Chevy Corvette Forum banner

C6 Cold Weather Shifting

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Drew@Kooks 
#1 ·
My '07 C6(manual 6 speed) just will not shift in cold weather. Now, I'm talking about Southern Arizona cold weather, we aren't talk -20 degrees or even 0 degrees.

Under 60 degrees it hard shift, lower than 50 degrees, and it just won't shift at all. I'm having to place the car in the gear I need to leave the parking spot in (first or reverse) just to get it moving, after a while it loosen back up.

I've been told "well that's just the nature of the beast" to which I call BS!!

I'm using the Dot4 GM clutch fluid.
Is there anything I can do? Different fluid?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Tim

#2 ·
When temps drop into the 40s and colder, these cars need a little more effort until the tranny warms up and that should only take a mile or or two. I put redline D4 in mine to help with shifting when the temps are in 30s and colder and that helps a little, but it still needs a little mileage to warm up and feel like a 70* day. Even on a 20* day, it shifts although I need to double clutch it in the low gears until the fluid warms up. Thick fluid causes the synchros to be a slower.

In your case, something is not right. DOT 4 is the correct clutch fluid and it doesn't sound like a clutch issue since you can take off in first gear, so long as you don't shift. You can try changing the tranny fluid but my first thought is a worn bushing in the shifter or the shifter is slightly out of adjustment (e.g. not centered properly).

#5 ·
I don’t know if you have had the car since new but I would have the transmission fluid checked for the correct product. It is possible some service technician installed the incorrect fluid.
The other possibility is your shift linkage. In any case your transmission is not normal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.