Chevy Corvette Forum banner

This is going to suck. (Replace power brake booster)

4K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  fatguyzinc 
#1 ·
I'm going to replace the brake booster, if anyone has any advice on this one, I'd like to read it.
Thanks
Kenny K.

#2 ·
remove drivers seat. flip upside down like your in the space shuttle. dont be fat. lots of wobble extensions help, that top driver side nut is a beeyatch...when you put chair back make SURE the seatback is up before chair is bolted down--it wont reclear steering wheel when you try to pull it up if it goes under it when placed in car...or so i,ve been told. i would never do a boneheaded move like that myself,despite claims to the contrary...no video means it never happened, right? RIGHT !!!! and good luck. youre right, it is gonna suck. i feel your pain. :Banane08:

#5 ·
Toobroke, he "Googled" us..haha..

Are you telling me he now knows I'm George Clooney and you're Forrest Gump? Crap fish, I thought our secrets would remain hidden. By the way fish, I'm having a "ball" (wink wink) on my honeymoon.

Okay, I just put a new 195 degree Stant thermostat in my '71 because I was running a 180 degree and I couldn't get my heater to blow much warm air until I had driven almost 20 miles.

When I put it in I measured the flange thickness and found it's only .020" thick whereas the counterbore depth is .035" which means drilling a hole in it would be a ridiculous WASTE OF TIME.

Drilling holes in thermostats is an urban myth that got started by some moron many years ago and then that "need" got passed around from moron to moron ever since.

#10 ·
My Dodge Ram has a factory hole in the t-Stat....has a checkball in it.. I assume its to release any trapped air since it is at the very bottom of the engine instead of the top as with SMC and BBC
I'm seeing those holes more and more.

#13 ·
Its true the first couple years they had a smaller input shaft that did not hold high output engines, but that was corrected mid 80s.. There are many behind stout engines doing very well now if properly built. Half a dozen Performance Trans Builders are selling tons of them, capable of holding 750-900HP and more .. TCI, PATC, Monster , all seem to be building very strong 700r4s.. and now you can even change the 1-2 gear ratio difference ... You had bad experience with them, I get that, but I have been very pleased with mine... I shredded a TH350 with my Stroker, left it in pieces, that's why I went to a 700r4

#14 ·
i get it, you like them. i dont. we can agree to disagree...i just dont end every 3rd or 4th conversation about some other topic with a push to convert over to my way "because its so much better"....know what i mean, jellybean? :Banane08:

#20 ·
EX, You are correct, I had to go back and look.. It started with a brake booster, then Toobroke brought up holes in T-Stats and then Fatguy steered the conversation to 700r4..and it went downhill from there... Lets all agree to never bring up T-Stats holes to Toobroke or 700r4s to Fatguy anymore ... Now, what were we talking about again??? I forget!! LOL!

#23 ·
Power brake booster

I'm taking my car to a local shop, I tried to remove the booster but I'm to large to move once I'm under the dash. I got a good price 140.00 dollars using my booster, also they are bleeding the brakes .I'm not a fan off someone else working on my car, but I need help with this one.

#24 ·
I'm taking my car to a local shop, I tried to remove the booster but I'm to large to move once I'm under the dash. I got a good price 140.00 dollars using my booster, also they are bleeding the brakes .I'm not a fan off someone else working on my car, but I need help with this one.
i hear ya. 6 foot 2, 300LBS here. it is NOT easy to fit under that dash! and for $140 i would pay them 2x and not blink an eye, thats a REALLY good price!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.