me for what i had in the car plus had the vats turned off for the security.Started on first try.
3.exhaust theres only afew options out there fbody exhaust manifolds,or build your own headers or do what i did and modified my sidepipes and welded on ls1 flanges that i bought from the dealer for $15 a side.It takes alittle work getting the tubes to fit the new ls1 pattern and alot of trial and error fitting them in the car but boy does it make a ls1 sound great.
4.accessorys,meaning pulleys alt.power steering etc....try and stick with firebird or camaro stuff,i had c5 brackets first but not worth the effort getting them to work, i switched to fbody.Also oil pan stick with fbody pan ,i used a truck oil pan from a 5.3 had to cut it and modify it it was too low and scraped the ground on hard bumps.
5.fuel supply.you can do 2 things modify your tank and use an intank late model pump or frame mount,i did both and switched to frame mount now.Without baffles intank i ran pump dry on hard stop and killed a walbro255 pump.As far as fuel lines and filter,use a 99 corvette fuel filter/regulator,there combined,it has a inlet on one side plus the return comes right back off of it into your tank,then single 3/8 line going to fuel rail.i can get part numbers for that also.
6.ok transmission,this is your choice,you can use anything you want,turbo 350,400,200r4,700r4,5 speed 6 speed 4l60e etc...they all bolt up im using a 700r4 since i already built it up for my old motor.The ls motors use only 5 bolts to bolt the trnsmission up one on passenger side isnt used,dont try and drill it out either.It works fine with 5 bolts.Now if your using anything else besides 4l60e or a 6 speed then youll need a crankshaft spacer and 6 longer bolts from the dealer .Whats this does is help align the hub of the convertor into it,since the ls cranks are shorter.You use a stock ls1 starter also.
Now alot of guys want to do the swap but dont have tons of money ,all ill say is search everywhere for the best deals,the forum for sale sections,ebay,friends etc...i did my whole swap including building my ls1 from a brand new bare block for $1800.ls1tech is another good place for parts cheap .I basically did this swap on a budget to prove it can be done cheap not $5000 that i see guys spending.I have a 99 block,2004 c5 crank ,rods, pistons, heads,2002 ls6 intake and injectors and throttle body,99 harness and pcm.Hope thsi helps some and if you have questions just ask.
http://rides.webshots.com/album/175347169dDabMZ
73ls1vette is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:16 AM   #7
joshuatree
Smokin Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ls1vette View Post
Alright let me start out onthe basic stuff first then the more indepth things.
1. first thing youll need is motor mount adapters so you can bolt up
to your stock chevy motor mounts.2 places that i know of http://www.hotrodlane.cc/ and http://www.vetteworksonline.com/cata...0613acddacaae7 i got mine from dan at vetteworks.
2. next is wiring harness and pcm,alot of people order a harness already made for around $550,i think its a waste of money,i took a stock 99 fbody harness $75 and hooked up 5 hot wires and a few grounds.I made a separate fuse box for the hot wires.I bought a pcm from jesse at wait4meperformance who tuned it for me for what i had in the car plus had the vats turned off for the security.Started on first try.
3.exhaust theres only afew options out there fbody exhaust manifolds,or build your own headers or do what i did and modified my sidepipes and welded on ls1 flanges that i bought from the dealer for $15 a side.It takes alittle work getting the tubes to fit the new ls1 pattern and alot of trial and error fitting them in the car but boy does it make a ls1 sound great.
4.accessorys,meaning pulleys alt.power steering etc....try and stick with firebird or camaro stuff,i had c5 brackets first but not worth the effort getting them to work, i switched to fbody.Also oil pan stick with fbody pan ,i used a truck oil pan from a 5.3 had to cut it and modify it it was too low and scraped the ground on hard bumps.
5.fuel supply.you can do 2 things modify your tank and use an intank late model pump or frame mount,i did both and switched to frame mount now.Without baffles intank i ran pump dry on hard stop and killed a walbro255 pump.As far as fuel lines and filter,use a 99 corvette fuel filter/regulator,there combined,it has a inlet on one side plus the return comes right back off of it into your tank,then single 3/8 line going to fuel rail.i can get part numbers for that also.
6.ok transmission,this is your choice,you can use anything you want,turbo 350,400,200r4,700r4,5 speed 6 speed 4l60e etc...they all bolt up im using a 700r4 since i already built it up for my old motor.The ls motors use only 5 bolts to bolt the trnsmission up one on passenger side isnt used,dont try and drill it out either.It works fine with 5 bolts.Now if your using anything else besides 4l60e or a 6 speed then youll need a crankshaft spacer and 6 longer bolts from the dealer .Whats this does is help align the hub of the convertor into it,since the ls cranks are shorter.You use a stock ls1 starter also.
Now alot of guys want to do the swap but dont have tons of money ,all ill say is search everywhere for the best deals,the forum for sale sections,ebay,friends etc...i did my whole swap including building my ls1 from a brand new bare block for $1800.ls1tech is another good place for parts cheap .I basically did this swap on a budget to prove it can be done cheap not $5000 that i see guys spending.I have a 99 block,2004 c5 crank ,rods, pistons, heads,2002 ls6 intake and injectors and throttle body,99 harness and pcm.Hope thsi helps some and if you have questions just ask.
http://rides.webshots.com/album/175347169dDabMZ
Awsome post! I bought a 1977 C3 corvette about 7 months ago and it has been sitting under a car cover waiting for me to have the time to mess around with it -project car- I thought about putting a newer engine it, just didn't know how realistic it would be to do so. your post was a blessing to see! thanks

josh
joshuatree is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:11 AM   #8
gonesailing
Smokin 100HP Club

Good stuff guys thank you! I have a nice little project in front of me and going to need all the help I can get.
gonesailing is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 07:32 AM   #9
joshuatree
Smokin Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesailing View Post
Good stuff guys thank you! I have a nice little project in front of me and going to need all the help I can get.
Yeh you have a project! The LS2 amazing engine, I would love to see how this turns out for you. Can't say I will do the same, actually wish I could. You have to work with what you got!
joshuatree is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:55 AM   #10
bigboy
Smokin Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesailing View Post
Just out of curiousity is it possible to take a LS2 engine and install in a 1981? Will the whole transmission and drive train need to be replaced as well? Engine mounts? I'm considering the idea of doing something "extreme" motor wise and think this may do the trick.
You can do that? I have a 1982 Vette and love the new Vettes, matter of fact a month ago or so, I had the chance to pick up an LS2 engine a friend of mine removed from his Vette because he put a bigger motor in it. He was going to sell me the engine for $1,500!
bigboy is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Share This Thread
  • Submit Thread to Digg
  • Submit Thread to del.icio.us
  • Submit Thread to Facebook
  • Submit Thread to StumbleUpon
  • Submit Thread to MySpace
  • Submit Thread to Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Google