• Corvette Forum
  • Login to Corvette Forums
  • SmokinVette.com
  • About SmokinVette.com
  • Corvette Forum
  • Corvette Gallery
  • Corvette Parts
  • Corvette Yellow Pages
SmokinVette.com Forums : Corvette Forums : C3 Corvette Forums : C3 Corvette General Discussion : New AC/system
C3 Corvette General Discussion
1968 - 1982 Corvettes Sponsored by
XS Power

Old 01-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
Voler
Smokin Member

Default New AC/system

OK all its time, any suggestions on AC? Its for my 75 and I am leaning hard to a Vintage air system. Anyone ever use this system? Original AC is complet but leaks down over night 2lb in 24 hr. Figuer I could dump boat loads of cash in the original or upgrade to a new vintage air system. Thoughts? If I upgrade any restorers looking for a fully complet Factory AC?
Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
crossflag
Smokin 400HP Club

Not that hard to fix this yourself for under $100.
I got everything off e-bay
Vacuum pump to drain system ( works off a air compressor )
Retro fittings for low and high ports
dye and r-12 refridgerent
gauges and hoses.
First put dye in the system and find the leak. drain the system then fix the leak. fill the system back up to specs. I did this with my 92 and it works great. Filling the system on a very warm day works better.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:54 AM   #3
toobroketoretire
Smokin 5000HP+ Posting Maniac

Default Repairing Your Original System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voler View Post
OK all its time, any suggestions on AC? Its for my 75 and I am leaning hard to a Vintage air system. Anyone ever use this system? Original AC is complete but leaks down over night 2lb in 24 hr. Figured I could dump boat loads of cash in the original or upgrade to a new vintage air system. Thoughts? If I upgrade any restorers looking for a fully complete factory AC?

If I were you I would fix your original system because it's so easy to fix and the cost would only be a tiny fraction of a Vintage Air system.

I bought a leak detector for $175 many years ago and quickly found the source of my leak (the evaporator). I replaced the evaporator and then replaced all of the 0-rings in the lines and compressor and then pulled it down with my little J.C. Whitney air-operated vacuum pump (about $65 and available at Autozone and other parts vendors).

Also you'll need to replace the compressor's ceramic shaft seal ($about $18) and the tools required are also readily available for about $25.

If you'd like some e-mail tutoring I'll be glad to help you out. Just e-mail me at sw82vette@yahoo.com and I'll walk you thru the process of fixing your system.

Do you have a 6-cylinder compressor or a flat 4-cylinder compressor? If you have the 6-cylinder compressor you have one of the very best compressors ever made as they displace 12-3/4 cubic inches and run incredibly smooth.
toobroketoretire is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:59 AM   #4
toobroketoretire

Quote:
OK all its time, any suggestions on AC? Its for my 75 and I am leaning hard to a Vintage air system. Anyone ever use this system? Original AC is complet but leaks down over night 2lb in 24 hr. Figuer I could dump boat loads of cash in the original or upgrade to a new vintage air system. Thoughts? If I upgrade any restorers looking for a fully complet Factory AC?

By the way, if the underside of your hood right above the clutch is damp with oil or has oil stains your compressor's front ceramic seal is leaking. Those seals aren't hard to replace and are only about $18 plus the $25 cost of the tools needed (any auto parts store would stock the tools). And anytime you have to replace the compressor seal it's wise to replace the 5-6 o-rings in the lines, evaporator, and rear of compressor.
toobroketoretire is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
fishslayer143@yahoo.com

The Vintage system is nice, from what I hear, but quite a job to install...Palm Beach Vette recently did his..he can give you first hand info.... but I go along with the others,..fixing yours may not cost that much, first find the leak, go from there.
fishslayer143@yahoo.com is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
Voler
Smokin Member

Thanks for the info, I droped it at a shop I trust, Tolled em to find the leak and repair it then see if the rest of the system is ok. If its all good they will tear it back down clean and reasemble under hood lines and condeser. If I have to spend over 700 to working, ill replace the entier system.
Voler is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
crossflag
Smokin 400HP Club

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I droped it at a shop I trust, Tolled em to find the leak and repair it then see if the rest of the system is ok. If its all good they will tear it back down clean and reasemble under hood lines and condeser. If I have to spend over 700 to working, ill replace the entier system.
Just curious, did they do the repairs for a fair price?
Advertisement

Share This Thread
  • Submit Thread to Digg
  • Submit Thread to del.icio.us
  • Submit Thread to Facebook
  • Submit Thread to StumbleUpon
  • Submit Thread to MySpace
  • Submit Thread to Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Google