• Corvette Forum
  • Login to Corvette Forums
  • SmokinVette.com
  • About SmokinVette.com
  • Corvette Forum
  • Corvette Gallery
  • Corvette Parts
  • Corvette Yellow Pages
SmokinVette.com Forums : Corvette Forums : C3 Corvette Forums : C3 Corvette General Discussion : 71 vet noisy exhaust
C3 Corvette General Discussion
1968 - 1982 Corvettes Sponsored by
XS Power

Old 11-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #1
kenny k
Smokin 50HP Club

Default 71 vet noisy exhaust

I put in a new motor, fired it up , and I hear a clanging sound coming from driver side exhaust , sounds like a bolt fell down the exhaust pipe. I unbolted every thing and reassembled it. Still hear the clanging , when I hit the exhaust pipes on the passenger side it sounds solid no problem, but when I tap on the driver side I hear the clanging , I have looked at it and nothing seems to be hitting anything, I unbolted the exhaust and inserted magnets vacuum hoses to see if there is a nut or bolt inside and came up empty handed.I am thinking maybe the muffler has a loose baffle or something if I hit the exhaust with my hand right under the header I hear the clang. It's got me baffled no pun intended. Any ideas what this can be? Also when the car idles there's no clanging but when I rev the motor I hear the noise.Thanks K.K.
Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
fishslayer143@yahoo.com
Super Moderator

its probably that 9/16 inch wrench you can t find..LOL! ... take the muffler off and shake it ,see if it makes the clank
fishslayer143@yahoo.com is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
toobroketoretire
Smokin 5000HP+ Posting Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny k View Post
I put in a new motor, fired it up , and I hear a clanging sound coming from driver side exhaust , sounds like a bolt fell down the exhaust pipe. I unbolted every thing and reassembled it. Still hear the clanging , when I hit the exhaust pipes on the passenger side it sounds solid no problem, but when I tap on the driver side I hear the clanging , I have looked at it and nothing seems to be hitting anything, I unbolted the exhaust and inserted magnets vacuum hoses to see if there is a nut or bolt inside and came up empty handed.I am thinking maybe the muffler has a loose baffle or something if I hit the exhaust with my hand right under the header I hear the clang. It's got me baffled no pun intended. Any ideas what this can be? Also when the car idles there's no clanging but when I rev the motor I hear the noise.Thanks K.K.

It's not at all unusual for the internal pipes or baffles to break loose inside a muffler and rattle around. The only way to be reasonably sure is thump on the muffler itself.............
toobroketoretire is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
kenny k
Smokin 50HP Club

Thanks , my muffler is welded on so I guess I'm going to hack saw it off and go from there.
kenny k is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
toobroketoretire
Smokin 5000HP+ Posting Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny k View Post
Thanks , my muffler is welded on so I guess I'm going to hack saw it off and go from there.

I ended up making my own mufflers using 2-1/2" tubing thruout. Yes, it was a LOT of work but they came out fantastic. About $100 for the pair and three days of my time...............
toobroketoretire is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Share This Thread
  • Submit Thread to Digg
  • Submit Thread to del.icio.us
  • Submit Thread to Facebook
  • Submit Thread to StumbleUpon
  • Submit Thread to MySpace
  • Submit Thread to Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Google