• Corvette Forum
  • Login to Corvette Forums
  • SmokinVette.com
  • About SmokinVette.com
  • Corvette Forum
  • Corvette Gallery
  • Corvette Parts
  • Corvette Yellow Pages
SmokinVette.com Forums : Corvette Forums : C4 Corvette Forums : C4 Corvette General Discussion : Is mini leak possible??
C4 Corvette General Discussion
1984 - 1996 Corvettes

Old 12-02-2012, 06:55 AM   #1
BSenzina
Smokin 400HP Club

Default Is mini leak possible??

I have been having problems with my 84 brakes being inadequate. It makes me nervous because when some numb-nuts pulls out in front of me, or cuts me off, I have to jump on the brakes and PRAY i have enought room.....there is NO WAY I could lock the brakes up or get anywhere close. The master was leaking badly, so i purchased a brand new one. At the same time, ceramic pads were recommended since it was getting close to pad time anyway. It helped a bit, but not much.
Rather than throw parts and $$$ at an unknown problem, I am trying to actually figure it out. It was suggested either the booster was bad, or not enough vaccuum. I connected with a company people spoke highly of at a car show. They checked it out and think maybe the booster has a minor leak. We cant hear anything when the pedal is pressed either. They checked the hose and check valve also.
The question is this.......is it possible to have such poor brakes and just a minor, hard to detect leak in the booster??? Who makes a good booster, and is there such an animal as an "upgrade" to a stonger booster??? If the booster doesnt solve it, I am switching to Hawk pads.
Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
toobroketoretire
Smokin 5000HP+ Posting Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSenzina View Post
I have been having problems with my 84 brakes being inadequate. It makes me nervous because when some numb-nuts pulls out in front of me, or cuts me off, I have to jump on the brakes and PRAY i have enought room.....there is NO WAY I could lock the brakes up or get anywhere close. The master was leaking badly, so i purchased a brand new one. At the same time, ceramic pads were recommended since it was getting close to pad time anyway. It helped a bit, but not much.
Rather than throw parts and $$$ at an unknown problem, I am trying to actually figure it out. It was suggested either the booster was bad, or not enough vaccuum. I connected with a company people spoke highly of at a car show. They checked it out and think maybe the booster has a minor leak. We cant hear anything when the pedal is pressed either. They checked the hose and check valve also.
The question is this.......is it possible to have such poor brakes and just a minor, hard to detect leak in the booster??? Who makes a good booster, and is there such an animal as an "upgrade" to a stonger booster??? If the booster doesnt solve it, I am switching to Hawk pads.

I have read the solution to weak brakes in the early C4's is to install an electric vacuum pump set to a much higher vacuum than the engine can produce. As stopping power is directly related to the booster's diameter and the caliper's piston diameters by increasing the vacuum in the booster you can greatly improve your stopping power.
toobroketoretire is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Share This Thread
  • Submit Thread to Digg
  • Submit Thread to del.icio.us
  • Submit Thread to Facebook
  • Submit Thread to StumbleUpon
  • Submit Thread to MySpace
  • Submit Thread to Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Google