Chevy Corvette Forum banner

Real Big Improvement

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  fatguyzinc 
#1 ·
Now that I have put several thousand miles on my new Competition Cams Magnum camshaft I have started giving it full throttles in the lower gears. It makes so much more power it'll spin the tires when it makes the shift into 3rd gear at 60 mph. Because of low 6" Hg vacuum at idle I had to use a different vacuum advance to provide a few degrees more advance so it could idle at 600 rpm in drive. And of course it sounds fantastic..................

#2 · (Edited)
nice...i LOVE my short duration/high lift/short centerline cams, i ran the isky 292/.595/108 mega cam this time ( similar to my usual picks ) and am VERY happy with it.

at 750rpm in gear its got a super rumpity-rump idle,the car shakes so much you cant see out the rearview mirrors--perfect! and 900rpm in P or N sounds like a prostocker, that short 108 LC really makes it gnarly. and the power is absolutely explosive from about 2400-6000+rpm ( i run a 2600 stall and 3.73's, so when you mash it, its on like kingkong! ).

and it still manages to knock down 13.5mpg at a steady 50mph, thats roughly 2600rpm...considering what it is ( 461 cubes, dinosaur 3 spd auto trans, 3.73 gears,etc ) thats actually way better than i expected, i was thinking 9-11mpg at best.

man, i sure want to put that 2x4 intake and the 3" exhaust on, im sure it will get even gnarlier but it just isnt in the funds right now, and might not be for awhile--my older boy is starting college at HCC and just his first semester tuition was over $1600.....oh well, worth every penny.

#6 ·
no dragstrip on oahu anymore, campbell raceway closed a few years back....feels stronger than my old 66 gto, the swapped in 455 pontiac went 11.97@118....i got a 1/4 mile thingy on the new digital GPS speedo, but havent found somewhere i can try it out yet--without getting arrested in the process. but i did do the 0-60 blast, it was 3.4 seconds. slow roll on to avoid wheelspin.:woowoo:

#13 ·
we did that too.. theres an old Naval Air station here, long straight roads in and out.. measured the 1320 exactly, spray painted orange stripes across road........ got busted there for Reckless Operation by Drag Racing when I was 18 , in my buddies 65 GTO... he could not power shift so I drove for him, raced a 454 SS Chevelle.. beat him twice, $100 each time, he wanted to go double or nothing for a third run, .. I knew we should have got out of there, but, went one more run.. State Trooper caught us midway of the 1/4 mile!! STRAIGHT TO JAIL!!!! towed our cars!! ha ha GOOD TIMES!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.