Chevy Corvette Forum banner

How to put C6 wheels on a C4, pictures included

24K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  69lover 
#1 · (Edited)
Recently I purchased a 1987 C4, two days later I picked up a set of 2006 wheels with 4000 miles on them. The front wheels have 245/40/18 tires on them that are 25" tall, the same hight as the stock tires, the rears have 285/35/19's that are 26" tall so the ride hight is almost unchanged.

Here are a couple shots taken before the swap of the stock wheels front and back.

This is the front with the new wheels and no spacers, as you can see they really need to be spaced out 1" so another set of spacers is on the way but they do fit without them.

To get these rears to fit I used 1" spacers and they are still about 1/4" in farther than the stock wheels but fit good. The rears will not fit without spacers because the tires hit the exhaust, rubber bump stop and the trailing arms.

A picture of the installed spacer before I cleaned up the rotors and repainted them.

And finally a side shot in the driveway just before dusk with my iPhone camera.

See less See more
#2 ·
donk lite

#3 ·
So after testing this setup for a week now I discovered that the right rear rubbed a little on hard cornering on the inside because the tire is close to 1/2" more tucked in than the left side.

I ordered some 1 1/2" billet spacers for the rear and put the 1" spacers on the front and now the look of the front is about right and there is no more rubbing. I actually could run a 1" spacer on the left rear wheel and both would be spaced the same from the fender lip.

Is this normal for Corvettes to be off by 1/4" to 1/2" side to side? I know this forum is pretty dead since my post is still at the top but maybe you could answer vettex. I have had other Chevy cars that were off as much in the past so maybe this is normal but the spacing is critical when you try to stuff an 11 1/2" wide tire in a C4.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.