Chevy Corvette Forum banner

welding a fiberglass car???

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  VetteAholic 
#1 ·
i recently got a 79 vett and when i got it i discovered under the ragged carpet there was a ant nest after i ended up welding holes in the floor and the pillers and around the window was rotted beyond belief. I had to take off the doors and weld the inner structure and door jams. has anyone els had this problem?

#2 ·
Hello,
I also have had problems with the windshield support on my '78. They call it a "bird cage", it is a metal frame which goes around the front windshield through the rocker panels and helps hold the fiberglass panels together. They offer replacement pieces for each section at most of the corvette parts like Ecklers and Corvette Central. 78 Shark

#4 ·
man im blessed i have a ny car and have none of these mproblems bad paint yes no brakes yes but body solid floors solid kept in a garge last 16 yrs

#5 ·
Back when I had my 74' there was alot of rust on the birdcage and surrounding areas, also the door panels...Must of taken out 5 lbs of rust..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.