• Corvette Forum
  • Login to Corvette Forums
  • SmokinVette.com
  • About SmokinVette.com
  • Corvette Forum
  • Corvette Gallery
  • Corvette Parts
  • Corvette Yellow Pages
SmokinVette.com Forums : Corvette Forums : Performance & Racing : Naturally Aspirated Engines : LS1 to LS3 conversion
Naturally Aspirated Engines
N/A Engine discussion Only

Old 07-07-2008, 10:53 AM   #1
Paul Massingberd
Smokin Member

Send a message via AIM to Paul Massingberd
Default LS1 to LS3 conversion

I have a 1999 C5 with an LS1 setup for road racing
I want to update it to a LS3 has anyone done this ?
do you have to change the computor ?
thanks
Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:28 PM   #2
DynamicTuningSolutions
Agent
Supporting Vendor/Tuner

Send a message via Yahoo to DynamicTuningSolutions Send a message via Skype™ to DynamicTuningSolutions

Paul. The main thing that changes is the crank reluctor and pickup. You will need LS1 style pieces. Also the injectors are different on an LS3 than LS1 but there are adaptors etc for that.
DynamicTuningSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:18 AM   #3
cntrhub
Banned

If I where to set this car up for racing is plug and play. I would first find my 3V's is ask 99Vette99 for those 3 variables is you keep reading me, (or blank post back is yet to ear from him is blow him off the track).

Now I'd plug in the updated ECM in the race wire harness. Then if the old fires off the new then the new will fire off the old, ECMeaning... Is click it once is the electrical signal once that volt spike 360's the crank signal and she says go to the fuel pump is fire it up, now lettuce line up.

Get it? Hard core values is we do not fudge stick around on the ground or under day car is hood is up tool/too; is look at the basics is that 4th variable on the fire off you about to graduate playing ECMy Black Box change out of my pocket$ was that a wasted call; is lucky I did not pull the engine with the new crank signal did or did not work is a junkyard ECM, a few colored wires from harness to race harness to black box is plug and play the piggyback on your back is move the focjocksick "Car Sick" following you over 3 turns already now. Is you need some sort of driving school poop'd day piped up yer (you know wear out that tiny hole is)!
Brake an A-arm on a G-force or string is easier than driving a 10penny nail up yer (you know WOT is break my hammer handle on the 20 ounce ear).

<Insert thumb is I am about to puke in my helmet it's getting car sick in ear watching you is.

For the injector call is the leave it alone. Your ECM does not care what 'cut signal' is applied to an injector are 3 basics. Flow times 60 seconds/angle of injector placed/spray hole patterns = Cut the fuel fat w/piggyback-Bump the HP with a different angle and or spray is to whoop you bad is learn the basicks or you are chasing tail and not the front runners.

Why race? = Cause I know the 12 basic notes and have yet to degree in a cam or set a shock rebound is drive like Fireball Roberts who told Smokey, "Don't touch a thing"... (poor smoke key and all that chassis in his head waiting for input)

You are gonna install HighPro shocks is as if that will help you and here is Fireball all adjustments made in the head is ready steady needs all that **** is balls to day wall!

So, you do all that batter change-up thinking you need to squirt some cones is eye got yer key cone is OIL MY TRACK 2WheelU is we is both up is now someone throw the flag.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=rEiyWH-xW1g

Last edited by cntrhub; 07-08-2008 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Injector call is the ball is
cntrhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:28 AM   #4
TCR-02
Smokin 300HP Club

I think ECS did one for the owner of corvettekillstories.com. Same type of setup. He didnt say anything about much custom work or fabrication but it did make decent power.
TCR-02 is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:30 PM   #5
Paul Massingberd
Smokin Member

Send a message via AIM to Paul Massingberd

thanks for the reply's
I appreciate it
Paul Massingberd is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:21 PM   #6
99vette
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Massingberd View Post
I have a 1999 C5 with an LS1 setup for road racing
I want to update it to a LS3 has anyone done this ?
do you have to change the computor ?
thanks
THe answer would change some depending on which trannie is used and if car is stripped of most functions not needed for racing.

Then put a stake in ground as which wiring harness using, LS1/6 or LS3.

Part of deciding, the PCM for LS3 is much faster over the slower 1999 PCM ( 40 Mhz V 16.7 Mhz) and has more tuning ability BUT I suggest staying with the older PCM but having it flashed with a 2003 Z06 GM calibration and tuning that( unless car has A4 then flash as 2003 base vette ). This allows the existing BCM to handle functions like ABS, TC, A/C if maintaining it.

If using your stock 1999 PCM, flashing it as a 2003 and using existing LS1 wiring loom then you have sliight wiring changes as MAP is moved on LS3 intake and you have to change the reluctor wheel for crank sensor.

I have done both ways where racecar is totally stripped and had no BCM and where the swap used the LS3 but looked like a LS1/6 as to the electronics.

If using the LS3 intake manifold brings other issues such as slight wiring differences for motor of throttlebody.
LS3 uses different fuel injectors the have a different height as C5 and also have a different wiring connector.

If using a 2001-2004 intake then I'd suggest the C5R injectors which are the same as used on Grand National or SC3800, they are 40 lb/hr over the LS3s 32 lb/hr.

If using the LS3 setup then you have to change all 8 injector wiring connectors from your LS1 wiring loom.

Now as to trannie, clearly if the car has the A4 and your PCM is also the trannie controller and the C6 A6 has its own internal TCM then it would not work with the older LS1.

I highly recommend you maintain the BCM as it does not weight much and handles the safety functions.

