• Corvette Forum
  • Login to Corvette Forums
  • SmokinVette.com
  • About SmokinVette.com
  • Corvette Forum
  • Corvette Gallery
  • Corvette Parts
  • Corvette Yellow Pages
SmokinVette.com Forums : Corvette Forums : C3 Corvette Forums : C3 Corvette General Discussion : Too cover or not too cover...
C3 Corvette General Discussion
1968 - 1982 Corvettes Sponsored by
XS Power

Old 10-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
Lethal Tendencies
Agent

Default Too cover or not too cover...

That is the question. In about a month I will be storing my vette for the winter in my garage. It's a vert. So I plan on putting up the top and the windows. Should I also cover it? This my first year at this house so I don't know for sure if mice can get into my garage or not. Thanks

'77 coupe(sold) '86 coupe(sold)'98 vert (sold) '00 coupe( sold ) '85 coupe( sold ) '75 Vert ( Last one ? )

http://lethalvette.blogspot.com/
Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
aquarian
Smokin 50HP Club

instead of covering it up and leaving it in a cold garage for 5 mouths, maybe your Vette should vacation in Florida for the winter, I'm sure a few of us in the Sunshine satate would be more then happy to take it on a sight seeing tour of the state...
aquarian is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #3
Pappytinker
Smokin 2500HP Pro Road Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal Tendencies View Post
That is the question. In about a month I will be storing my vette for the winter in my garage. It's a vert. So I plan on putting up the top and the windows. Should I also cover it? This my first year at this house so I don't know for sure if mice can get into my garage or not. Thanks
The cover covers the top side. If you have mice, I would be concerned with them getting into the underside of the car and gnawing on the wiring or other stuff. If the garage is heated, my worry would be spider poop. If the garage is not heated, spider poop should not be a problem. That said, I keep mine covered all the time with the "Battery MINDer" connected between times on the road.
"Because of the one-pointed time awareness in which the conventional mind remains immersed, humans tend to think of everything in a sequential, word-oriented framework. This mental trap produces very short-term concepts of effectiveness and consequences, a condition of constant, unplanned response to crises." Liet-Kynes - Dune
Pappytinker is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
toobroketoretire
Smokin 5000HP+ Posting Maniac

It's virtually impossible to stop mice from entering as they can squeeze themselves thru a 1/2" diameter hole. I live in a 1960's mobile home and they literally chew their way in thru the walls and floor. So rather than trying to stop them from getting in I set traps and usually get at least one most every night. I have a pet 5-foot long female gopher snake and keep her well fed all year. I keep a one-gallon freezer bag full of dead mice in my freezer and only 30 seconds in my microwave is all that is needed...................................
toobroketoretire is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
Pappytinker
Smokin 2500HP Pro Road Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobroketoretire View Post
It's virtually impossible to stop mice from entering as they can squeeze themselves thru a 1/2" diameter hole. I live in a 1960's mobile home and they literally chew their way in thru the walls and floor. So rather than trying to stop them from getting in I set traps and usually get at least one most every night. I have a pet 5-foot long female gopher snake and keep her well fed all year. I keep a one-gallon freezer bag full of dead mice in my freezer and only 30 seconds in my microwave is all that is needed...................................
Good way of keeping the mice population down and out of your vehicles. At the risk of being accused of hijacking the thread, do you have to force feed or does she take the warmed mice as she would a live specimen (strike, wrap and engulf)?
"Because of the one-pointed time awareness in which the conventional mind remains immersed, humans tend to think of everything in a sequential, word-oriented framework. This mental trap produces very short-term concepts of effectiveness and consequences, a condition of constant, unplanned response to crises." Liet-Kynes - Dune
Pappytinker is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
lostvette
Smokin 750HP Supercharged Club

Default Cover ?

LMAO !
Old 10-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
Slicktop
Smokin 1000HP Twin Turbo Club

Quote:
Cover it to keep it dust free and feed the rats and mice DECON, rat and mice poison, they love it.....
Slicktop is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
pork chop
Smokin Member

Yoou might want to keep a fan running on LOW to keep the air moveing so moistur don't form.
pork chop is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #9
fishslayer143@yahoo.com
Super Moderator

I do not store my cars, theres no need, I can drive year round.. I do however cover mine if they won t be driven for a week .. it keeps them clean and keeps dirt from embedding in the convertible top on my C5..FYI,the less you need to scrub on canvas, the better... I m told that some moth balls in or under your car while stored will discourage rodents.. I cannot personally verify but it does keep squirrels out of my attic.
fishslayer143@yahoo.com is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:47 AM   #10
buster
Smokin 750HP Supercharged Club

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobroketoretire View Post
I recommend a "ratzapper" (or two) and rat tails so you can easily see if they have been tripped. I live in the country and these devices have greatly assisted me in my constant battle against mice and rats! Sunflower seeds are cheap in bulk and make great bait. After the trap works, you just dump out the dead rodent, replace bait and, good to go.
Toobroke, these devices will keep your snake food intact and eliminate handling bloody traps. It is basicly an electrocution chamber for them. I have even caught squirrels who ventured too close to the house for food.
buster is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Share This Thread
  • Submit Thread to Digg
  • Submit Thread to del.icio.us
  • Submit Thread to Facebook
  • Submit Thread to StumbleUpon
  • Submit Thread to MySpace
  • Submit Thread to Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Google