Chevy Corvette Forum banner

TOTALLED the Z06!

5K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  joey 
#1 ·
Had been raining all day, stopped raining and decide to drive to a Christmas get together because most of my family had not seen the "Z". On the way back just cruising down the highway the car hydroplaned and spun into a guardrail and demolished the entire passenger side! Luckily the insurance company totalled it and payed me well over what I expected. :)

Needless to say the next vette will never see anything but sunny days nomatter who hasnt seen it yet!! :doh:

As for the next one I am having a few problems with exactly what I want! I have narrowed it down to two options at the moment:

2006 Z06 2LZ LeMans Blue(Favorite Color) with two-tone ebony/cashmere interior(favorite interior) with 10,500 miles on it. Asking 47,000

2010 Grand Sport 1LT Red with Cashmere interior has 3,569 miles on it. Asking 47,984. I like the fact that it is Auto(paddle shifters) and that it has the removeable top.

My dilemma is I do not want to buy one and wish I had the other! I keep going back and forth as to which I would prefer! The color, interior, and motor are very hard to look over in the Z06, but is that enough to pass up a very sharp 2010 GS? The GS is priced a little better according to KBB but neither is a "bad" deal.

Any suggestions appreciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
you can't go wrong with a z, but that's just my opinion.

#4 ·
If you are willing to mod the GS, you can get to the power level you desire. Realistically, you're not going cut open the roof on a Z or swap in an A6. Not being able to remove the roof was a deal breaker for me.

If you were taking the Z to a road course, you probably are not going to be happy with an A6 GS.

#6 ·
I agree. My initial thought is that $47k stood out as way too much.

#7 ·
Had been raining all day, stopped raining and decide to drive to a Christmas get together because most of my family had not seen the "Z". On the way back just cruising down the highway the car hydroplaned and spun into a guardrail and demolished the entire passenger side! Luckily the insurance company totaled it and paid me well over what I expected. :).....
Sorry to hear. I hydroplaned across 3 lanes last month in heavy rain; then after fishtailing left and right, all the while hydroplaning on an angle towards the guard rail on an elevated highway, I pulled out of it.

I always caution my friends who like to use the cruise control to never use it on wet highways. In my own case, I was not heeding my own advice. Fortunately, all traffic was behind me and no one was in the other lanes. Somehow, I pulled out of what would have otherwise been disaster.

Anyway, glad to hear you're safe and shopping for a replacement.

#8 ·
Sorry, the asking price on the Z is 45,000! It is 1500 over private party value on KBB. I would deffinately offer like 42,500...With only 10,500 miles I really feel like it was really well taken care of! The color and interior combo is very hard to find! I have only seen one more for sale within 350 miles of where I live! After pondering this decision I feel like if I do not buy the Z I will regret it! Maybe if I had never owned a Z it would be a little easier to choose the GS, but after driving the "BEAST" I jus don't see myself settling for anything less! It is just very hard to pass up the 2010!

If I can't get the Z for under 43 I will consider the GS a little more or just wait until I can find a blue Z with the 2 tone interior!

Thanks everyone for their input! And if anyone knows anone selling a Le Mans Blue Z, prefferably with the two tone int. please let me know!

#9 ·
Sorry to hear!! :(

#10 ·
Once you have a Z, it's hard to go back.

#13 ·
go for the Z -
A 1LT GS is as basic and stripped as you'll find - plus I would never ever, ever, and I mean ever, own another A6 corvette again!
I thought it was the holy grail for DD people like me - how wrong I was!
Plus the A6 GS doesn't have the dry sump system and additional coolers.
2LZ Z06 or 3LT GS w/6-speed....gotta have my heads-up display...:thumbsup3:

#16 ·
Do you need a removable top, if so, go with the GS, if not, go with the Z.

For me, not being able to drop the top is what stopped me from getting a Z. Now that I have a vert, I'll be adding a Z to the garage soon.

#17 ·
How come ?

I surely would like to know why your car hydroplaned on the road.Were your tires OK? Speeding? It makes me worry that just driving along the road and I could spin out for no apparent reason, especially in Washinton State where it rains forever. Thanks

#19 ·
I surely would like to know why your car hydroplaned on the road.Were your tires OK? Speeding? It makes me worry that just driving along the road and I could spin out for no apparent reason, especially in Washinton State where it rains forever. Thanks
When I had my stock GY runcraps, I had several close calls on the 405 and the 5 frwys on more occasions than I care to remember. New INVO's...not a problem anymore!!!
(Especially the 405 near Coal Creek where it puddles real badly)

#18 ·
Had stock Gys that I was just about ready to replace! Had Kumho Exstas and Nitto Invos in my ebay watch list and was getting advice before I made my decision. Guess I dont need that answer anymore! Wasn't speeding, going about 50-55 in a 55mph zone. It just didnt take much to turn the car with the combination of worn tires and wet road! I would deffinately upgrade to the Invos if you plan on driving your vette in the rain. Everything ive heard is that they have the best wet traction in a performance tire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.