• Corvette Forum
  • Login to Corvette Forums
  • SmokinVette.com
  • About SmokinVette.com
  • Corvette Forum
  • Corvette Gallery
  • Corvette Parts
  • Corvette Yellow Pages
SmokinVette.com Forums : SmokinVette.com Corvette Forums : ***SMOKIN LOUNGE*** : Current Affairs in the World of News Forum : GM says, "thanks for the bailout suckers"
Current Affairs in the World of News Forum
Anything in news related

Old 06-20-2011, 04:00 PM   #1
slrvette
Agent

Default GM says, "thanks for the bailout suckers"

GM to invest $540 million in Mexico to build motors!... WTF!
http://redwhitebluenews.com/?p=14524

Yeah its a 84 thats HSR EQUIPPED BABY! AND RED APPROVED
388 Roller, custom grind cam, HSR, True dual exhaust,Borla and much more

In Loving memory of my first son Brandon Harley. 5/18/09- If only I could have seen him open his eyes.
May he rest in peace, in our hearts and never forgotten

Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
bc.boy
Smokin 200HP Club

maybe honest jobs so they don't move to Arizona anymore . Well, at least they all won't be smuggling dope. To bad for the workers in our countries though.
bc.boy is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:01 PM   #3
c6vette
Smokin 1000HP Twin Turbo Club

Why is this surprising??....nothing new, regardless of the source of money.... it's called capitalism.
2006 Blk C6 vert w/A&A Supercharger kit w/V-3 T Trim, RTech LT's w/hi-flo cats, Corsa Extreme exhaust, built .408, cam, ported LS2 heads, twin intank pumps, & DYAD CF Clutch. New dyno #'s 726rwhp/689tq
c6vette is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:26 AM   #4
Pappytinker
Smokin 2500HP Pro Road Racer

Garbage like this, e. g., screwing the taxpayers, has been going on since the beginning of the 20th century and continues today. If you want to read something REAL scary, acquire "The Creature from Jekyll Island - A Second Look at the Federal Reserve" by G. Edward Griffin and read it.
"Because of the one-pointed time awareness in which the conventional mind remains immersed, humans tend to think of everything in a sequential, word-oriented framework. This mental trap produces very short-term concepts of effectiveness and consequences, a condition of constant, unplanned response to crises." Liet-Kynes - Dune
Pappytinker is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:23 AM   #5
c6vette
Smokin 1000HP Twin Turbo Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappytinker View Post
Garbage like this, e. g., screwing the taxpayers, has been going on since the beginning of the 20th century and continues today. If you want to read something REAL scary, acquire "The Creature from Jekyll Island - A Second Look at the Federal Reserve" by G. Edward Griffin and read it.
I certainly agree about the Fed, but it amuses me that folks continue to send morally bankrupt individuals to Washington over and over and over and...well, you get the picture.. and expect different results. We've all heard what the definition of insanity is.

Fact is, the American public at large is just plain lazy and good at complaining and showing their less-savory and ignorant side. Not only that, but they've allowed boob-tube talking heads to speak for them and give them their ideas. The talking heads tell them what to say and what to think. A loss of critical thinking rarely exists anymore, which is causing the demise of this country. Instead of sacrificing and doing what it takes to get things right, citizens cowardly blame other people, groups, sects and sub-sects for their own lack of action.
2006 Blk C6 vert w/A&A Supercharger kit w/V-3 T Trim, RTech LT's w/hi-flo cats, Corsa Extreme exhaust, built .408, cam, ported LS2 heads, twin intank pumps, & DYAD CF Clutch. New dyno #'s 726rwhp/689tq

Last edited by c6vette; 06-21-2011 at 07:00 AM.
c6vette is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
powerlabs
Agent

Everybody wants a cheap car, but auto workers in the US want to make a big salary for pounding a car frame together with a high school education... It is difficult to compromise between the two... I don't approve of it, but GM did it because it is cheaper to make engines in Mexico than here.
powerlabs is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:57 PM   #7
Still Kickin
Smokin 500HP Club

The Mexicans got better High Schools than us??
I don't think so, don't blame it on UAW.

