• Corvette Forum
  • Login to Corvette Forums
  • SmokinVette.com
  • About SmokinVette.com
  • Corvette Forum
  • Corvette Gallery
  • Corvette Parts
  • Corvette Yellow Pages
SmokinVette.com Forums : Corvette Forums : C3 Corvette Forums : C3 Tech & Performance : 700r4
C3 Tech & Performance

Old 10-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
USNChief
Smokin 3000HP Drag Racer

Question 700r4

Well, it's time for the switch from the TH350 to the 700r4.

I currently have 385 hp and 427 ft pounds of torque. (Not where I want it. A little higher.)

I'm guessing that the 700r4 has generations. I want one that requires no computer. I have a 1980 and do not want any computers on this car. Can someone tell me what generation I'm looking for?

Jim F.
Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
fishslayer143@yahoo.com
Super Moderator

long time no see Chief.. welcome back.. the 700r4 was from 82-93 I believe.. the first generation has a smaller input shaft,weak trans, stay away from it, try to get a late 80 s version .. none of the 700r4 s use computers, the 4L60 E is the computer control version of it ... you will need to beef it up to handle the added power, the stock model is only good for about 350ftlbs of torque or simply get one already built for performance applications.. Monster , TCI, PATC, even Jegs and Summit have them now..when you are ready to begin install, get with me or Toobroke, we can walk you thru the mods you will need to do ....believe me, YOU WILL LOVE THE 700r4..

Last edited by fishslayer143@yahoo.com; 10-17-2012 at 03:35 PM.
fishslayer143@yahoo.com is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
USNChief
Smokin 3000HP Drag Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishslayer143@yahoo.com View Post
long time no see Chief.. welcome back.. the 700r4 was from 82-93 I believe.. the first generation has a smaller input shaft,weak trans, stay away from it, try to get a late 80 s version .. none of the 700r4 s use computers, the 4L60 E is the computer control version of it ... you will need to beef it up to handle the added power, the stock model is only good for about 350ftlbs of torque or simply get one already built for performance applications.. Monster , TCI, PATC, even Jegs and Summit have them now..when you are ready to begin install, get with me or Toobroke, we can walk you thru the mods you will need to do ....believe me, YOU WILL LOVE THE 700r4..
Hey Fish! I burned up my TH350. I had planned on switching to the 700r4. Looks like it's a little sooner than later. A friend has convinced me that I can rebuild the 700r4 myself. So that is what I will attempt to do. Now the search.

Jim F.
USNChief is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
fishslayer143@yahoo.com
Super Moderator

I think we now have a half dozen members that have swapped to 700r4s...they are plentiful in salvage yards.. you need to improve the clutchpaks and use a Fairbanks Servo ,a good lock-up converter w/mild stall ... toobroke can give you more specifics on internals.. get a repair manual ,and you ll need a few tools .. there are some necessary modifications, to make the swap,.driveshaft, crossmember, shifter detent ,e-brake pulley ,carb bracket ,etc and proper adjustment of the Throttle Valve Cable ..I recomend an auxillary cooler too for reliability..... we can fill you in when you are ready..good luck

Last edited by fishslayer143@yahoo.com; 10-18-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
USNChief
Smokin 3000HP Drag Racer

I was just asked if I need a "long tail or short tail" tranney. Any ideas?

Jim F.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #6
fishslayer143@yahoo.com
Super Moderator

either can work, the short tail means less modifiction to crossmember but they are pretty hard to find ...make sure its not an early model with smaller input shaft
Old 10-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
USNChief
Smokin 3000HP Drag Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishslayer143@yahoo.com View Post
either can work, the short tail means less modifiction to crossmember but they are pretty hard to find ...make sure its not an early model with smaller input shaft
Thanks fish! Sounds good. I'll let you all know what I end up with.

Jim F.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:04 AM   #8
toobroketoretire
Smokin 5000HP+ Posting Maniac

Default TH700R4 Transmissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNChief View Post
Well, it's time for the switch from the TH350 to the 700r4.

