• Corvette Forum
  • Login to Corvette Forums
  • SmokinVette.com
  • About SmokinVette.com
  • Corvette Forum
  • Corvette Gallery
  • Corvette Parts
  • Corvette Yellow Pages
SmokinVette.com Forums : General Corvette Forums : Do It Yourself Forum : C6 Corvette Do It Yourself Forum : VaraRam CAI Install How-To
C6 Corvette Do It Yourself Forum
2005 + Corvettes

Old 09-21-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
powerlabs
Agent

Default VaraRam CAI Install How-To

This was my first C6 Corvette mod EVER!

I bought this intake used, with 2000miles. It didn't come with any instrutions at all, but the install was actually pretty simple:

The car is a 2006 2LT Z51 C6 with a 6 speed manual transmission. I could not find a definite answer to the question of wether the extra cooler on the Z51 package would interfere with the pre-cut shroud. I found that it does not.
I headed downstairs and jacked the car up:

(notice the beautiful 6000lbs rating red anodized lightweight aluminum jackstands and the low profile lightweight aluminum car jack. Love'em :thumbs: )
I used the front crossmember as my jacking point and jacking pucks to support the frame rails in the front only.

The intake: A lot has been said about Vararam's build quality... I won't go there, but here is what one looks like with 2000 miles of use. The filter was still clean, but the foam seal is appearently the stick-on kind and the adhesive has not held up at all.

I removed the foam seal completely, cleaned it and the mating surfaces with acetone, and then re-glued the seals using "GOOP", a much more durable proposition than the adhesive it came in with. Satisfied that the intake was air tight and likely to remain that way, it was time to lay down the tools.

I used a 10mm wrench to remove the positive cable from the battery, a screwdriver to remove the hose clamp between the MAF sensor and the stock intake. The stock intake comes off very easily. Then a larger socket can be used to remove the radiator cover. From there, it is time to get to work on the shroud. Mine came with a pre-cut:

Interestingly none of the instructions I came across adress using the pre-cut shroud, except for one mention that it is supposed to be easier. Installing the shroud took the longest time, by far. There is a plug (ambient air temperature, I am assuming) on the passenger side that needs to be unplugged and removed, and a bracket for another plug a little bit above it. Remove both. I used a screwdriver.
Then, underneath the car, remove the bolts holding down the front of the front bumper, ahead of the diffuser, and the nuts (one in each side) behind the diffuser. This will allow you to pull the bumper skin back enough to pop one tab from each side. Pop the remaining tabs from the shroud (6 in total) and pull it off. It took a little effort.
Installing the new pre cut shroud took a little pushing and twisting but it popped into place. I was careful enough to not break any tabs, so I could reuse them. After replacing the radiator cover I put the intake into place:

I installed it assembled and had a fellow Corvette enthusiast (hi Les) help pull the intake against the throttle body while I installed the hose clamp. Notice I also removed the VR sticker. I prefer things stealthy.

It looks OK. Personally I think the stocker is a better looking intake, but you can't argue with results. I was pleased with it when I took my neighbor out for a ride

10,000 or so miles later I found dirt on my MAF screen from the intake warping AGAIN... I pulled it off. The VaraRam may be one of the "best" intakes out there for power, but their quality control still has a ways to go... I am told that there is a review after this one that addresses some of the sealing issues... Either way, if you want to install one this write up may be useful.
Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
DarthvaderII
Smokin 400HP Club

Thanks for posting this.
DarthvaderII is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:46 PM   #3
Beach bum
Smokin 200HP Club

Great write up powerlabs! Man where have you been hiding?

2006 C6 Corvette: LG 1 3/4" Headers, Borla exhaust, Blackwing, 160
Beach bum is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:49 PM   #4
HummerMan
Smokin 1000HP Twin Turbo Club

Keep the information coming, I've been following your post and threads. Very good reading.

"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." - Norman Schwarzkopf
HummerMan is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:56 PM   #5
peterslocker
Smokin 100HP Club

You really addressed everything. I have heard that these don't hold up to time with the seals and parts of it warping. Has anyone addressed this with Vararam? I would be curious on what their techs are saying and why their quality control dept isn't doing something about this. Great write up.
peterslocker is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:36 PM   #6
REHAB
Smokin 400HP Club

Very detailed instructions. Thank you for posting

"The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one often comes from a strong will, and the other from a strong won't."
REHAB is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:58 AM   #7
BUBBA
Smokin 1000HP Twin Turbo Club

Saved in favorites

2007 Indy 500 Pace Car - 2240 miles
2001 C5 6 Speed Corvette - 96,000 miles
2003 Dodge Ram Pickup - 54,000 miles
1984 C4 Corvette - 68,000 miles - SOLD and Missed
BUBBA is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:25 AM   #8
Corvettes of Dallas-PARTS
Smokin Vendor

What a nice mod!

We love the Vararam!

-Adam
Corvettes of Dallas-PARTS is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:10 PM   #9
Chet Fleming
Smokin 100HP Club

Killer write up
Chet Fleming is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:07 PM   #10
WingMan
Smokin 200HP Club

You put some time into these write ups, I'm sure these will come in very handy to some Corvette owners.
WingMan is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Share This Thread
  • Submit Thread to Digg
  • Submit Thread to del.icio.us
  • Submit Thread to Facebook
  • Submit Thread to StumbleUpon
  • Submit Thread to MySpace
  • Submit Thread to Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Google