• Corvette Forum
  • Login to Corvette Forums
  • SmokinVette.com
  • About SmokinVette.com
  • Corvette Forum
  • Corvette Gallery
  • Corvette Parts
  • Corvette Yellow Pages
SmokinVette.com Forums : Corvette Forums : C4 Corvette Forums : C4 Corvette General Discussion : Dana 36 To Dana 44
C4 Corvette General Discussion
1984 - 1996 Corvettes

Old 06-23-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
SHORTTRACKER63
Smokin Member

Default Dana 36 To Dana 44

I'm building an ITO race car out of a 1987 C4. The C4 originally came with a 5.7 TPI engine and auto transmission with a DANA 36 rear end. I have access to a DANA 44 center, carrier, bat wing and ladder. Does anybody know if the half shafts, trailing arms and other hardware will transfer over, or will I need all new components to fit the DANA 44? Anybody know what the torque and hp ratings are for the DANA 44? Any insight will be appreciated. THOMAS
Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
95vette
Smokin 1000HP Twin Turbo Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHORTTRACKER63 View Post
I'm building an ITO race car out of a 1987 C4. The C4 originally came with a 5.7 TPI engine and auto transmission with a DANA 36 rear end. I have access to a DANA 44 center, carrier, bat wing and ladder. Does anybody know if the half shafts, trailing arms and other hardware will transfer over, or will I need all new components to fit the DANA 44? Anybody know what the torque and hp ratings are for the DANA 44? Any insight will be appreciated. THOMAS
You need to change the C beam, the driveshaft, & batwing. Everything else will just swap over.
You should be good for 500 hp or more.
95vette is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:24 PM   #3
SHORTTRACKER63
Smokin Member

That's good to know. I'm getting a new/used bat wing, and I have a used "c" channel or ladder, but I plan to use the ZF6 transmission with a modified LT4 engine. If I have to modify the ladder to accommodate the trans change, that I can do. That 500 hp rating is nice to know. That's about what I expect my engine to produce if I go ahead and boost the compression to 12.7. I may limit the cmpression to 10.5 so that I can run pump gas. If I ran the numbers right, that's going to limit my max horsepower to about 420. Not great for a race car, but $3.00 per gallon for pump gas, versus $8.00 per gallon for 114 octane race fuel, well, that's life. Do you know what the ZF6 transmission is rated for, torque and horsepower?
SHORTTRACKER63 is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #4
vetteoz
Smokin 2500HP Pro Road Racer

Quote:
If I have to modify the ladder to accommodate the trans change, that I can do.
If you have a D44 C beam then it is a bolt in ; the longer D36 beam can be redrilled to suit.

Last edited by vetteoz; 06-23-2009 at 05:19 PM.
vetteoz is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:06 AM   #5
brads84c4
Smokin 200HP Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95vette View Post
You need to change the C beam, the driveshaft, & batwing. Everything else will just swap over.
You should be good for 500 hp or more.
That is awsome!! 500+ would be so much fun!!

Plymouth Prowler 2000
Chevy Tahoe 2003
Yamaha R1 Superbike
brads84c4 is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:48 PM   #6
SHORTTRACKER63
Smokin Member

I can see why you'd be excited for a street car, but really, for a race car 500 hp is not that impressive. I run a GT-1 Vette with a 395 cu.in displacement, naturally aspirated, 12.8:1 compression, with 862 hp, per the dyno. Now, it does that at 8640 rpm, with a useable power developed between 6200 and 8000 rpm. Not exactly "streetable", but real fun at Sebring or Daytona. The GT-1 class is fun, but real expensive to run. By building an ITO car, I can keep racing, have fun, and hopefully spend a lot less money. 500 hp will have to do. The GT-1 car sis for sale. Interested???
SHORTTRACKER63 is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:56 PM   #7
CFI-EFI
Smokin 1000HP Twin Turbo Club

Quote:
I have access to a DANA 44 center, carrier, bat wing and ladder. Does anybody know if the half shafts, trailing arms and other hardware will transfer over, or will I need all new components to fit the DANA 44?THOMAS
As stated, the "C" beam (ladder bar?) can be redrilled for the longer D44 diff. The holes in the auto trans and the manual trans, either 4+3 or ZF 6 speed, for the "C" beam bolts are in the same location. It is the longer nose of the D44 diff that requires the shorter "C" beam.

For the same reason, the D44 drive shaft is also 13/16" shorter. Because the diff is stationary in an IRS little to no slip is needed. Several have reused the drive shaft from the D36 in their D44 conversions.

Of course the batwing is the rear cover of the diff and since the bolt patterns are different the batwing is is needed.

Except for the aforementioned, year for year, the D36 and the D44 rear suspensions are identical. The half shafts from any C4 will interchange with any other, 1984 - 1996. The dog bones, camber rods, tie rods, knuckles, spindles, etc are all the same. Only the diff (center carrier) is different.

RACE ON!!!
CFI-EFI is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Share This Thread
  • Submit Thread to Digg
  • Submit Thread to del.icio.us
  • Submit Thread to Facebook
  • Submit Thread to StumbleUpon
  • Submit Thread to MySpace
  • Submit Thread to Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Google