Chevy Corvette Forum banner

Almost seening the light

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  pscott 
#1 ·
It been a war getting all the bugs worked out of my so called buget build LOL.

Now I think I have a Bad EGR valve the car was running great but all a sudden it started running very poorly and some times just die.

I became hard to start idel ruf or just die.

Lack of bottem end power I think the EGR go bad and it not that old 1000 miles on it.

And the MPG are not that great.

I checked for vacume leaks so far cant find any retighen all intake bolts everything is tight.
Rechecked the timming still good.

Any other ideas before I pull the Plenum off to change the EGR valve.

#2 ·
It might not be the EGR after all.

One of the members from anouther Fourms told me unplug the EST and see if runs better It did then he told me to redo the timming so far it running better.

#8 ·
Before you go throwing parts at it take the time to check a few things first. Check all of your spark plug wires one-at-a-time with an ohmmeter. They should all read around 25,000 ohms and any zero readings would indicate a damaged carbon core in it. Then verify your ignition timing with the EST wire disconnected. EGR valves seldom stick open so I really doubt yours is. Then connect a pressure gauge to your fuel rail and tape the gauge to your windshield with duct tape. The fuel pressure should be within specifications at all speed ranges and throttle openings.

#9 ·
before you go throwing parts at it take the time to check a few things first. Check all of your spark plug wires one-at-a-time with an ohmmeter. They should all read around 25,000 ohms and any zero readings would indicate a damaged carbon core in it. Then verify your ignition timing with the est wire disconnected. Egr valves seldom stick open so i really doubt yours is. Then connect a pressure gauge to your fuel rail and tape the gauge to your windshield with duct tape. The fuel pressure should be within specifications at all speed ranges and throttle openings.
Amazing! Tbtr usually wants to replace everything, without trouble shooting, just because it is old! Somebody is going to replace him for the same reason.

If this is a new build up, besides the plug wiring, look for vacuum leaks.

Race on!!!
Jim

#11 ·
I was a vacum leak at the runner one at the 9th injector the TPS voltage I had to raise it to .70 runs great now.

I just put the headers on and have the pan off the trans to put the shift improver kit in.

I also have to run a new Front Y pipe from the headers to the Cat.

With any luck I be off jacks in 2 more weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.