Chevy Corvette Forum banner

Differential Fluid

7K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Murph 
#1 ·
I've been trying to find the right fluid to use. I have an '08 Z51, and I have the clunking sound when making slow sharp turns. I know GM had problems, and changed the fluid spec. I looked online and found GM Dexron LS. Is this the right stuff? Help anyone? Thanks

#4 ·
I'd check with the dealer. I thought there was a TSB on it.

Fish, does that P/N have the modifier in it?

#10 ·
Differential oil - service bulletin

See a dealer. Ask them to look up Service Bulletin #07-04-20-002B Document ID 2444918. This bulletin deals with this specific problem, and the fix is easy. It says the friction modifiers the factory used in '06 '07 and '08 cars was not correct. I bought an '06 C6 that spent its life in a garage, and there was some breakdown from sitting.

Saw this bulletin, changed the oil to DEXRON LS, problem disappeared.

Good luck, read the bulletin, it will all make sense.

#12 ·
Follow up

Follow up....results successful.

GM Service performed
1) Complied with TSB 07-04-20-002B replacing differential fluid. Clutch chatter is gone. However, service bulletin states if clutch chatter continues to replace clutch plates.
2) Complied with TSB 07-04-95-001A re-torqued wheel drive shaft nut. Mine were not loose, so nut replacement was not performed. (See Roy Zink)

#13 ·
07/A6 Trans clunk

After reading this Tread, I took my rebought 07/A6 back to the dealer for a clunking in the rear when shifting from forward to reverse. They replaced the Diff. fluid with new GM fluid , but I am still hearing things I don't like. could it be the rear end bolts ? Is there a service bulletin on the axle bolts ? If so let me know. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.