Chevy Corvette Forum banner

Assy diagram not clear - need help

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  homergoober 
#1 ·
I'm redoing my pillar post weather strip on my 1976 vette. I want to put it back together like it came from the factory. I am ready to put it back together and I'm not sure how many screws hold the trim piece/weatherstripping assembly to the pillar post. Does each side get 4 or 5 screws? Mine had 4 on each side but I think it was missing a 5th screw at the top of each weather strip. Also which screws should be the stainless trim screws and which are supposed to be the black pan head screws?

Here is a link to the Zip screw set. It only shows 8 screws. Other suppliers have 10 screw sets with all black panhead screws.

http://www.zip-corvette.com/Product...p+Screws&Referer=&Alias=&ptct=SGR-SR&CTitle=&

Your pictures or comments would help me alot.
Thanks

#3 ·
I contacted them. Zip is no help - I ordered their screw kit. It came with all black pan head screws (not what was pictured on their website). They said the pan heads are correct and they are changing their website pic. I think they are wrong as the other suppliers sell the kit with the stainless trim screws. Even on my vette, some of the original screws were the stainless trim kind.

#4 ·
On my '80 I believe that there were 3 or 4 screws that screwed the trim to the pillar, then you insert the weatherstrip over them and the weatherstrip has a spot at the top that also gets screwed to the pillar. On mine, I think all the screws are covered by the weatherstrip and pillar moldings, so black screws are what were used. It's been a while since I did it, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

#6 ·
I'm looking at the 1976 service manual and it shows four tapered head screws holding the weatherstrip retainer and one pan head screw in the top of the weatherstrip. I tried to look at my '75 for you but I just discovered the trim screws on both sides are frozen in place. Probably rust. Another chore for the list.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.