• Corvette Forum
  • Login to Corvette Forums
  • SmokinVette.com
  • About SmokinVette.com
  • Corvette Forum
  • Corvette Gallery
  • Corvette Parts
  • Corvette Yellow Pages
SmokinVette.com Forums : Corvette Forums : C3 Corvette Forums : C3 Corvette General Discussion : Need more cool air in the cabin, would this work?
C3 Corvette General Discussion
1968 - 1982 Corvettes Sponsored by
XS Power

Old 12-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
Haggisbash
Smokin Member

Default Need more cool air in the cabin, would this work?

My 70 coupe had air con originally, but now pretty much all that's left of it are the console controls. I was toying with the idea of connecting the dash vents (the ducts are missing) to where the vents are in the kick panels in a non air con car. Would this work? There are no holes in the inner guards at present but I cant see too many issues in putting in a couple. The air could be controlled by the dash vents, would I need inline fans as well? Resurrecting the air con would be way outside my budget from what I've seen of the parts pricing.
Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:25 AM   #2
fishslayer143@yahoo.com
Super Moderator

why is it so hot in your car? is the heater still intact and connected to supply hoses? there is already fresh air supply coming in thru cowl,when you are moving .. open the kick panel vents ... the blower , if it is missing too, is still available at most parts supply or online...not expensive

Last edited by fishslayer143@yahoo.com; 12-02-2012 at 04:29 AM.
fishslayer143@yahoo.com is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
MIKE80
Smokin 200HP Club

I installed shut off valves on the heater hoses to stop any transfer of heat to the heater core. It made a big difference in keeping the cabin cooler. I also thermal insulated inside the cabin thoughout, and also outside the transmission tunnel, and firewall. Here's a pick where you can see the shut off valves. I installed brass ball valves and used red Plasti Dip on the handles to keep with the red theme under the hood.

MIKE80 is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
fishslayer143@yahoo.com
Super Moderator

yeah,Mikes right... thats why I was asking if heater is still there and connected.. the OEM vacuum powered shut-offs fail and hot water continues to flow .. but you only need to shut off one side...by the way, nice engine compartment Mike

Last edited by fishslayer143@yahoo.com; 12-03-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:08 AM   #5
Haggisbash
Smokin Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys,see that's the thing, this car has no vents in the kick panels, the front clip has been replaced by the PO and the new one has nothing there hence my idea to put holes in the inside and connect to the dash vents with flexible tube. There are no shutoff valves vacuum or otherwise in the heater circuit that I can find. I'm thinking of pulling the heater blower out to see if there is any air getting to it from outside because even when the blower is running flat out it doesn't blow very much at all. I have read somewhere that the blower didn't have a lot of blow even when new? There are two vac hoses that have been cut from the heater control in the centre console, one white stripe, one green stripe, I believe that I should be able to put a vac operated water valve on the firewall and control the hot water this way, I see in a post that you can get one for a Buick for a few dollars that looks perfect for the job. If anyone's thinking this is all a bit "bubbaish" This car although very tidy is a long way from a matching numbers one so I am more interested in making it a pleasurable driver than doing a restoration.
Haggisbash is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
Slicktop
Smokin 1000HP Twin Turbo Club

Back in the day I owned many cars that did not have AC. That is why side windows can be lowered, and it works. Put your window down and cool off. Try that instead of messing your car up more.......

Last edited by Slicktop; 12-03-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Slicktop is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #7
toobroketoretire
Smokin 5000HP+ Posting Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktop View Post
Back in the day I owned may cars that did not have AC. That is why side windows can be lowered, and it works. Put your window down and cool off. Try that instead of messing your car up more.......

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned but I have always liked the little crank-open "vent" windows. By simply opening those windows a little bit the air circulation inside was terrific. So I really hated to see them discontinued...............
toobroketoretire is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
Slicktop
Smokin 1000HP Twin Turbo Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobroketoretire View Post
Maybe I'm just old-fashioned but I have always liked the little crank-open "vent" windows. By simply opening those windows a little bit the air circulation inside was terrific. So I really hated to see them discontinued...............
Yep, just another reason to "go back to the future" and get a C2.
Slicktop is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #9
lostvette
Smokin 750HP Supercharged Club

Just Roll The Windows DOWN !
Old 12-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
fishslayer143@yahoo.com
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktop View Post
Yep, just another reason to "go back to the future" and get a C2.
boy ,would I love to do that...go back and get my 66 427/4spd Convertible !! but it had factory A/C....got a DeLorean and a Flux Capacitor I could borrow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Share This Thread
  • Submit Thread to Digg
  • Submit Thread to del.icio.us
  • Submit Thread to Facebook
  • Submit Thread to StumbleUpon
  • Submit Thread to MySpace
  • Submit Thread to Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Google