• Corvette Forum
  • Login to Corvette Forums
  • SmokinVette.com
  • About SmokinVette.com
  • Corvette Forum
  • Corvette Gallery
  • Corvette Parts
  • Corvette Yellow Pages
SmokinVette.com Forums : Corvette Forums : C7 Corvette Forums : C7 Corvette General Discussion : C7 Corvette could get dual clutch transmission?
C7 Corvette General Discussion
Discussion on the C7 Corvette.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:25 AM   #1
vettegirl2007
Smokin 750HP Supercharged Club

Default C7 Corvette could get dual clutch transmission?

I have been keeping my eye out for information on the new C7 Corvette and here is a new one I just found, whats the need anyway for a dual clutch transmission?

Here it is:

Late last Friday after the local union officials got to hear the details about the new GM-UAW contract details started emerging about future product plans. It looks like part of the cost for the company to get the union to make some concessions was to commit new products to a bunch of plants. At first we only heard about the assembly plants with the news that the Volt would be produced in Detroit and the small RWD Alpha platform would go to Lordstown OH. Now more of the contract is coming out including commitments to parts plants.

Of interest to Corvette fans is a line item for the Toledo OH transmission plant which reads "RWD DCT for NG Corvette will be allocated (2012)". DCT typically refers to dual clutch transmission. That means the C7 'Vette will almost surely get a DCT. Another product for Toledo and the Baltimore transmission plant is the RWD Gen II Hybrid transmission for 2011/12. This could be an updated, and hopefully lower cost version, of the Two-Mode that could be applied to other applications. Hmmm... do I hear hybrid Zetas? One plant that isn't getting new product is the Livonia, MI engine plant that produces the Northstar V-8s used in Cadillacs when that engine dies in 2010. GM announced a new V-8 engine earlier this year that would be built at the Tonawanda, NY engine plant and the Livonia plant will close.

[Source: GM Inside News]
Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:44 AM   #2
Ed @ Late Model Speed
Smokin Vendor

A dual clutch transmission would allow smooth engagement on higher horsepower vehicles, without overpowering the clutch.

Ed
Decatur, IN USA 46733
WWW.LMSPEED.COM sales@lmspeed.com
Ed @ Late Model Speed is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:45 AM   #3
howsmyrear
Smokin 200HP Club

This is some good info to read. I am waiting for the C7 to come out and it will be the next Vette that I will own! Can't wait!
howsmyrear is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:28 PM   #4
BlazingC5
Smokin 400HP Club

A dual clutch transmission is sometimes called an automated manual transmission or a semi-automatic transmission. The system uses 2 clutches but doesn't have the clutch pedal in the car as in a manual transmission. The clutches work independently of each other and one clutch powers the odd gears, the other the even gears. When the driver shifts gears, electronics and hydraulics control the clutches. With this system, there is little if any lag between gears and shifting can be accomplished without interrupting the flow of power. The double clutch system also has an automatic mode where the system will automatically shift the gears up or down, simulating an automatic transmission.
BlazingC5 is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:25 PM   #5
Audio Dave
BANNED

Send a message via Yahoo to Audio Dave
Talking

Wonder if this will allow for integration of the "true" paddle shifter setup for manual transmissions?? Hmmm... Corvette & GM keep pushing the envelope... no wonder Mustang & Ford gave up a long time ago trying to keep pace with GM.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
Ricovette
Smokin 2000HP Road Racer

... ... "Rico"

Yesterday is History...Tomorrow is a Mystery...Today is a Gift...That's why it's called, "The Present". RWE
If The Present Seems To Be The Darkest, The Future Can Only Be Brighter.
Ricovette is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:01 PM   #7
Northern
Smokin Member

sounds so good, if it would be and dual clutch trans, i mean look on the porches and all other sport cars using that type of drive train, the 0-60 improvement is just amazing that they get, i will hold my thumbs for that this will be an reality. then my next corvette for sure will be with this drive train option
Northern is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #8
c6vette
Smokin 1000HP Twin Turbo Club

A DCT would be nice.. and since I was planning to add a c6 Z06 to the stable and TT it...I wouldn't mind at all if the c7's came with a V-8 TT option. My only question then would be,.. is what size aftermarket turbo's to get.
Guess I'll wait and see what options they offer with the c7's.
2006 Blk C6 vert w/A&A Supercharger kit w/V-3 T Trim, RTech LT's w/hi-flo cats, Corsa Extreme exhaust, built .408, cam, ported LS2 heads, twin intank pumps, & DYAD CF Clutch. New dyno #'s 726rwhp/689tq
c6vette is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:56 AM   #9
administrator
Administrator

DCT would be so nicee!
administrator is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:25 AM   #10
vettex2
Smokin 4000HP World Challenge

this is why you don't buy the first year a model comes out
NASCAR Whelen All American Weekly Series California State Championship Crew Member (Pavement)
vettex2 is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Share This Thread
  • Submit Thread to Digg
  • Submit Thread to del.icio.us
  • Submit Thread to Facebook
  • Submit Thread to StumbleUpon
  • Submit Thread to MySpace
  • Submit Thread to Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Google