It's easier to pollute Mexican land, water and air. No EPA down there.

Oh Yea.... I do the Corvette Wave.. Been doing it since I bought my '68 Vette

GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
John Lennon

Still
Still Kickin is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #8
powerlabs
Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
The Mexicans got better High Schools than us??
I don't think so, don't blame it on UAW.

It's easier to pollute Mexican land, water and air. No EPA down there.
That is not what I implied. My point was that most of the work involved in putting a car, or an engine together, is unskilled labor; work performed by people who did not go to school and have no specialization (beyond their on-job training). Most everywhere in the world, this type of labor is extremely cheap. In the USA it is not. This puts any manufacturer in this country at a distinct disadvantage if his products are being assembled by workers making, say, $20 an hour Vs. another manufacturer of a similar, competing product, assembling his product in, say, Mexico for $6/hr.
That's just the way it is... Hey everybody wants to make a lot of money for nothing, but everybody else also wants cheap products (look at the success of Wallmart and all the cheap chinese crap they sell). In the end the forces of capitalism dictate that companies that outsource overseas end up being much more competitive by virtue of their products having a lower production cost. I don't like it, I don't stand for it, but I am also not stupid; I follow the stock market and the evidence is quite clear: outsourcing saves money and boosts profits; if I was running a large corporation, it would be difficult to make a good financial argument for doing production here.
And yes, your EPA comment is spot on. No OSHA there either, and depending on where you outsource to you can have workers doing 60 hour weeks with no extra pay, no benefits, no health insurance, no 401K, etc etc...

Last edited by powerlabs; 06-22-2011 at 10:48 AM.
powerlabs is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #9
gwb16
Smokin 750HP Supercharged Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by c6vette View Post
I certainly agree about the Fed, but it amuses me that folks continue to send morally bankrupt individuals to Washington over and over and over and...well, you get the picture.. and expect different results. We've all heard what the definition of insanity is.

Fact is, the American public at large is just plain lazy and good at complaining and showing their less-savory and ignorant side. Not only that, but they've allowed boob-tube talking heads to speak for them and give them their ideas. The talking heads tell them what to say and what to think. A loss of critical thinking rarely exists anymore, which is causing the demise of this country. Instead of sacrificing and doing what it takes to get things right, citizens cowardly blame other people, groups, sects and sub-sects for their own lack of action.
I've been saying basically the same thing for years. It's so much easier to be influenced than it is to be educated. People don't seem to be too interested in becoming educated about a topic when they have "an expert" telling the nightly news "that's how it is". It's just lazy. And then there's demographics playing into it also. People really are a product of their environment. We have become a society of enablers that are constantly looking for the next entitlement.
"Cultural delusion has ever been an inevitable aspect of human environments, neatly packaged and emotionally colored for mass appeal. Delusion is exhibited and proffered by our mightiest institutions, religious and governmental. All of our mainstream institutions support a popular collection of misinformation and myth, which varies and shifts with current environments and pressures, but moves no closer to reality." ~ Everett E. Allie
gwb16 is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #10
gwb16
Smokin 750HP Supercharged Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
don't blame it on UAW.
You are correct, collectively, the UAW and the Big Three created the mess they're in. Greed on both sides of the table. 50-50 split. One's no more guilty than the other.
"Cultural delusion has ever been an inevitable aspect of human environments, neatly packaged and emotionally colored for mass appeal. Delusion is exhibited and proffered by our mightiest institutions, religious and governmental. All of our mainstream institutions support a popular collection of misinformation and myth, which varies and shifts with current environments and pressures, but moves no closer to reality." ~ Everett E. Allie
gwb16 is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Share This Thread
  • Submit Thread to Digg
  • Submit Thread to del.icio.us
  • Submit Thread to Facebook
  • Submit Thread to StumbleUpon
  • Submit Thread to MySpace
  • Submit Thread to Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Google