I currently have 385 hp and 427 ft pounds of torque. (Not where I want it. A little higher.)

I'm guessing that the 700r4 has generations. I want one that requires no computer. I have a 1980 and do not want any computers on this car. Can someone tell me what generation I'm looking for?

The 1982 thru 1983 TH700R4's have a 27-spline input shaft whereas the 1984 and later have the slightly larger 30 spline input shaft. Either can be beefed up to handle your engine but the 1984 and up would be the better choice. In late 1986 an auxiliary valve body was added to smooth the shifting. The nice thing is the later parts can usually be used in the earlier cases with the exception of the 1982 cases.

They are very easy to overhaul with ordinary metric hand tools and the two spring compressors that you will need are easily fabricated. All you need is a Haynes G.M. transmission overhaul manual and about a day of your time.

If you decide to overhaul yours e-mail me at sw82vette@yahoo.com and I'll clue you in on the little details that the Haynes manual overlooked. I have overhauled all of my automatic transmissions since I was a kid and there's nothing to them.

Last edited by toobroketoretire; 10-23-2012 at 09:14 AM.
toobroketoretire is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #9
USNChief
Smokin 3000HP Drag Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobroketoretire View Post
The 1982 thru 1983 TH700R4's have a 27-spline input shaft whereas the 1984 and later have the slightly larger 30 spline input shaft. Either can be beefed up to handle your engine but the 1984 and up would be the better choice. In late 1986 an auxiliary valve body was added to smooth the shifting. The nice thing is the later parts can usually be used in the earlier cases with the exception of the 1982 cases.

They are very easy to overhaul with ordinary metric hand tools and the two spring compressors that you will need are easily fabricated. All you need is a Haynes G.M. transmission overhaul manual and about a day of your time.

If you decide to overhaul yours e-mail me at sw82vette@yahoo.com and I'll clue you in on the little details that the Haynes manual overlooked. I have overhauled all of my automatic transmissions since I was a kid and there's nothing to them.
Thanks toobroke. Honestly, I don't feel like building a transmission. But if you say I can do it a day, then I guess I'm game. My friend says it will save me about 1k if I do this myself. I am still on the look for the transmission. Once I am ready to start, I'll give you folks a hollar.

Jim F.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:09 AM   #10
toobroketoretire
Smokin 5000HP+ Posting Maniac

Default Overhauling A TH700R4

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNChief View Post
Thanks toobroke. Honestly, I don't feel like building a transmission. But if you say I can do it a day, then I guess I'm game. My friend says it will save me about 1k if I do this myself. I am still on the look for the transmission. Once I am ready to start, I'll give you folks a hollar.

Chief, you'll need two tools to compress spring packs and they're easily made using pieces of steel that you can buy from most every lumberyard. When you're ready contact me and I'll send you pictures of the tools I made and also include their dimensions. I also made a 12" X 12" plate for my floor jack to make the removal/installation easy. Then with the aid of a Haynes manual (about $25) you can easily rebuild any G.M. transmission.

Automatic transmissions may look real complicated but they're not when you follow the step-by-step procedures in the well-illustrated Haynes manual. The manual gives you an individual picture of every part being installed from start to finish so there's almost no chance for error. The Haynes manual is very thorough but there are a few things that I can tell you to do to ensure a quality overhaul.

To handle more than 300 ft/lbs of torque there are a few parts that need to be purchased such as 9 disc 3-4 clutch pack (about $45) and Fairbanks servos (about $180). Plus a wider carbon fiber band ($25) and a new band drum (about $50) along with a "Beast" sun shell (about $50). Figure about $750 to $800 worth of parts to get a transmission capable of handling 500 ft/lbs of torque. Most transmission supply houses stock the parts you'll need for considerably less than internet prices.

Last edited by toobroketoretire; 10-25-2012 at 04:18 AM.
toobroketoretire is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Share This Thread
  • Submit Thread to Digg
  • Submit Thread to del.icio.us
  • Submit Thread to Facebook
  • Submit Thread to StumbleUpon
  • Submit Thread to MySpace
  • Submit Thread to Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Google