Chevy Corvette Forum banner

The FACTS about C6 tires

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  fishslayer143@yahoo.com 
#1 · (Edited)
I have attempted to find out facts about problems, if any, with the standard Good Year factory installed run-flat tires. I have read a lot of good information of the run-flat tires, and I have read a lot of subjective responses from persons expressing their 'feelings' about the tires. Some people expressed that the run-flats feel like driving a tank. Huh, comparing a Corvette with a tank?

The facts I have read that the unsprung weight is up by 17%, but nobody was able to presents objective results how this additional %17 unsprung weight negatively impacts the car's performance.

Some persons expressed not so good run-flat tire performance in the rain. This is again subjective evaluation, but is there some fact based data, that clearly shows how various tires perform under identical testing conditions?

Also, while the run-flats might be a touch heavier, one clear advantage is that you save weight by not having to carry around a spare tire with all the required parafenilia required for the tire change ceremony.

So can somebody point to some facts instead of some subjective hand waving?

Also while evaluating facts, the magnitude of differentiation should be considered. As an example if tire 'A' you can do 0.965 G's on the skid pad and with tire 'B' under identical circumstances the obtained metrics are 0.97, does this slight difference really matter?

Ok, let's the discussions begin. This forum is pretty stale so we need some excitement going.

:1sm258fight:

See less See more
#2 ·
Since the vehicles that use high performance run-flat tires in the sizes we use on our Corvettes are a small percentage of the overall vehicle universe, I doubt that too much emphasis is put on their testing by major testing organizations. If, however, you happen to find one, please let us know.

My subjective review for the standard EMT on my 2006 C6 is that, at 29,000 miles, they are OK for my driving style. I do not expect a Cadillac ride out of a Corvette and if I wanted a Cadillac ride I would have purchased one.

#3 ·
while I can t give you technical data to support this... RUN FLATS SUCK!!!!!!! get rid of them, and you will never even consider them again....the difference in all aspects are tremendous.. as to having to carry a spare tire and equip...not necessary ,do what we all do, get a small 12v compressor and a tire repair kit.or just get AAA road service

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.