• Corvette Forum
  • Login to Corvette Forums
  • SmokinVette.com
  • About SmokinVette.com
  • Corvette Forum
  • Corvette Gallery
  • Corvette Parts
  • Corvette Yellow Pages
SmokinVette.com Forums : Corvette Forums : C3 Corvette Forums : C3 Corvette General Discussion : 1982 corvette cross fire
C3 Corvette General Discussion
1968 - 1982 Corvettes Sponsored by
XS Power

Old 04-10-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
pumper15
Smokin 50HP Club

Default 1982 corvette cross fire

i have a 1982 crossfire that is all stock bought the car about a year ago, the car is a work in progress and runs pretty good for being as old as it is. the car has 62k miles i am working on getting it to run good and then i will turn my attention to the cosmetics i rebuilt the tranny replaced the plugs, wires, points and distributer, have put about 1500 miles on it since i bought it only premium fuel two oil changes and for the most part the car runs fair to good once warmed up however, the car is hard to start when it is cold it seems to not be going to a choke start up for the cold start, a couple of times on the cold weather start up the car starts up like a champ with a smooth high idle warm up but that has only happened a couple of times. i am ready to try to isolate my cold weather start up issues but i dont know were to start any suggestions corvette friends i need some help
Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:24 AM   #2
toobroketoretire
Smokin 5000HP+ Posting Maniac

Default Something Doesn't Make Sense Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper15 View Post
i have a 1982 crossfire that is all stock bought the car about a year ago, the car is a work in progress and runs pretty good for being as old as it is. the car has 62k miles i am working on getting it to run good and then i will turn my attention to the cosmetics i rebuilt the tranny replaced the plugs, wires, points and distributer, have put about 1500 miles on it since i bought it only premium fuel two oil changes and for the most part the car runs fair to good once warmed up however, the car is hard to start when it is cold it seems to not be going to a choke start up for the cold start, a couple of times on the cold weather start up the car starts up like a champ with a smooth high idle warm up but that has only happened a couple of times. i am ready to try to isolate my cold weather start up issues but i dont know were to start any suggestions corvette friends i need some help

Huh? Your car only has 62,000 miles on it and you had to rebuild it's 4-speed TH700R4 automatic transmission? And '82's don't have points in their distributors because their distributors are computer controlled. Also the Crossfire Injection doesn't have a choke. The air fuel mixture is enriched by the computer that uses the sensor at the front of the intake manifold to detect coolant temperature. To start it just turn the key and crank it because all fuel injected cars are supposed to be started with a closed throttle. And '82's are designed to run on 87 octane gas. And '82's will go 7000 miles between oil changes so why on earth have you changed your oil twice in just 1500 miles? Are you really sure you have an '82?

Last edited by toobroketoretire; 04-11-2011 at 07:49 AM.
toobroketoretire is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
pumper15
Smokin 50HP Club

Default 1982

yes i am sure it is a 1982, the car sat for a time and the oil was black when i got it the reason for the two oil changes in the short period of time was to help the car clean out, sticky valves etc, probably not necessary, the car is not burning any oil but the car sure did run a lot smoother after the fresh change the second was just to let any crud in the engine help to clean out, what i ment was a new distributor cap only, and positive that it is a 1982 your information is helpful and i will see about that sensor you mentioned

Last edited by pumper15; 04-11-2011 at 12:38 PM.
pumper15 is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
pumper15
Smokin 50HP Club

Default 700r4

and also yea the tranny was shot amco showed me the insides of it worn out for sure, after tracking down the second owner he told me the miles on the car are close to accurate except for a period of time when the speedo was down and from inspecting the car close i think it is right ,original shocks, original clamps, all original cross fire, clean sound of engine no knockin or lifter tap, no oil consumption, cant see any evidence that the engine has been out of the car, but maybe i am wrong i know that 700r4s dont die that soon but yea rebuilt tranny from amco and they did a good job. anyway i did learn a lesson to never buy a car from another state and trust someone with out going to see it for myself, anyway i paid 9k for the car ,it is what it is not to bad and i am comitted to it now, the color is gold and the finish is still nice only 648made in this color

Last edited by pumper15; 04-11-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
pumper15
Smokin 50HP Club

