• Corvette Forum
  • Login to Corvette Forums
  • SmokinVette.com
  • About SmokinVette.com
  • Corvette Forum
  • Corvette Gallery
  • Corvette Parts
  • Corvette Yellow Pages
SmokinVette.com Forums : SmokinVette.com Corvette Forums : ***SMOKIN LOUNGE*** : Current Affairs in the World of News Forum : GM says, "thanks for the bailout suckers"
Current Affairs in the World of News Forum
Anything in news related

Old 06-23-2011, 09:50 AM   #21
gwb16
Smokin 750HP Supercharged Club

Still Kickin,
We had a pretty sharp downturn in Navy work and in the interest of KEEPING a SKILLED workforce in place, the "TEAM" decided to give a go at the commercial world. We hadn't built or designed a commercial vessel in many years. It was like starting all over again. The figures that we were given were based on all costs, overhead, hourly rates, taxes, the whole deal. When you talk about hourly rates, two of those countries can pretty much be classified as 3rd world countries. Their cost of living is peanuts compared to us.

I took the Apprentice School route, was a Pipefitter and PROUD Union member for 9 years, went to school PT and eventually transferred into Design Engineering. I worked A4W Nuclear Testing for 5 years before heading into Design. I currently work at a Nuclear Power Plant today, as Mechanical and Civil Designer. Been here going on 11 years now. The Shipyard was a good place to work. The pay rate lacks today. Years ago it was hands down tops in the area. That was part of the reason I applied for my current job, looking to get that leg up. It's worked out quite well for me. I got a little lucky with the timing. You know how that goes. Work at the Yard was challenging. Something new just about everyday. I hated to quit, I truly enjoyed the work and the people but I was trying to raise two kids and keep my bride happy! LOL!

Sadly, we only built one Tanker, The American Progress. She was a good ship. MASSIVE Diesel Engine, thing had about an 8 foot stroke.

Interesting thing about the Danish Shipyard, they owned their own valve and fittings manufacturing companies, so their material costs were much lower. It was a good project to work on. They KILLED us with OT though. 7 days a week for months on end, 12 hour + days.

Mobil swooped in to buy the ship after the Greek company (Elletson - I think) bailed on us, we were behind schedule and they weren't willing to wait for delivery. Originally we were to build 4 or 5 of the Tankers. But the first, sadly was our last.

Here she is --> http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/...php?lid=276470
"Cultural delusion has ever been an inevitable aspect of human environments, neatly packaged and emotionally colored for mass appeal. Delusion is exhibited and proffered by our mightiest institutions, religious and governmental. All of our mainstream institutions support a popular collection of misinformation and myth, which varies and shifts with current environments and pressures, but moves no closer to reality." ~ Everett E. Allie

Last edited by gwb16; 06-23-2011 at 09:55 AM.
gwb16 is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #22
Still Kickin
Smokin 500HP Club

It's good talking to a person from Virginia. The American Progress is a good looking tanker, but your Aircraft Carriers and Submarines are much more impressive. Lots of good experience working there at NNS. Sometimes I wish I had taken that job back in '72.

We have a mountain here in Nevada called Yucca, ever heard of it? It's not a really big mountain, but it's got a deep cavern in it and it sets way out in the desert all by itself. We've spent millions of dollars getting it ready, testing for underground water leakage, looking for fault lines and it seems to be water tight and stable. We're waiting to fill it up. Send us your Nuclear waste, we need the jobs.

Oh Yea.... I do the Corvette Wave.. Been doing it since I bought my '68 Vette

GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
John Lennon

Still

Last edited by Still Kickin; 06-23-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Still Kickin is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:06 PM   #23
powerlabs
Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
It's good talking to a person from Virginia. The American Progress is a good looking tanker, but your Aircraft Carriers and Submarines are much more impressive. Lots of good experience working there at NNS. Sometimes I wish I had taken that job back in '72.

We have a mountain here in Nevada called Yacca, ever heard of it? It's not a really big mountain, but it's got a deep cavern in it and it sets way out in the desert all by itself. We've spent millions of dollars getting it ready, testing for underground water leakage, looking for fault lines and it seems to be water tight and stable. We're waiting to fill it up. Send us your Nuclear waste, we need the jobs.

Isn't it "Yucca Mountain"? We talked about that back on my first job when I worked at Vermont Yankee Nuclear Power Station. IMHO disposing of Nuclear waste is a huge waste; spent nuclear fuel is still a good 98 - 96% energy or so; just have to recycle it...
powerlabs is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:31 PM   #24
gwb16

Quote:

We have a mountain here in Nevada called Yacca, ever heard of it? It's not a really big mountain, but it's got a deep cavern in it and it sets way out in the desert all by itself. We've spent millions of dollars getting it ready, testing for underground water leakage, looking for fault lines and it seems to be water tight and stable. We're waiting to fill it up. Send us your Nuclear waste, we need the jobs.

