Chevy Corvette Forum banner

Possible Cam change?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  NJWolverine87 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

My name is Nick, This is my first post to this forum, i hope many of you can help me and just express your opinions on your previous lessons learned. Thank you for your time and I hope to heard from all of you soon! :woowoo:

Ok so my setup on my 90' is as listed below:

-Adj. Fuel Pressure
-K&N Filter w/ open air box
-Ported Plenum(Stock runners and Base)
-Stock Throttle Body
-Coolant Throttle Body bypass
-HyperTech Airfoil
-160 degree Thermostat
-ACCEL 22lb Injectors
-Advance timing
-Re-built 700R4 (w/ Trans-Go shift kit)
-Stock TQ converter
-March lightweight T-6061 underdrive pulley
-Heddman 1 5/8 long tubes with stock collector
-MagnaFlow exhaust
-Plexiglass targa top(saved me some weight)
-3.07 rear(G92)
-1.5 Harland Sharp RR 3/8 studs
-AcDelco Platinum Plugs, Wires, Distributor
-Delete my A/C and Smog pump(saved me more weight)
-Sumitomo 275's all around

I gave CompCams a call last week to "maybe" look into a cam that I would want my T.P.I to be suitable for.

Spoke to a nice guy named Gab Ray, I gave him my last Crank compression test specs(150) my setup and what I'm looking for. He recommended me the 08-501-8 cam for lower the lower RPM range.

I'm looking for that low-end grunt torque, street light-to-street light fun, which T.P.I does very well with.

My question is;
Does anybody have this cam?
How did you like it compared to the stock one?

Is this cam with my setup going to give ME the performance im looking for on the street? Or will my stock cam perform better and invest in something else? Is this cam Computer friendly? (I asked this guy the same questions and he said he honestly wouldn't know first hand, do some research)..so here I am :doh:

I'm sure your probably scratching your heads wondering why I haven't ported my runners and base. Ive been kinda skeptic about that, wider base and runners will help up in the top RPM range but I feel like id be sacraficing my lower RPM's. As for the 1.6 RR I had my own expierence, I installed them once and found them problo-matic, requires alot of attention to be checked for lift and that infamous ticking.

If I can stay away from the cam I'd be looking into ATI's few hundred over stock stall or possibly a new set of tires :thumbsup:

Thanks for your help!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Is this cam with my setup going to give ME the performance im looking for on the street?
Cam quoted is fine but most would say little to be gained in a cam swap while you still have stock heads and intake.
The TPI intake itself is the biggest perf restriction after you have installed long tubes and a free flow exhaust

Is this cam Computer friendly?
Yes .The LSA is 112
( LSA of 112 or higher recommended for EFI )

I'm looking for that low-end grunt torque, street light-to-street light fun, which T.P.I does very well with.
Very hard to loose bottom end torque with a long tube runner intake like the TPI unless you install a cam designed for a completely
different rev range
Even the completely different aftermarket Super Ram TPI replacement intake has a motza of bottom end because it is still a relatively long runner setup

. Ive been kinda skeptic about that, wider base and runners will help up in the top RPM range but I feel like id be sacrificing my lower RPM's.
Won't happen.
Aftermarket base and big tubes will only get you there faster ; engine "may" pull 500 rpm more but peak power will still be in same place.
My fully ported , big tube TPI setup in my '89 felt good SOTP to 5400 but got best times to the track
shifting at 4800, about 100 rpm more than my best times with the stock intake

Also the 160 stat is doing you no favors , just means your engine takes longer to warm up.
Unless your computer has been reprogrammed the fan will still turn on at the 228F stock setting

#3 ·
"Cam quoted is fine but most would say little to be gained in a cam swap while you still have stock heads and intake.
The TPI intake itself is the biggest perf restriction after you have installed long tubes and a free flow exhaust"

So this cam would'nt be much better use unless I open the chambers in the heads?

"Aftermarket base and big tubes will only get you there faster ; engine "may" pull 500 rpm more but peak power will still be in same place."

So what would the hp/trq difference be?
like 2+hp/2+trq?

Thanks for the PM by the way, I have been doing most of my research by 65Z01 off of that forum, there just seems to be to much drama on that site "To many Indians Not enough chiefs" this guy named Jim Kovitch, he has been helpful. But thank you again! VetteOz!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.