Chevy Corvette Forum banner

What cleaner for polished aluminum?

6K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  jrhead73 
#1 ·
Hello all. I have a set of 17" AFS ZR1 style wheels for my '87. They are the polished aluminum and they are starting to get cloudy. I was told when I first got them to use a carnuba wax on them to protect them. However, I sometimes wonder if that's what's causing the haze I see. They used to look like chrome - now not so much.

I see a lot of wheel cleaners out there. I've heard that I should be really careful on bare polished aluminum. Does anyone have any ideas what I can use to clean these and get the shine back?

Thanks!
Mike

#2 ·
I use mothers aluminim polish on my C4 rims but othere will work
buffing is the only way to get rid of cloudy areas

#3 ·
I saw that in the store, but was leery. I guess I don't trust things unless I hear someone else had good results. Is it worth getting a polishing ball thingie for my drill to do this? Or just a soft cotton cloth and some elbow grease?

I want good results, but I'm probably not willing to spend 30 minutes per wheel either. :)

Thanks!
Mike

#4 ·
I don't know about the balls but I do use a polisher
they look like new
but mine are stock wheels with painted inserts w/o any nooks and crannies

#7 ·
Wenol is a great polish, and the mothers is a very good polish as well.......My younger brother had a 95 Mustang GT with the 18" Cobra R wheels and he used Mothers on them and they always looked like brand new....he did eventually get one of those power balls didn't really do a better job but it was a faster job

#9 ·
it's in my trailer , mothballed
maybe later......
basically the areas that are not "faced" are painted to match the car

#11 ·
Do your rims have clear coat? If so, Duz-All is touted to be awesome. Just ordered some a few days ago. Should restore, without damaging the clear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.