Chevy Corvette Forum banner

one noisy C5

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Bucwheat 
#1 ·
I am going nuts trying to figure out the source of a rattling sound in my hatch area.... I have been under the car 3 times and I have taken out the hatch interior and I still can't isolate the sound. It occurs when I hit a bump, small or large, there are bumps everywhere in this town. It sounds like the source should be really obvious. I have adjusted the hatch bumpers several times, I removed the hatch locks and zip tied down the hatch and the sound still occurs. I have zip tied down several possible issues, no help. I recorded the audio, had to covert to video so I could post on photo bucket. While recording the audio I was going 25-35 mph through town. Tell me what you think it is....

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v669/krtw/?action=view&current=MVI_0285.mp4

#5 · (Edited)
Me too, at least it is one of the many things I have looked at. It wasn't loose but I removed it and added some rubber mat to the frame piece, that did not help. The rattle sounds like whatever it is is really loose, frustrating part is that I have not found anything even slightly loose. I tried driving around an empty parking lot while looking toward the hatch area and the noise seems to come from every direction, probably bouncing off the glass. I'll see if my dad can drive it while I am searching....I trust him.

#7 ·
I fixed it.... I can't believe it, what a relief !!!! :woowoo:

I think it was the rear sway bar, I noticed a small gap between the mounts and the frame (hard to see this) so I tightened up the nuts....they were not tight but not exactly loose either. The gap is gone after tightening the nuts. I had also removed the inner wheel wells, just searching for the issue....but did not really find anything there. I just drove all over the place and hit every bump I could find, this car has NEVER been so quiet before. Now all I hear is the normal thud sound when you hit a bump.....I LOVE THAT SOUND. :woowoo:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.