• Corvette Forum
  • Login to Corvette Forums
  • SmokinVette.com
  • About SmokinVette.com
  • Corvette Forum
  • Corvette Gallery
  • Corvette Parts
  • Corvette Yellow Pages
SmokinVette.com Forums : Corvette Forums : C3 Corvette Forums : C3 Corvette General Discussion : Lifting the Body off the frame
C3 Corvette General Discussion
1968 - 1982 Corvettes Sponsored by
XS Power

Old 11-13-2010, 10:07 AM   #1
petes74
Smokin 200HP Club

Default Lifting the Body off the frame

I am just about ready to lift the body off the frame. Everything is either unhooked, disconnected, or unbolted.

I wanted to know if anyone else has done this to let me know what is the better way of lifting the body off. Knowing that I am limited to an 8ft ceiling and no lift.

I have seen some people do it with 8-10 guys man-handling it off the frame. I have seen an engine hoist lift it up as well as a winch rigged in the ceiling to lift it off.

Its going on a couple of sturdy saw horses I made from 6x6 lumber that will stand 44" off the ground.

Thanks in advance for the advise.

Pete
Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:30 PM   #2
USNChief
Smokin 3000HP Drag Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by petes74 View Post
I am just about ready to lift the body off the frame. Everything is either unhooked, disconnected, or unbolted.

I wanted to know if anyone else has done this to let me know what is the better way of lifting the body off. Knowing that I am limited to an 8ft ceiling and no lift.

I have seen some people do it with 8-10 guys man-handling it off the frame. I have seen an engine hoist lift it up as well as a winch rigged in the ceiling to lift it off.

Its going on a couple of sturdy saw horses I made from 6x6 lumber that will stand 44" off the ground.

Thanks in advance for the advise.

Pete
I have not done this yet. When you do, take some pics and let us know how it goes.

Jim F.
USNChief is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
torn1965
Smokin 50HP Club

Default Lifting the body off the frame

I have not lifted mine either pete. But can tell by looking and have read and bin told by others who have. Support the front as all that is holding it up when taking away the chassis is the joins at the doors and firewall. I would try to reduce the weight by removing anything heavy in the front. eg radiator , headlight assemblies. I finally got console to line up by moving the radio forward as much as possible. It still is a push and shove fit ,and I found using small picks to help line up the holes the best method. Just becareful around the padding. Have posted some picks in my gallary of vet in various states of repair . Good Luck with your lift. Regards Torn 1965
torn1965 is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:24 PM   #4
petes74
Smokin 200HP Club

Thanks for the advise. I ordered one of those lifting straps from Corvette Central and plan to lift it with an engine hoist. This rig has four straps to hook up on the body at the rocker panel. I will hook another strap to the nose via the radiator support. Once the body is up I have large saw horses I made that will support the body and the nose.

I will post some pics as I go along.

Here are some from today's work...

Here I removed the rocker panels...

Then I removed both front grills and all the supports for the front.

Here is one of the rear mounts that has to be replaced....Thank goodness the frame is still solid.

Here is what that mount looks like in the car. Not good...

Here are the two inside mounts...not bad. Just some superficial rust.

Last edited by petes74; 11-13-2010 at 07:08 PM.
petes74 is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:51 AM   #5
Rich G.
Smokin Member

