• Corvette Forum
  • Login to Corvette Forums
  • SmokinVette.com
  • About SmokinVette.com
  • Corvette Forum
  • Corvette Gallery
  • Corvette Parts
  • Corvette Yellow Pages
SmokinVette.com Forums : Corvette Forums : C4 Corvette Forums : C4 Scan & Tune : Top Speed??
C4 Scan & Tune

Old 05-18-2010, 07:25 AM   #1
eltee4
Smokin 50HP Club

Default Top Speed??

I was approached with an interesting computer question the other day,and not knowing the ins & outs of C4's computer all that well I decided to pose the question here.
Is the top speed a Vette was ever driven saved in the computer's memory, and is there a way to retrieve it?
Let me know what you think.
Thanks.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
robs1988
Smokin 2500HP Pro Road Racer

Not sure on a C4, but I highly doubt it, especially in the obd 1 C4, which accounts for all of them until the '96 model. I believe newer cars have the 'black box' that does record info, but I think that is limited to instances of a crash or airbag deployment. The interesting thing is whether a program like an onstar equipped vehicle would keep information such as that. I don't believe that as a third party they would be required to provide that unless there was an accident.
robs1988 is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:52 AM   #3
awnuts
Smokin 1000HP Twin Turbo Club

From what I read them black boxes keep a bunch of engine metrics.Along with braking and collision.And the onstar thing to me is very intrusive.Yes it can be a safety option but most of us carry cell phones that dont record your car.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
robs1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by awnuts View Post
the onstar thing to me is very intrusive.Yes it can be a safety option but most of us carry cell phones that dont record your car.

I like the Howie Long commercials for Chevy where they play up the cell phone thing by saying, 'oops, there goes the cell phone and you're upside down from a rollover'. I don't like the idea of being recorded either, with such data subject to overview by someone who may not be competent, but yet make decisions that can forever change someones life.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:43 AM   #5
Lugnut
Smokin Member

Default ?????

Is you Cell Phone GPS enabled. If so, I would bet someone somewere has found a way to get you speed off of that.
Lugnut is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:22 AM   #6
eltee4
Smokin 50HP Club

Default Top speed

Actually this question stemmed from a conversation from a Vette buyer's perspective. It would be a great negotiating tool to be able to scan a computer of a vette that is up for sale and marketed as being "BABIED" and find out it was run up to 150-160 mph.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:27 PM   #7
Lugnut
Smokin Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltee4 View Post
Actually this question stemmed from a conversation from a Vette buyer's perspective. It would be a great negotiating tool to be able to scan a computer of a vette that is up for sale and marketed as being "BABIED" and find out it was run up to 150-160 mph.
I see you point. But the last guy that told me he Babied his Vette raced cars for living. "Can you say Liar" But then I do not babied my Vette, and I will bet I may never get to 150mph. If you could tell how high the engines been tacked up might tell you more.
Lugnut is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:49 AM   #8
eltee4
Smokin 50HP Club

Default Top speed

The guy who raced cars for a living probably DID "baby" his vette and respected the rules of the road and racetrack like many, if not all, professional drivers do. I agree with you having access to the engine rev log would be great tool too, if the rev limiter, fuel cutoff, were bypassed or programmed out then it would give you some insight on the motor history. Other than that it would not be an advantage.
As far as calling someone a liar, nobody likes being "taken" and when push comes to shove the word "liar" is pretty tame these days.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:56 AM   #9
robs1988

That would make for an interesting tool, but because someone attempted top speed doesn't indicate a hard run car, unless their constantly doing this. I do know people that have raced cars most of their life, and have other toys such as a Vette, and do baby that car. Each of you bring up good points.

I personally don't race on the road. Too dangerous. But I would be interested in something like Bonneville, just to see what the top speed was. That is a controlled environment, much like the track.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:55 AM   #10
eltee4
Smokin 50HP Club

Default Top Speed

I would love to hit the salt flats and see what my top end really is. Good talking points is what this is all about.
Advertisement

Share This Thread
  • Submit Thread to Digg
  • Submit Thread to del.icio.us
  • Submit Thread to Facebook
  • Submit Thread to StumbleUpon
  • Submit Thread to MySpace
  • Submit Thread to Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Google