Chevy Corvette Forum banner

The New 2013 Corvette 427 Convertible!

13K views 40 replies 16 participants last post by  FranksVette 
#1 ·
The New 2013 Corvette 427 Convertible can be seen on the Chevy website (or just copy and paste above into Google - sorry, not allowed to post links yet).

I may be biased, but this car is absolutely beautiful. Thoughts?
:drool5:

#36 ·
fatter than 335/25s ???

Okay, my 427 vert is sitting for hibernation with some fatass wheels and tires that offer no protection from curb rash. I love putting extra rubber on my cars and cannot find anything fatter than the rear 335s that are not way too tall. Anybody know of something like maybe a 355/25 or 30?

#37 ·
I've seen vettes running 335s and 345s. You need to look at the section width as not all 335s are the same width. When I shopped for tires, some brands of 325s were more than .5" wider than other brands. The NT05 is a 335 and popular with the Z06 crowd as it is fairly sticky and has less of a pucker factor in the rain than a drag radial. You can it look up and see how it compares to the factory tire.

Go to tire rack, discount tire direct, or tire crawler and search by size. I know there are couple more out there that are wide and will fit. If you find a 355, make sure your rims are wide enough. IIRC, Factory rims are for 325s. 355 can be a lot bigger tire and may not be recommended for the stock rims.

#38 ·
nothing available

I HAVE tried TireRack, etc. and they know of nothing. Somehow, you suggesting I might need wider rims is totally missing the point of getting wider tires. The 335s are STANDARD! I could go a lot wider using these rims but no tires are available. I bet the 345s you saw were not 20s.

#39 ·
325 GYs were standard on the Z06's 19x12 rim. If you have the optional 335 Michelins, you are already up one size. That's assuming you don't have the bigger 20" rims.

345s may not have been 20, but 25s as you suggest. If it doesn't mess up the traction control (assuming you match the front tires for similar protection), it's not a big deal as your speedo would be off only 2%.

Putting a 355 tire on a rim designed for a 325 is missing the point too. You're compromising safety and performance to compensate for driver skill. Use your side mirrors aimed down so that you see the curb before you hit it. Aim them and set that as Memory 2 and use it when you park. Curb feelers or some aftermarket parking assist system may be a better solution than tires. Alternatively, sell the stock rims & tires and move to a tire rim combo that works for you. Brand new those rims and runflats are expensive. you can get nice aftermarket rims and higher performing non-runflat tires for not much net cash cost.

#40 · (Edited)
duh?

Please. Let's back up a bit. My new 427 has 335/25 x 20s standard. Not 19s. Not 325s and I dont care about opinions here on using wider tires than standard because I have tried it often and it works well for my needs and desires. I had a 2011 van and put bigger tires on it and it gave a better ride and was easier to get in and out of and the speedo correction is not a problem. If anything, it stretchs out your warranty. I went two sizes bigger on the front and four sizes bigger on the rear and used stock wheels with no issues. My new 2012 Charger came with 215/65 x 17s and I put 235/70 x 17s on front sand 255/65 x 17s on back - all BLIZZAKS and they work quite well, so here I go again. No opinions, please... Does anyone know of a 355/25 x 20 or maybe a 355/30 or 365? .... Hell, I remember having a pickup and putting 245s on front and 345s on back using stock wheels. They had to actually use gasoline and blow the 345s on and that was fun to watch. Bottom line is wider tires give protection from curb rash and taller tires give a better ride and some curb protection (especially in front) and they both look better. So --- does anyone have actual information to offer on wider 20s?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.