Default choke

i know the car is not carburated and that the ECM calls all the shots .me using the term choke was just to get the message across that under cold start up the ecm is not getting the correct info to compensate for a cold wether start you follow me gold leader, plus let me humble myself in sayin i am not a professional mechanic but information is the key to making sure that i know were to look thanks

Last edited by pumper15; 04-11-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:36 PM   #6
toobroketoretire

Default 1982 CrossFire Injected Corvette

Quote:
i know the car is not carburated and that the ECM calls all the shots .me using the term choke was just to get the message across that under cold start up the ecm is not getting the correct info to compensate for a cold wether start you follow me gold leader, plus let me humble myself in sayin i am not a professional mechanic but information is the key to making sure that i know were to look thanks

Okay pumper, I have owned my '82 for 23 years and I can tell you most anything you would ever want to know about the Crossfire Injected engine. For starters there is a temperature sensor that is screwed into the front of the intake manifold about 3" to the right of center. That sensor gives the computer the coolant temperature needed to adjust the air/fuel mixture for cold starts. Then on the firewall behind the power brake unit is your MAP sensor. The MAP sensor reads manifold vacuum and sends that information to the computer. Also there is a throttle position switch (TPS) mounted on the left side of the left throttle body. That TPS gives the computer the amount of throttle opening and should be adjusted to .525 volts. Then there is a O2 sensor just ahead of your catalytic converter and that tells the computer how rich or lean your fuel mixture is. As your engine is "fuel injected" you always start it with a closed throttle. The computer will automatically make your engine fast idle when the coolant temperature is low and will gradually slow the engine down as it warms up. There is a 25 micron fuel filter in the inlet line and it's mounted on the right side frame rail right under the passenger's feet. Your electric fuel pump is mounted inside the fuel tank and it will only run for 2 seconds when you turn your key on unless your oil pressure switch reads 5 psi or more pressure. If the pressure is there the fuel pump will continue to run.

Keep me up-to-date and let me know if you have any other problems. I'll be glad to walk you through them.

Last edited by toobroketoretire; 04-11-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
pumper15
Smokin 50HP Club

Default 1982

sounds like i ran across the right person for advise thankyou i will check it out and catch up with you down the road for sure.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:53 PM   #8
toobroketoretire

Quote:
sounds like i ran across the right person for advise thankyou i will check it out and catch up with you down the road for sure.

Sounds good.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:46 AM   #9
RDR
Smokin Member

Can I step into this discussion? I too have an 82. I have done all of the standard plug, oil change, dizzy cap / rotor / coil things to it since I have purchased it last week. I have been spending most of my time reading about the xfire. I have a very rough idle. I am going to check the TPS for the correct voltage thanks to your post above. I also suspect that I may have a vac leak. How can I measure that? I read somewhere that if I pull one of the vac leads off, put a *T* in the line and then a gauge, I should be seeing 15-18 PSI of vac. Any thoughts on that, or the rough idle?

Thanks again!

Rick
RDR is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #10
fishslayer143@yahoo.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDR View Post
Can I step into this discussion? I too have an 82. I have done all of the standard plug, oil change, dizzy cap / rotor / coil things to it since I have purchased it last week. I have been spending most of my time reading about the xfire. I have a very rough idle. I am going to check the TPS for the correct voltage thanks to your post above. I also suspect that I may have a vac leak. How can I measure that? I read somewhere that if I pull one of the vac leads off, put a *T* in the line and then a gauge, I should be seeing 15-18 PSI of vac. Any thoughts on that, or the rough idle?

Thanks again!

Rick
welcome to SV.. and you can jump in anytime you like..rough idle can have numerous causes..if you connect a vac gauge to manifold, it can tell you a lot by its action. Thats what we old guys used before the age of computer diagnostics..this may help, http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm compare your gauge reading with the various scenarios , see what you match.. Toobroke has extensive knowledge of that damn crossfire system..if the trouble is in it, he can help.. he can also tell you about a better option if you want more upper rpm power.
fishslayer143@yahoo.com is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Share This Thread
  • Submit Thread to Digg
  • Submit Thread to del.icio.us
  • Submit Thread to Facebook
  • Submit Thread to StumbleUpon
  • Submit Thread to MySpace
  • Submit Thread to Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Google