Chevy Corvette Forum banner

New Rubber

5K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  fishslayer143@yahoo.com 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys & Gals...!

Thought it was time to get away from the Eagle F1 'Run-Flats' so I picked-out the Eagle F1 GS-D3's; I liked the specs and tread design. Unfortunately, it turns out that Goodyear has stopped production of these tires...my luck. So, I went with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Tires. These tires are a new addition to the Michelin lineup of performance tires and was wondering if anyone else has purchased these tires; if so, what do you think? Here are the tire specs!

Ultra High Performance All-Season
245/45-17 (Front)
95Y Load Index 95 = 1521lbs (690kg) per tire
Speed Rating “Y” = 186mph (300kph)

275/40-18 (Rear)
99Y Load Index 99 = 1709lbs (775kg) per tire
Speed Rating “Y” = 186mph (300kph)

CUSTOMER SURVEY DATA (1-10)
Would Buy Again? Probably - 8.3
Hydroplaning Resistance 8.8
Wet Traction 8.8
Cornering Stability 8.7
Dry Traction 9.0
Steering Response 8.7
Light Snow Traction 7.6
Deep Snow Traction 6.8
Ice Traction 6.7
Ride Comfort 8.8
Noise Comfort 8.2
Treadwear 8.6

TIRE SPECS 17" 18"
UTQG Data A500 AA A A500 AA A
Max Load 1521 lbs. 1709 lbs.
Max Inflation Pressure 51 psi 51 psi
Tread Depth 10/32" 10/32"
Tire Weight 27 lbs. 30 lbs.
Rim Width Range 7.5-9" 9-11"
Meas. Rim Width 8" 9.5"
Section Width 9.6" 10.9"
Tread Width N/A N/A
Overall Diameter 25.7" 26.7"
Revs Per Mile 810 780
Country of Origin US US
Low Rolling Resistance N/A N/A

Price 17" $172.00 18"$223.00

See less See more
#7 ·
The only thing I would question is, do you really want All-Season tires or just summer tires?
It just seems to me that the all-season tires wouldn't "stick" as well as a summer tire. Don't know, just speculation by looking at the tread design.

I was looking at the F1 GS D3's for the past few months, the number available kept getting lower and lower on Tire Rack's site, when they got down to 6 or 8 I ordered a set for front and rear, that was March 12th, the next day they took them off their site, could I have gotten one of the last sets?

These are so much smoother and multiples QUIETER than the original run-flats. Haven't run them very hard on the twisties yet, but it seems like they're at least as good and probably better than the originals too.

Rich

#9 ·
GS D3's are damn good rubber

#12 ·
what were the issues ?

I miss my GS D3"s

#13 ·
Michelin - Over Rated - Over Priced ! Years ago with my first Vette a 98/TR coupe , I was damned if I was going to put a foreign tire on my American Icon. I went to every tire dealer in Ma. to NH. One tire dealer owner told me that Goodyear sent people overseas to teach them how to make HP tires and offered me a set of Toyo T1RSs with the fact that if I did not like them he would buy them back in exchange for any tire I want. I took his offer. A couple days later I'm flying down Rt. 95 during a torrential rain storm hitting puddles that would rip the wheel right out of your hand. I was sold, and for half the price of a GY or Michelin. My second Vette a 01/Z06 used had a set of Michelin Sports on it but the rear tires were a little spent and I wanted a new set. Upon delivery they sent me down the street to a tire dealer for two rear tires at their cost. I saw the slip they were $500 a piece. With in a week I replaced them with a complete set of Toyo T1RS and sold the Michelins on CL with enough money left over to buy a Clam Plate. My current Vette a Black 07/A6 has Hancook Evos on it, couldn't be happier with them.

#16 ·
My current Vette a Black 07/A6 has Hancook Evos on it, couldn't be happier with them.
Me too. They are ok but not great

#18 ·
what else have you used?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.