Too many people dead set against it and Obama already shelved it. So we continue to store it.

Shipyard gave me the chance to develop a very good knowledge base. Learned a lot of valuable lessons in my time there and thankful for all of it.

Subs were fun to work on but Carriers are an amazingly unreal piece of artwork. I went on three Sea Trial trips while I was there. Lincoln, Washington and the Stennis. It was fun, for a week, put me on there for 6 months, I may not feel the same way - LOL!
"Cultural delusion has ever been an inevitable aspect of human environments, neatly packaged and emotionally colored for mass appeal. Delusion is exhibited and proffered by our mightiest institutions, religious and governmental. All of our mainstream institutions support a popular collection of misinformation and myth, which varies and shifts with current environments and pressures, but moves no closer to reality." ~ Everett E. Allie
Old 06-23-2011, 04:41 PM   #25
Vettemagnet

Quote:

It's a better solution than storing a bunch of nuclear waste from DOE in the Salado salt formation in New Mexico (also known as WIPP). I don't think commercial waste is stored there yet.

Salt and steel drums are probably not the best combination. Most of the really hot stuff is probably encapsulated in concrete in a lined drum.

I spent a few years wearing dosimeter and had times in an RBA. No thanks!!!!
Vettemagnet is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #26
Still Kickin
Smokin 500HP Club

LOL... Fixed it, thanks powerlabs I did spell it wrong, I should wear my glasses more often.

I agree powerlabs, there is still at least 95% energy left. Why has no one come up with a plan to recycle it... and use it for something?? I don't understand this, it's energy and it's just setting there. It could be used for what another 7,000 to 2,000,000 years, depending if it's uranium-234 (half-life 245,500 years), neptunium-237 (half-life two million years), plutonium-238 (half-life 87.7 years) and americium-241 (half-life 7,370 years). Did I get these numbers right gwb16?

Yucca Mountain isn't dead yet, every so often we hear about it here. They are still maintaining and working on it out there. It's about 50 - 50 here. Some locals agree with it and guys working at the test site say there's no problem with storing it here, transporting it is safe and it would bring in more jobs. The other 50% of the people are worried about earthquakes, underground water leakage, but most are worried about the transportation of the waste, and going through some populated areas.
Harry Reid will have to retire before it's shipped here.

What's RBA Vettemagnet?

Oh Yea.... I do the Corvette Wave.. Been doing it since I bought my '68 Vette

GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
John Lennon

Still

Last edited by Still Kickin; 06-23-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Still Kickin is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:41 PM   #27
c6vette
Smokin 1000HP Twin Turbo Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishslayer143@yahoo.com View Post
..our US Treasury Secretary, no college degree at all,
Given the state of our economy, maybe we should start requiring the US Treasury Secretary to have a degree.
2006 Blk C6 vert w/A&A Supercharger kit w/V-3 T Trim, RTech LT's w/hi-flo cats, Corsa Extreme exhaust, built .408, cam, ported LS2 heads, twin intank pumps, & DYAD CF Clutch. New dyno #'s 726rwhp/689tq
c6vette is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:01 AM   #28
fishslayer143@yahoo.com
Smokin 5000HP+ Posting Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by c6vette View Post
Given the state of our economy, maybe we should start requiring the US Treasury Secretary to have a degree.
I would be happy if they just had a clue what they were doing! LOL! It seems to me that everyone in Washington is only concerned with reelection and pandering and not our country.
fishslayer143@yahoo.com is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:59 AM   #29
gwb16

Quote:
It could be used for what another 7,000 to 2,000,000 years, depending if it's uranium-234 (half-life 245,500 years), neptunium-237 (half-life two million years), plutonium-238 (half-life 87.7 years) and americium-241 (half-life 7,370 years). Did I get these numbers right gwb16?
The hell if I know! I don't deal with the nuclear physics of the reaction. I provide support to keep the mechanical parts and pieces in good shape! LOL! We have Nuclear Physicists to crunch those numbers! They're much smarter than me! LOL!

What confuses me is the 50/50 split for and against. I had read that there were some states that said that there was no way they would issue the permits to ship the nuclear waste through their states - by rail or truck. Those decisions will be made by more important than me.

We've been having some local discussions about offshore wind turbines, off of the Eastern Shore of VA, that's even getting blown up by the Sierra club et al.....afraid that migratory birds would be killed. These same people will scream and yell when their power bill increases 5% or if they have rolling blackouts.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:59 AM   #30
Vettemagnet

Quote:
What's RBA Vettemagnet?

A radiological buffer area.

A boundary for minimizing exposures to radiation or contamination.
Vettemagnet is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Share This Thread
  • Submit Thread to Digg
  • Submit Thread to del.icio.us
  • Submit Thread to Facebook
  • Submit Thread to StumbleUpon
  • Submit Thread to MySpace
  • Submit Thread to Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Google