Chevy Corvette Forum banner

Need help choosing 17" wheels and tires for my 73

8K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  73 L82 VETTE 
#1 ·
I will be buying 17" wheels for my 73 but I'm confused on back space, tire size and clearance.
I like the Bullet 338 rims but there are many sizes to choose from. If someone has put 17" Bullet or simular style wheels on a 73 and had no clearance or fit issues, I would love to pick your brain. Also what size tires and makes do you like. I do know moving the e-brake cable would be a given.
Thanks for your help!
Matt

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I bought a set of Foose 17" and wrapped them in goodyears. I did have to move the ebrake bracket. I am running some wide tires but do not have probs with them hitting. See pics...
I wanted something kinda busy, and i think it compliments the rest of the chrome on the car.

#4 ·
I like the torque thrust as well. Just in case, I am having the cable moved. I love the look of that wheel. So with the standard offset, I won't have any rubbing issues with the front tires going with 8" wide? Excuse my ignorance but what is the difference between backspace and offset. Also, what tires did you get.
Thanks for the info, it is very helpful.
Mat

#6 ·
Backspace is measurement from wheel hub to back of the wheel. Off set is the measurement of the wheel mounting surface relative to the center of the wheel. I am running a 235/50 tire. Could easily put a 245 on there but I got a great deal on these tires

#11 ·
I'm not sure, any suggestions. I'm open...Something that rides nice, has the right sidewall look and thread design. As like most owners, only driven in the summer about 2000 miles pr. year. I don't drive like a madman on a slalom course so I don't have to worry about making a corner at 75 mph so I guess you get the picture. LOL
Thanks for the help!
Matt

#13 ·
:noidea:Do you think I would have any problems with 255/45/18 in the rear and 245/45/18 in the front. I found Boss 338 that I like and someone recomended Toyo Proxes 4 plus tires. What do you think?
Sounds fine on a 8" wide wheel

#14 ·
Thanks All.....

:Banane08:I will finally place the order on monday for Nitto Nt555 tires 255/45/18 in the rear and 225/45/18 on the front. Chrome Boss 338 wheels. Speak now or forever hold your peace. LOL Hope its the right call. Now I can't wait....Thanks for all your help with this, it was important that I had such great members give me feedback to help with my decision.
Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.