• Corvette Forum
  • Login to Corvette Forums
  • SmokinVette.com
  • About SmokinVette.com
  • Corvette Forum
  • Corvette Gallery
  • Corvette Parts
  • Corvette Yellow Pages
SmokinVette.com Forums : Corvette Forums : C3 Corvette Forums : C3 Corvette General Discussion : Buying a Vette Common C3 Problems 1975-80
C3 Corvette General Discussion
1968 - 1982 Corvettes Sponsored by
XS Power

Old 08-14-2010, 12:22 AM   #1
leonidman
Smokin Member

Default Buying a Vette Common C3 Problems 1975-80

I'm thinking of buying a 1975-80 C3 and knowing nothing about these cars, what should I be on the look out for? Common rust areas, wiring issues etc.

Thanks a bunch
Jerry P
Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:29 AM   #2
VetteAholic
Smokin 4000HP World Challenge

Let's see what I can think of from the top of my head. The newer and less mileage the better. You may run into some eletrical problems in your dash. Radio not working, dimmer switch not working. You may run into vacuum issues, the pop up lights won't go up. The carb may or may not give you issues. Your brake calipers may start to leak. Rust may be all around the chassis, some will be minor rust, some not so minor . Though some Stingrays are in way better condition than others. Wait and see what another member will say. Hope I could be of help and Welcome to SmokinVette!!!

1992 Coupe,(SOLD)

2007 Coupe daily driver, (Financing!)

Wave to a fellow Corvette Owner
-

Contact me VIA Facebook: Facebook.com/VetteAholic
Any South Florida Corvette owners interested in joining a nice Corvette club, check out: www.CorvettesofMiami.com.
VetteAholic is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:10 AM   #3
abike
Smokin 1000HP Twin Turbo Club

Vetteaholic pretty much covered it.You either want a vette or you don't.Even the best looking vets have problems so treat it likeany car and decide if you really want it, then ask your self is it worth the price for what is right or wrong with it,If you answer yes then enjoy the good and the bad and make it your vette. GOOD LUCK either way.
abike is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:43 AM   #4
m37brat
Smokin 5000HP+ Posting Maniac

I think the best advice is don't think of it as an investment. If you are buying the car because you love it and want to enjoy and drive it, any thing can be fixed. Any Corvette is a car that almost any part can be bought or restored.

Here is proof that with a little hard work and more money than sense you can basically build one from the bottom up. Because of my stage of my life I may never actually finish my C3 but I always knew that the objeect was the car but the journey.

http://www.smokinvette.com/corvettef...ad.php?t=13379

Welcome to SV and enjoy the hunt and when you get your dream car remember to save the wave......

My Heroes Wear Combat Boots

If feel you can not stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand In Front Of Them!!!!!

http://www.iraqwarheroes.com/
m37brat is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:42 AM   #5
VetteAholic
Smokin 4000HP World Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by m37brat View Post
I think the best advice is don't think of it as an investment. If you are buying the car because you love it and want to enjoy and drive it, any thing can be fixed. Any Corvette is a car that almost any part can be bought or restored.

Here is proof that with a little hard work and more money than sense you can basically build one from the bottom up. Because of my stage of my life I may never actually finish my C3 but I always knew that the objeect was the car but the journey.

http://www.smokinvette.com/corvettef...ad.php?t=13379

Welcome to SV and enjoy the hunt and when you get your dream car remember to save the wave......

Glad you brought it up, I went over and checked it out, awesome topic It really sucks that parts were gone due to the attack. But what I read was really nice .

1992 Coupe,(SOLD)

2007 Coupe daily driver, (Financing!)

Wave to a fellow Corvette Owner
-

Contact me VIA Facebook: Facebook.com/VetteAholic
Any South Florida Corvette owners interested in joining a nice Corvette club, check out: www.CorvettesofMiami.com.
VetteAholic is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:01 AM   #6
toobroketoretire
Smokin 5000HP+ Posting Maniac

Default What To Look For

If the C3 has been garaged most of the time it won't have any serious rust issues. Only those that have remained outside will have rust issues, or those that come from states that salt their roads. Other than that, you may encounter bad electrical connections here and there. And caliper leakage is very normal. High mileage C3's will probably need new u-joints and will need to have the rear spindle bearings re-packed. It's nothing unusual to see fiberglass blistering on the very early C3's. My '82 is still in remarkable shape with 270,000 miles on it.
toobroketoretire is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
leonidman
Smokin Member

Thanks all for the replys.
I was looking at an add for a C3 that stated "the frame under the seats was whole and not rusted in half that was common with these cars."
I had a '80 Camaro that the frame was rusted above the rear axle, which later I found was common for them. This is what I was referring to.
Electrical and vacuum problems I can handle as well as most repairs and maintenance, grew up poor and had to work on my own cars as many others have also. I can do most of the work except for transmission rebuild and engine cylinder wall boring.

JerryP
leonidman is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:24 PM   #8
fishslayer143@yahoo.com
Super Moderator

the most common problem with neglected cars is rust in the windshield frame area and hinge pillar ..everything else is just as any other classic car..most anything you need for them is still available from several vendors...let us know if you buy one, we will be glad to assist .
fishslayer143@yahoo.com is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:49 AM   #9
2_Late_I_Won
Smokin 500HP Club

An issue with mine is the rear tires seem to burn off LOL But as everyone else stated I agree Also the (this is more cosmetic) clocks usually wont work and the visor elbow will break or fall down.
2_Late_I_Won is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:51 PM   #10
dochorsepower
Smokin Member

Default Buying a Vette Common C3 Problems 1975-80

OK, I'll add my 2 cents of experience from my 260,000 mile '75. Brakes are common, most guys have replaced with stainless sleeves. Electrical, engine compartment cowling harness can abrade and short out, that will have you scratching your head for awhile. Rear wheel bearings and u-joints are common replacement. Headlight actuators can be a problem, there are now some good seals made that cure the problem without replacing the complete unit. Front cross-member weld cracking, I've had mine fully welded and gusseted.
Good luck and enjoy.
dochorsepower is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Share This Thread
  • Submit Thread to Digg
  • Submit Thread to del.icio.us
  • Submit Thread to Facebook
  • Submit Thread to StumbleUpon
  • Submit Thread to MySpace
  • Submit Thread to Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Google