Timing question - SmokinVette.com Forums
SmokinVette.com Home
  • Corvette Forum
  • Login to Corvette Forums
  • SmokinVette.com
  • About SmokinVette.com
  • Corvette Forum
  • Corvette Gallery
  • Corvette Parts
  • Corvette Yellow Pages
SmokinVette.com Forums : Corvette Forums : C3 Corvette Forums : C3 Tech & Performance : Timing question
C3 Tech & Performance

Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
Cruzin_Flick
Smokin Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pennsylvanina
Posts: 13
Default Timing question

SBC running a 4bolt main, Comp cam ( Xtreme energy XR276HR) World Heads Sportsman II 2.100/ 1.625 72cc 23degree angle,Sidemount Hookers, Edelbrock Aluminum intake Performer, Holley 650 cfm, Accel High Performance HEI Distributor.......question is, what is the best timing to run with this set up. I'm currently set at 8 degrees advanced. Seems to run ok but everyone says I should be running at 12 or more advanced. I have a new high torque starter to be installed as it is hard starting when I run it hard for a while. If I run it below 6 degrees the headers glow. Too hot and to late on the timing right?
Cruzin_Flick is offline  
Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
TimAT
Smokin 500HP Club
 
TimAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Gladstone (Kansas City) Missouri
Posts: 523
Default

Not only is the initial timing important, but the total advance is too. AND the rate of advance. IT's all adjustable with a combination of vacuum advance cans, springs and weights.
Lots of ways to get there. Easy way is to send an email to Lars at v8fastcars@msn.com and politely request a copy of his timing paper. Follow his instructions and you get 2 things- 1, an understanding of how it works, and 2, the timing on your car set correctly.
TimAT is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
buster
Smokin 750HP Supercharged Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: California
Posts: 851
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAT View Post
Not only is the initial timing important, but the total advance is too. AND the rate of advance. IT's all adjustable with a combination of vacuum advance cans, springs and weights.
Lots of ways to get there. Easy way is to send an email to Lars at v8fastcars@msn.com and politely request a copy of his timing paper. Follow his instructions and you get 2 things- 1, an understanding of how it works, and 2, the timing on your car set correctly.
Agreed, good advice.
buster is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
Cruzin_Flick
Smokin Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pennsylvanina
Posts: 13
Default

Thank you, the email is on its way.
Cruzin_Flick is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
fishslayer143@yahoo.com
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New Iberia LA
Posts: 8,112
Default

the purpose of advance is to light the fuel/air earlier in the cycle as the rpm goes up....it takes the same amout of time to light at 5,000 rpm as it does at 1000 rpm, so you must light it off earlier to achieve proper burn. a performance chev small block usually needs 10-14 * initial adv , plus 20-22 centrifugal adv in by 2500-3000rpm , for total 34-38* .. and if you use a vacuum advance, you can add 10-12* for it at part throttle, which will give you 44* or more at light throttle, cruising speed .. ...this is based on premium fuel useage......this will vary slightly by cam /head design on any given engine .. if your pipies are glowing, you have late ignition timing or you have an exhaust restriction... I run my 383 stroker with 14* initial, 22* mechanical and 10* vac adv.. we tried various combo on the dyno, this is where it was "HAPPY"...

Last edited by fishslayer143@yahoo.com; 10-14-2012 at 05:42 PM.
fishslayer143@yahoo.com is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
TimAT
Smokin 500HP Club
 
TimAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Gladstone (Kansas City) Missouri
Posts: 523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishslayer143@yahoo.com View Post
the purpose of advance is to light the fuel/air earlier in the cycle as the rpm goes up....it takes the same amout of time to light at 5,000 rpm as it does at 1000 rpm, so you must light it off earlier to achieve proper burn. a performance chev small block usually needs 10-14 * initial adv , plus 20-22 centrifugal adv in by 2500-3000rpm , for total 34-38* .. and if you use a vacuum advance, you can add 10-12* for it at part throttle, which will give you 44* or more at light throttle, cruising speed .. ...this is based on premium fuel useage......this will vary slightly by cam /head design on any given engine .. if your pipies are glowing, you have late ignition timing or you have an exhaust restriction... I run my 383 stroker with 14* initial, 22* mechanical and 10* vac adv.. we tried various combo on the dyno, this is where it was "HAPPY"...
THose same numbers apply to the big blocks too. I'm running a total of 36*.
TimAT is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #7
fishslayer143@yahoo.com
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New Iberia LA
Posts: 8,112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAT View Post
THose same numbers apply to the big blocks too. I'm running a total of 36*.
great minds think alike, eh?
fishslayer143@yahoo.com is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #8
TimAT
Smokin 500HP Club
 
TimAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Gladstone (Kansas City) Missouri
Posts: 523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishslayer143@yahoo.com View Post
great minds think alike, eh?
I don't know if it's the great minds or just the stuff that we have discovered (by trial and error) that works..

My normal trial and error:
TimAT is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #9
fishslayer143@yahoo.com
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New Iberia LA
Posts: 8,112
Default

LOL!!! lots and lots of ERROR!! I think I ve invented a few new words on occasion, when things go haywire..
fishslayer143@yahoo.com is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #10
Cruzin_Flick
Smokin Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pennsylvanina
Posts: 13
Default

Thank you all very much for the info. Received an email from Lars........Wow! He really knows the issue of timing!! Very impressive!!
Cruzin_Flick is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Share This Thread
  • Submit Thread to Digg
  • Submit Thread to del.icio.us
  • Submit Thread to Facebook
  • Submit Thread to StumbleUpon
  • Submit Thread to MySpace
  • Submit Thread to Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Google
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:38 AM. Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2006-2009 © SmokinVette.Com