• Corvette Forum
  • Login to Corvette Forums
  • SmokinVette.com
  • About SmokinVette.com
  • Corvette Forum
  • Corvette Gallery
  • Corvette Parts
  • Corvette Yellow Pages
SmokinVette.com Forums : Corvette Forums : C3 Corvette Forums : C3 Tech & Performance : Doing Your Own Repairs
C3 Tech & Performance

Old 05-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #1
toobroketoretire
Smokin 5000HP+ Posting Maniac

Default Doing Your Own Repairs

Fishslayer and I are able to do all of our own repairs as we have fully equipped shops and many years of experience. But how many others of you can do all of your own repairs?

With the staggering fees most shops charge for labor it would be in your best interest to do as much of your simple repairs yourself like changing your own oil and changing your own brake pads. With about $500 to $750 worth of tools you can accomplish most anything short of pulling and rebuilding engines and transmissions.

For starters everyone needs an air compressor, an impact wrench, a complete set of sockets and end wrenches up to at least 15/16", a floor jack, and safety stands. And a corded 1/2" drill and a set of bits up to 1/2".

With these fairly inexpensive tools you can make most repairs at only a fraction of the cost of having a shop do it. Plus you will get the satisfaction of doing them yourself.
Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
fishslayer143@yahoo.com

very true.. and you ll be saving a ton of money,especially the "Corvette Tax" shops like to charge [ maybe the wife won t mind so much, when you fix it ] these cars need a lot of TLC, learn to do it yourself.. and everyone here is willing to help you.

Last edited by fishslayer143@yahoo.com; 05-10-2012 at 02:05 PM.
fishslayer143@yahoo.com is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #3
david78
Smokin 500HP Club

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobroketoretire View Post
But how many others of you can do all of your own repairs?

With these fairly inexpensive tools you can make most repairs at only a fraction of the cost of having a shop do it. Plus you will get the satisfaction of doing them yourself.
True!!!!
I got the corvette Tax a few times and then started to do it myself
And after, I would get a quote for the vette and would tell them "its an old chevy" to notice the price drop
david78 is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
TimAT
Smokin 500HP Club

I do all my own work too. And I'll help anyone any way I can. After all the time I played in the dealer service dept., and seeing some of the guys in there now, taking my 01 pickup in there makes me pucker. IT's got to be one of those "I'm out of town and the wife needs it right now" things before I let it go to the dealer. And taking the Vette in there would scare me to death.
TimAT is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
fishslayer143@yahoo.com

yeah, I can see it now,Tim, after the Dealer repair, the kid in the detail dept. bringing your car around back for a wash... tires burning all the way, taking out two dumpsters and a tow truck on the way!!! LOL!
fishslayer143@yahoo.com is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
TimAT
Smokin 500HP Club

It would be like me trying to live in St. Louis. I strongly suspect that after 6 months they'd have to change my address to:
c/o Missouri Department of Corrections
Jefferson City, Mo

Someone would be badly injured.
TimAT is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:05 AM   #7
toobroketoretire

Default Good Mechanics

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAT View Post
I do all my own work too. And I'll help anyone any way I can. After all the time I played in the dealer service dept., and seeing some of the guys in there now, taking my 01 pickup in there makes me pucker. IT's got to be one of those "I'm out of town and the wife needs it right now" things before I let it go to the dealer. And taking the Vette in there would scare me to death.

I have found about 95% of the mechanics I've ever known of weren't worth their weight in salt.

When I was running a shop with 19 mechanics I found only 2 had any real ability and then not nearly as much as I had.

I would estimate only 1 in every 100 is pretty sharp and only 1 in 1000 is a true professional.
toobroketoretire is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:52 AM   #8
vettex2
Smokin 4000HP World Challenge

I do all of mine
NASCAR Whelen All American Weekly Series California State Championship Crew Member (Pavement)
vettex2 is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #9
buster
Smokin 750HP Supercharged Club

I do about 95% of mine. I lack some of the speciality tools (esp dial guages and attachments) and the extent of knowledge that some of you guys have. Sometimes I can' t even understand what the book says to do! That said, there is certainly an additinonal pride of ownership that comes with being able to say "Yeah, I did that myself".
buster is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #10
toobroketoretire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster View Post
I do about 95% of mine. I lack some of the speciality tools (esp dial guages and attachments) and the extent of knowledge that some of you guys have. Sometimes I can' t even understand what the book says to do! That said, there is certainly an additinonal pride of ownership that comes with being able to say "Yeah, I did that myself".

As I have always done 100% of my work I often can't understand why the rest of you can't do the same. It doesn't take any "high-tech" equipment to repair most things; just basic tools, a floor jack, safety stands, and an air compressor.
toobroketoretire is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Share This Thread
  • Submit Thread to Digg
  • Submit Thread to del.icio.us
  • Submit Thread to Facebook
  • Submit Thread to StumbleUpon
  • Submit Thread to MySpace
  • Submit Thread to Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Google