Chevy Corvette Forum banner

Dang it!!!

4K views 30 replies 6 participants last post by  fatguyzinc 
#1 ·
my ignition switch went out ( i think ). gotta drop column, i got fat fingers so no way i can squeeze em up in there.... oh well at least it crapped out in my parking stall instead of miles from nowhere...

#12 ·
ok, i have now had the steering column out 5 times, tried 3 different ignition switches, changed the neutral safety just because, dropped the starter 2x to check fusible links, replaced every fuse in the car, traced miles of wire, re-grounded every ground, and STILL nothing--no start. no click. no nothing.

anyone know if it would be safe to just bypass it all and hardwire the neutral safety switch to 12V power? that way i can run a button on the starter but it wont crank unless its in P or N ( required by our yearly safety check. )...i am at a total loss here--ready to call my insurance agent and report a mysterious fire...

whats that, mr. insurance guy? when did it happen? um...5 minutes after we hang up on this call.............:doh:

#13 ·
Are you absolutely sure your battery isn't discharged? Does your headlights burn nice and bright? Will it crank if you short the top solenoid post to the "S" terminal? And is it possible you have the two small wires at the solenoid crossed?

What was the very last thing you did to your car before this problem started?

#14 ·
headlights bright. short across terminals and car starts. last thing i did was drive it, parked at 10pm and next morning no start. just cant get power to neutral safety from ignition switch, and cant find out where/why. never touched solenoid or anything, car was fine, parked it and next day no start / hasnt started since. ( unless you bridge terminals on starter. )

key in "run" all gauges work. turn to start and NOTHING not even a click. testlight confirms no power at neutral safety when in crank. this has become a total goatf@rk ! :hump::sheep:

#15 · (Edited)
8 days of tracing wires, and i finally gave up and just bypassed it. 12v key-on power to a universal starter button, then through neutral safety switch, then on to the solenoid. if theres no key, no crank. shifter not in P or N, no crank. key on, shifter in P or N, starts like a champ. kinda ghetto, but it works...i strongly suspect my rack (behind keyset) is cracked and just cant pull that last millimeter i need for car to start normally...oh well "F" it, at least shes running again:Banane08::Banane08:

#17 ·
well, my mother sure got it right when she named me solomon--"sol" for short. we all know that stands for " sh#t outta luck", or perhaps "same old loser" or something equally terrible. heck if it wasnt for bad luck it seems i wouldnt have any luck at all !!! oh well, fall down 100 times / get up 101 times, right?:hump:

#18 ·
great--went for safety and BOMBED it--car had no blinkers no reverse and no tail or stop lights. everything WAS working the night before...key suddenly VERY hard to turn front/back, maybe rack broke and pieces jamming in there possibly messing up blinker switch. unreal. just unfreakinreal.

#21 ·
you know why she wore pigtails ?
handles

#23 ·
well, looks like im in for a column swap/entire car rewire, fusebox and all. unreal. hating life like you wouldnt believe right now--why couldnt this happen AFTER i got safety check? now i gotta scramble to finish a bumper to bumper rewire in 28 days. good times !!!:hump:

#25 ·
column swap done, still no blinkys/no reverse lights--thinking of ghetto rigging a few toggles for now, just to pass safety check ( current one expires in less than 20 days..) as its easier to keep one then get a new one once existing safety expires. either way, this blows, hating life with a passion right now....

#26 ·
O.M.F.G..... my older boy somehow got the blinkers and reverse lights working in about 10 seconds--when i asked him " holy shiznit, what did you do"? his reply was that he just grabbed a random handfull of wires under the dash and gave it a few yanks.....thats kinda scary. see, THIS is why i need to do a bumper to bumper rewire with a new fusebox.....

#29 · (Edited)
*maniacal laughter* AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA, IT PASSED SAFETY CHECK !!!!! im good for another year ! thank you haysoos, what a P.I.T.A. it was.

now, since im not pressed to finish in 18 days anymore---about that bumper to bumper rewire...this is gonna be a fun one--since none of my stock gauges work anyway, i bought a 21 circuit universal ( means its supposed to be able to fit all but in reality means it doesnt fit ANYTHING...) fuse block and harness from "EZ wiring", was $185.00 i think plus tax and shipping.

comes with gm style ignition and blinker harness, gm style color coded wires and all wires are printed every 6 inches with the name of the circuit they are supposed to supply.

bummer is i gotta drop that column yet AGAIN ( i got it down to less than 15 minutes now since i did it so many fricken times ! ) and pull the dash to get at the wiper/headlight switches and drop the starter out again...lame.

not looking forward to doing this, but it is what it is--aint gonna fix itself or go away. but for now, its legal and everything is working so im off to the burgerking car cruise tonight--im normally the only C3 there, and one of 2 cars that are big block powered. ( the other is my friend psychobobby with his 62 vette, 427+.100=440 with 2 dominators on a sheetmetal shorty intake and a .700+ lift solid roller, doug nash 5 spd, and 3.91 posi 8.75 mopar rear....and with the rev limiter chipped at 8250 using a stock gm block and crank. hence his nickname.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.