• Corvette Forum
  • Login to Corvette Forums
  • SmokinVette.com
  • About SmokinVette.com
  • Corvette Forum
  • Corvette Gallery
  • Corvette Parts
  • Corvette Yellow Pages
SmokinVette.com Forums : Corvette Forums : Performance & Racing : Suspension, Tires and Wheels : The FACTS about C6 tires
Suspension, Tires and Wheels
Specific discussions on Suspension | Tires | Wheels

Sponsored by Discount Tire

Old 05-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
VettDream
Smokin Member

Default The FACTS about C6 tires

I have attempted to find out facts about problems, if any, with the standard Good Year factory installed run-flat tires. I have read a lot of good information of the run-flat tires, and I have read a lot of subjective responses from persons expressing their 'feelings' about the tires. Some people expressed that the run-flats feel like driving a tank. Huh, comparing a Corvette with a tank?

The facts I have read that the unsprung weight is up by 17%, but nobody was able to presents objective results how this additional %17 unsprung weight negatively impacts the car's performance.

Some persons expressed not so good run-flat tire performance in the rain. This is again subjective evaluation, but is there some fact based data, that clearly shows how various tires perform under identical testing conditions?

Also, while the run-flats might be a touch heavier, one clear advantage is that you save weight by not having to carry around a spare tire with all the required parafenilia required for the tire change ceremony.

So can somebody point to some facts instead of some subjective hand waving?

Also while evaluating facts, the magnitude of differentiation should be considered. As an example if tire 'A' you can do 0.965 G's on the skid pad and with tire 'B' under identical circumstances the obtained metrics are 0.97, does this slight difference really matter?

Ok, let's the discussions begin. This forum is pretty stale so we need some excitement going.

Last edited by VettDream; 05-22-2012 at 04:12 AM.
Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:11 AM   #2
Pappytinker
Smokin 2500HP Pro Road Racer

Since the vehicles that use high performance run-flat tires in the sizes we use on our Corvettes are a small percentage of the overall vehicle universe, I doubt that too much emphasis is put on their testing by major testing organizations. If, however, you happen to find one, please let us know.

My subjective review for the standard EMT on my 2006 C6 is that, at 29,000 miles, they are OK for my driving style. I do not expect a Cadillac ride out of a Corvette and if I wanted a Cadillac ride I would have purchased one.
"Because of the one-pointed time awareness in which the conventional mind remains immersed, humans tend to think of everything in a sequential, word-oriented framework. This mental trap produces very short-term concepts of effectiveness and consequences, a condition of constant, unplanned response to crises." Liet-Kynes - Dune
Pappytinker is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #3
fishslayer143@yahoo.com
Smokin 5000HP+ Posting Maniac

while I can t give you technical data to support this... RUN FLATS SUCK!!!!!!! get rid of them, and you will never even consider them again....the difference in all aspects are tremendous.. as to having to carry a spare tire and equip...not necessary ,do what we all do, get a small 12v compressor and a tire repair kit.or just get AAA road service
fishslayer143@yahoo.com is online now   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Share This Thread
  • Submit Thread to Digg
  • Submit Thread to del.icio.us
  • Submit Thread to Facebook
  • Submit Thread to StumbleUpon
  • Submit Thread to MySpace
  • Submit Thread to Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Google