I took my body off my 72. I used the lifting straps. I forget who I bought them from but I know they were real long and I have a high ceiling and It wasn't high enough.Got it up and had to take the wheels off the frame and drag it out. I had them shortened when I put it on. I did take the doors and t tops off first because I didn't like the way the door were getting squished with the straps so I just felt safer having them off. I also got the Nolan Adams book on lifting the body and they gave dimensions for building a cart to lay the body on. It fit nice but it left the nose hanging out by itself so I added another support. It sure made working on the drive line easy.
Rich G. is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:52 AM   #6
abike
Smokin 1000HP Twin Turbo Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich G. View Post
I took my body off my 72. I used the lifting straps. I forget who I bought them from but I know they were real long and I have a high ceiling and It wasn't high enough.Got it up and had to take the wheels off the frame and drag it out. I had them shortened when I put it on. I did take the doors and t tops off first because I didn't like the way the door were getting squished with the straps so I just felt safer having them off. I also got the Nolan Adams book on lifting the body and they gave dimensions for building a cart to lay the body on. It fit nice but it left the nose hanging out by itself so I added another support. It sure made working on the drive line easy.
building the cart for the body is a must. there are to type carts use the long one to support the nose.if you use a engine hoist you have to have enough room hieght wise and around you to manuver the body. it is much esier to hoist it up to the cieling and rolling out the chasis.the tank will be the highest point if room is a ? remove this first. leave the doors on for more support the straps are made to hook in the proper place and will not hurt the doors.if room is a problem then 8 guys can lift the body and you can roll out the chassis and roll the cart under in no time.
MAKE SURE THE NOSE IS SUPPORTED BECAUSE IF NOT IT WIIL PUT STRAIN ON THE JOINTS WHERE THE CLIP ATTACHES TO THE CAGE>
I did my 75 and just finished this year,
adam
abike is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:23 PM   #7
petes74
Smokin 200HP Club

Thanks for all the help on this...looks like I will have to lift it outside do to the low ceiling. I will leave the doors on for extra support when I lift the body. I will also have an extra strap going from the lift to the radiator support to hold the nose up. I will strip everything I can from the nose to lower the weight.

I have the drawings for the cart on my desk. I would like to be able to leave the body up in the air supported by 8ft wide wooden horses so I can stow the frame under it when I am not working on it. If I can't, then I will have to store it outside all winter on that cart. Don't know if I like that...

I could cover it with the car cover then wrap it with plastic sheathing then a tarp with bungee cords securing it to the cart. I guess that will free up the garage to work on the frame.

So much to do...so much to plan...
Old 11-14-2010, 01:44 PM   #8
fishslayer143@yahoo.com
Smokin 5000HP+ Posting Maniac

anytime you do a frame off restore, its a big project..but all the frame and suspension are easy to access ..I see from pics you have the rust issues common to C3 s. this will take considerable time, be patient, don t get overwhelmed, and the end result will be a beautiful car you can be proud of!
fishslayer143@yahoo.com is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
torn1965
Smokin 50HP Club

Default Lifting the Body off the frame

I was wondering why is pete doing this? His 74 looks good to me . But now I have seen the pictures I can see why. You found the rust when you went to replace the body to chassis mounts ? I had a 1958 chev once and in fixing her up I found a lot of rust, Heart breaking I know. The good thing is you can buy all the parts needed to fix her up. Are you going to strip and paint the chassis while your there? You might as well. Is this what salt and sand you guys put on your roads in winter does? What state was the 74 sold new in? good luck pete, Regards Torn 1965
torn1965 is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:24 PM   #10
petes74
Smokin 200HP Club

It was purchased in Virginia at Pallone Chevrolet back in Nov. '73. I still have the original title, the dealership's brochure, and the window sticker. He use to live in Washington D.C. for a Period of time. I guess that's why he bought it there...

As far as the paint...not yet. I only have a small budget to work with so it may take some time to do. I do have the battery box to repair and will be much easier to do with the body off.

I am stoked to start this work, and I will have plenty to do over the winter.

I will also be taking the engine to a proper builder. I have noticed the engine is burning oil. I had mentioned that in a prior post and thought it was do to using 20/50 oil. I switched to 10w/30 and I am still burning it. I think it might be a oil ring problem.

My neighbor across the street use to teach at a Vocational Tech School and one of his old students has a machine shop. He will be helping me with these problems and also balancing the rotating assembly.

With all this going on I will have plenty to do this winter. I will be posting my progress as it develops. It will be an uphill battle but well worth it when I am done.

Thanks again for all the help...

Peter H.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Share This Thread
  • Submit Thread to Digg
  • Submit Thread to del.icio.us
  • Submit Thread to Facebook
  • Submit Thread to StumbleUpon
  • Submit Thread to MySpace
  • Submit Thread to Twitter