• Corvette Forum
  • Login to Corvette Forums
  • SmokinVette.com
  • About SmokinVette.com
  • Corvette Forum
  • Corvette Gallery
  • Corvette Parts
  • Corvette Yellow Pages
SmokinVette.com Forums : Corvette Forums : C3 Corvette Forums : C3 Corvette General Discussion : C3 Paint prep - bond seams
C3 Corvette General Discussion
1968 - 1982 Corvettes Sponsored by
XS Power

Old 06-01-2015, 04:13 AM   #1
bobg74
Smokin Member

Default C3 Paint prep - bond seams

1974 t-top needs paint, Current condition is clear coat pealing and many nicks and scratches in color coat (car was repainted around 16 years). At that time I replaced the pass front fender with VPA that bond seam still looks good, didn't know enough at time to to refresh other seams so they photographed right thru new paint! The driver side bond seam after hand sanding is visible (low) in a few places but smooth in others.
Do I need to grind out the seam and skim coat with VPA? Any recommendations on the products to use? Im pretty certain my body panels are SMC there was a hand written note above gas tank (bottom of rear deck) "special adhesive", I think it was a reminder to factory guys to use SMC glue. My questions are :

If I skim coat seams how much do i grind out, what products to use?

If I glass in what resin to use and what filler after?
Looking up Evercoat VPA it says not for SMC pnls but many on forums say its good, I know I used it to bond and fill in the pass fender 16 years ago but really don't remember what the can said and wasnt aware of the SMC issue then.

New to forum will post photo when I know how.
Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:17 AM   #2
fishslayer143@yahoo.com
Super Moderator

You don t need to grind it all out unless its cracked or pinholed.. Evercoat VPA is fine for filler on seams .. But not for Bonding SMC panels ,you need epoxy based adhesive.for that.. Your car is SMC .. you don t need to lay any glass down..... I do recommend you strip all old paint

Last edited by fishslayer143@yahoo.com; 06-01-2015 at 07:21 AM. Reason: ran out of beer, had to go to store
fishslayer143@yahoo.com is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:57 PM   #3
bobg74
Smokin Member

Thanks for the advise, just noted that u need 10 or so post to include a photo so Ill wait on that.
bobg74 is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:05 PM   #4
fishslayer143@yahoo.com
Super Moderator

just make a few 1 word posts..like HELLO.. put up some pics as you go..Welcome aboard
Old 06-02-2015, 12:39 PM   #5
bobg74
Smokin Member

thanks for the welcome, I do have a few fiberglass repairs to make:

1. The passenger door skin was replaced many years ago the replacement skin was pre drilled for a wider mirror (74 used small side view mirrors) so the unused holes show just past the mirror gasket. I looked at west system 105 epoxy kit for fiberglass repairs it looks good to me.... Any thoughts ? I plan to fill in the 4 holes I have now, and after then drill new holes for my smaller mirror mount. most of repair will be concealed by mirror so I thought it a good place to start
Old 06-02-2015, 01:17 PM   #6
fishslayer143@yahoo.com
Super Moderator

Not familiar with it. Evercoat makes great stuff for Fiberglass ..I used nothing but their products in my shop for years.. I ve been out of the business for quite awhile but, I still use their stuff on my own projects.. Whatever you use, Read labels, make sure its for SMC , some Polyesters don t work on it.. Evercoat FiberTech is great for smaller repairs not requiring mat and resin work. If you must use mat and resin, do back side first if you have access and . mask EVERYTHING off around the repair.. It makes a mess .. Just take your time, it will come out great ..Remember, put up pics

Last edited by fishslayer143@yahoo.com; 06-02-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:39 PM   #7
bobg74
Smokin Member

Yea working my way to being photo qualified! Maybe halfway there.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:02 PM   #8
bobg74
Smokin Member

A few photos of my issues:

Old 06-02-2015, 04:03 PM   #9
fishslayer143@yahoo.com
Super Moderator

I would remove all that old paint.. Many a new paint job has been ruined by defects coming from the old finish underneath coming thru later
Old 06-02-2015, 04:19 PM   #10
bobg74
Smokin Member

I was planning on sanding down to primer, than letting paint shop have it. I guess I could sand a little more its easy once into the primer. The reason I stopped is my paint shop called and would like me to do the work there so they can seal a part when ready (doors, hood, tee tops). Painter is concerned about contaminated surfaces. I want to get the glass work done at home if possible so Im going to do the mirror and only exposed enough to glass that in.

Back to bond seams photo is of pass rear fender note factory bond seam mapping not bad but I plan to grind say 1/4" deep and skim coat with VPA.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Share This Thread
  • Submit Thread to Digg
  • Submit Thread to del.icio.us
  • Submit Thread to Facebook
  • Submit Thread to StumbleUpon
  • Submit Thread to MySpace
  • Submit Thread to Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Google