I just did a LS3 into a 1960 Nova, in this case used a 2002 Camaro PCM calibration so that drive by wire used for vette was not needed.

In any case I would via tune turn off VATs, column lock and the speed limit of 1.5 MPH if PCM thinks CL failed.
99vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:12 PM   #7
DynamicTuningSolutions
Agent
Supporting Vendor/Tuner

Send a message via Yahoo to DynamicTuningSolutions Send a message via Skype™ to DynamicTuningSolutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99vette View Post
If using a 2001-2004 intake then I'd suggest the C5R injectors which are the same as used on Grand National or SC3800, they are 40 lb/hr over the LS3s 32 lb/hr.
Don't think the ports on an LS1/LS6 OR LS2 intake will line up very good on an LS3 head...
DynamicTuningSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:04 PM   #8
99vette
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicTuningSolutions View Post
Don't think the ports on an LS1/LS6 OR LS2 intake will line up very good on an LS3 head...
Yes what I meant is the C5 fuel rail is it allows for the injector height difference else the C6 rail would require shimming the brackets if the C5R injectors are used or the Ford race injectors which also use the older wiring connector shape
99vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 04:55 AM   #9
cntrhub
Banned

You can remain stock and up the injector fuel pressure is a cheap loophole. Say the std fuel pressure is 43-45lbs.? You can bump the fuel pressure up to 100psi no prob is make sure there are no fuel rails that are made of the plastic (style) is the o-ring may pop out or fail as the plastic pops out of the assembled sealed connection (at the o-ring) or the plastic rail cracks/splits at the weakest link.

Right there is a save of all that money/work is bump the fuel injector pressure via watch the and lock the rail pressure via the fuel pump relief valve is to mash the spring down is crush the relief valve housing is one way to loophole the stock pump assembly.

As far as the crank sensor, is not 360 degrees 360 degrees? You may have that tone wheel on the crank is a signal either ECMight recognize?

I would 'first try the 3V's' to make the late ECM light off the early telemetry. All you need are the 3 variables (ask 99 for the 3V's) is see if that lights off the fuel rail is that injector signal on the crank throw and if say she shoots 38deg full advance or say 36degs on the old ECM (for argument sake), you can piggy the advance curve (manually/electrically) to max hack is let it ride in that fixed advance setting. Meaning, in a less advanced set is the safety hack.

As far as open/closed loop, your racing wire harness is just 3 (main) wires off the ECM is (now) open loop; (so as not to write a book making harness if you knew the telemetry engine killers).

Now if say the fuel reversion is too much fuel and you could use a lean-out process is to drill a (testing to find the right numbered hole size), in each exhaust header; say out about 4'' from the header pipe.
You suck in cold air is the reversion is less fuel is you are way too much rail pressure is that rich set (not even a piggy on the electrics, (yet). Just the mechanical pressure heading in faster is same cut signal only a touch fat. No electrical injector cut needed, (or maybe). Who knows?

This drill mod acts more the lean signal is what all the other 02 (telemetry) is setup to do; is add fresh air so the gas can keep burning before the cat honeycomb.

As far as the clock speed of the ECM's is that faster analog process; is who cares! You still fire off at the required advance mark is 360 degrees. Not too concerned if you feel an electronic signal as opposed to a digital signal being faster say (from year to the next is now 3-D maps= WOT next?). It's just a drive-ability smoothing thing; is you are not too concerned about how it lights off is use a plasma ignition off an airplane application say if you want a hot spark.

Why invest all that money when you can update a car on a trade-in or you know.... Cost exceeds a new ride is update the who car why don'tcha. WE are getting a little bit into the R&D of tee lem eee tree.

Lots of trees of diagnosing it out is all that time and money testing. It now becomes way too complicated you chasing a faster running circuit board in the black box.
Why not just an exhaust/an intake change; rebuild the ball joints in the front end and align the wheels like a F1 car is go find some Lambo's.

So, WOT are we up to is, 99's tune and my tuning approach? He's got you changing out the tone wheel off the crank it 360. I got you with a 3wire deal (without going complex to explain is way too basic simple the way) out of a used ECM with a few wires out of that black box. A fuel rail change of pressure, (sans the muff-a/c change) are 3 changes.
You add that ECU in the mix i$ getting expen$ive now.

Remember is that 360 is gonna fire at the correct degree is equal speeds say both fire on that degree if you side by side both (engines) light off at said degree = 360. The late box is telemetry is faster is a smooth analog feel to the gas pedal is all. Same degree fired, just feels a touch smoother feel.

Call me, Re-luck-tore free. < Same degree'd fired. Way more fuel than I need is the rail pressure and or piggy to cut the injector time long/short = Rich/Lean. Ragged digital degree now is harsh and I mean a harsh ride is the hack away from 02 (is eliminated now). We are now at the 1Atmo fire in the complex say.

If you knew your 12Varialble'basics, you would not be so confused is 9 can get you there too. Or, maybe not. Keep reading diss is so complex is way too simple to explain the shop manual abstract code pages. Is wear out your brain eye get the info from is in the absolute way the car fires off. < Looking atchew

YOu are getting closer than you think a dink are easy steps to the; think it out what you are touching and WOT not to touch. Eye sea way too many parts being swapped for nothing.
cntrhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Share This Thread
  • Submit Thread to Digg
  • Submit Thread to del.icio.us
  • Submit Thread to Facebook
  • Submit Thread to StumbleUpon
  • Submit Thread to MySpace
  • Submit Thread to Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Google