• Corvette Forum
  • Login to Corvette Forums
  • SmokinVette.com
  • About SmokinVette.com
  • Corvette Forum
  • Corvette Gallery
  • Corvette Parts
  • Corvette Yellow Pages
SmokinVette.com Forums : Corvette Forums : C3 Corvette Forums : C3 Corvette General Discussion : 73 running rough
C3 Corvette General Discussion
1968 - 1982 Corvettes Sponsored by
XS Power

Old 11-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
chav73
Smokin 100HP Club

Default 73 running rough

The particulars
73 l-82 automatic. Recently restored. Ran fine until it started missing at running temp. Fire from distributor. Plugs soaking wet -2 middle cylinders on passenger side, two end cylinders on driver side. Changed all plugs, no avail. Raw fuel smell obvious from gas not igniting. Running HEI. New distributor. Running Carter carb with electric choke. I am thinking it is a carb problem. no obvious signs of intake issue. Took carb off to take to my carb shop. Any ideas? Thanx to anyone with an opinion.
Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
fishslayer143@yahoo.com
Smokin 5000HP+ Posting Maniac

sounds like a stuck or misadjusted choke or flooding because of float or needle and seat issue
fishslayer143@yahoo.com is online now   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
chav73
Smokin 100HP Club

Default 73 running rough

thanks fish. Why just those cylinders and not all? If i have to buy a new carb, what would you suggest? I had the carb rejetted 8 mos ago because it was running a bit rich. Intake is an Edelbrock with slight rise, not too crazy, no spacer for the carb and that Carter. Have an old Q jet but dont wanna rebuild it. Wanna go new if i have to. i trust your opinion.
chav73 is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
fishslayer143@yahoo.com

thats a good question..usually fuel runs downhill..it could be thats just where it stopped in the firing order..you might try dialing back the choke setting, it might just be holding too long ... if it is your carb, and you don t want to rebuild it, Edelbrock has a pretty good, affordable, Performer 600CFM .. or the old reliable Holley 600 CFM..either are good options.. the Q-jet would require adapter plate.... I run Quickfuel on mine,best ever made in my opinion ,, but they are mighty pricey for a stock motor..
Old 11-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
chav73
Smokin 100HP Club

Default 73 running rough

Thanks again fish...going to take it to my carb guys to check out. I will fill you in when I figure out the issue. At least I drove it 10 miles with no issues...Those were 10 satisfying miles though, haha
Old 11-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #6
toobroketoretire

Default Flooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav73 View Post
The particulars
73 l-82 automatic. Recently restored. Ran fine until it started missing at running temp. Fire from distributor. Plugs soaking wet -2 middle cylinders on passenger side, two end cylinders on driver side. Changed all plugs, no avail. Raw fuel smell obvious from gas not igniting. Running HEI. New distributor. Running Carter carb with electric choke. I am thinking it is a carb problem. no obvious signs of intake issue. Took carb off to take to my carb shop. Any ideas? Thanx to anyone with an opinion.

From what you're saying about the wet plugs that indicates the left side of your carburetor is flooding. The left side feeds the #2 and #4 cylinders on the right side and the #1 and #7 cylinders on the left side.

Flooding is almost always caused by a little piece of debris that has gotten stuck in the needle and seat and sometimes just giving it an extended full throttle in 3rd gear will allow the debris to pass.

The other cause of flooding is fuel pressure that is too high. Are you running the stock mechanical fuel pump or an electric fuel pump. A "pulse" type fuel pump doesn't usually need a bypass back to the tank but a "continuous run" type does.
toobroketoretire is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:47 AM   #7
chav73
Smokin 100HP Club

Default 73 running rough

thanx too broke. i dropped it off yesterday to my carb guy and he is going to take it apart, inspect and clean it. I appreciate your reply. I am hoping that it is a simple issue.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:18 AM   #8
chav73
Smokin 100HP Club

Default 73 runnin rough

so the verdict was that the carb needed a good cleaning. Dirt in the bottom half- not dust. Bathed it and regasketed. Put it on last night. Wow what a diff...Best i can tell is when the dropped the tranny and moved the engine, they may have displaced some of the dirt to affect the carb...Purrs now. If only it was warm enoough to take it out. Still have the t tops off. Probably will take her around the block tonite. Thanks for all the input.

On another note, does anyone ever have probs with the gauges on their c-5? Oil gauge sweeps then buries at the high side.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:56 AM   #9
fishslayer143@yahoo.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav73 View Post
so the verdict was that the carb needed a good cleaning. Dirt in the bottom half- not dust. Bathed it and regasketed. Put it on last night. Wow what a diff...Best i can tell is when the dropped the tranny and moved the engine, they may have displaced some of the dirt to affect the carb...Purrs now. If only it was warm enoough to take it out. Still have the t tops off. Probably will take her around the block tonite. Thanks for all the input.

On another note, does anyone ever have probs with the gauges on their c-5? Oil gauge sweeps then buries at the high side.
on a C5, right ? we re kinda crossing forums ,but sure, got one of those too... if your C5 oil presure gauge buries while running or not , its a bad sending unit.. $45 at any parts store...but its behind the manifold, just like a C3 and a real bitch to get at...very tiny hands or remove manifold ....some of us have relocated ours..there are relocation kits .. they fail pretty regularly from the heat, so expect to do it more than once... and glad you got the flooding issue fixed on your C3 ..

Last edited by fishslayer143@yahoo.com; 12-12-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:21 AM   #10
chav73
Smokin 100HP Club

Default 73 running rough

Thanks fish. My 2000's oil pressure gauge sarts at o (far left) the sweeps, backs off a little, then buries far right. The HUD reflects full pressure vertically. I am gonna have to take it to the dealer to make sure diag is correct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Share This Thread
  • Submit Thread to Digg
  • Submit Thread to del.icio.us
  • Submit Thread to Facebook
  • Submit Thread to StumbleUpon
  • Submit Thread to MySpace
  • Submit Thread to Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Google