Chevy Corvette Forum banner

Supercharger help!

6K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  78c3po 
#1 ·
I have an 06 with the Edelbrock Supercharger and Z06 fuel pump. I recently had to have it detuned to 91 octane because I can not get 93-94 where I live. During the dyno tune. The intake temps were very high and got up to 150. Even after letting I set to cool down we had to reduce the timing to avoid knock. The tuner suggested either long tube headers or Methanol injection to get back some of my lost hp and keep air intake temps down. This car is a daily driver so I wasn't sure about methanol. Could somebody please give me some advise or which they would reccomend.

#4 ·
you will find that it becomes a real pain in the *** to keep full, the small reservoir that comes with water/methanol injection kits, especially if you don t just drive around town..I would try to use something larger for reservoir ...however, it will stop your detonation problem and allow for a more aggressive tune.. headers are always a good improvement, will increase WHP, but won t help your current problem.

#5 ·
I agree, but the Methanol won't kick-in until you're in boost correct?? so if that's the case, daily driving habits won't be a "drain" on your tank. Now, if you're always hammering the throttle and find yourself in boost a lot, then yes...trying to keep your tank full would be come a PITA.

Have you thought about a forged bottom?? I thought about going Meth too, but would rather have the safety and reliability of a forged bottom-end.

#7 ·
Thanks, for the input. I only have 40K on the car so I didn't want to get into the engine yet but, yes I would love to have forged parts. I only run 7psi boost but the Edelbrock SC sitting on top of the engine soaks up alot of heat. It has awsome low end torque but, I guess thats the trade off. I was hoping ceramic or stainless headers would get heat away from the engine area quicker than the factory exhaust where it seems to soak it up.

#11 ·
I thought the E Force SC kits come with intercoolers?? What about a methanol based octane booster to get back to 93 - 94 octane? We were at the local Auto Zone beginning of summer, and of course I've forgotten which one the guy recommended. He said it was the only one he has used that actually works & it was methanol based . . . If you have an AZ around you, maybe they'll know which one it was.

#12 ·
The Edelbrock SC does come with an intercooler but IMO it's not large enough to keep down air intake temps. I might try an electric fan on the intercooler as well as wraped & coated headers.

#13 ·
I would think that during the different stages of bringing this kit to market, they would take into account the intercooler and temps factor. Have your change your pcm to have the fans come on at 160??

I've never used wraps, have always been advised against it, but I'm certainly no expert. I'd check with other guys who've done wraps and see what they say as well.

#15 ·
Header wraps work very well in insulating the exhaust heat from the engine bay and help keep the exhaust velocity high, but there is a drawback, they trap moisture between the wrap and the header. Which leads to the headers rusting/rotting prematurely, even the chrome plated ones! Been there done that. Ceramic coating is the way to go!
-But if you already have headers on the car, then just wrap them for now and when they rot out change them then.

#16 ·
Very good points!!! yes, it has an 160 stat and the fans come on early. I have ordered ceramic coated headers so hopefully they will not rust with a wrap. The dyno has a fan but I'm sure its not the same air flow as running down the road. Maybe its not as bad as I thought running down the road. However it does require long cool down periods to tune it correctly on the dyno.

#17 ·
So the high temps have only happened while on the dyno?? The temps would definitely be lower if the car was in motion.

Still odd to me, as when I took my car in for a dyno.. It was about an hours drive in hot, humid, muggy 90+ degree weather and I drove hard too. Got to the shop..car sat for about 15 minutes in the shop..where it was even hotter! 110+ in the garage. We did 3 good pulls,..didn't take long for heat-soak to set-in. My temps stayed in a
good comfortable range.

On the other hand, just had a thought that the type of charger could be the issue if there's nothing else wrong. As you can see from my siggy
I have the A&A..temps are always in a good safe range. Some input from someone with a similar setup would help in Troubleshooting. If someone has a similar setup and no heating issues, then you'd have to start looking elsewhere for the problem.

#18 ·
I agree. I think with the Edelbrock sitting on top of the engine makes it more prone to heat soak than other types.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.