Chevy Corvette Forum banner

Big block vs small block drive

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  fishslayer143@yahoo.com 
#1 ·
OK, here it goes. I want to get feedback from guy/gals who have experience driving small blocks AND big block corvettes, preferably 1967’s. How does each handle the curves, stop and go, hot weather, long drives, short drives, everyday stuff. I want to buy this car and drive it. I have been in the market for a long time and have pretty much decided on a small block because 1. Paying 100% (or more) for a big block which is heavier and thus causes the car to handle poorly is a negative. 2. I want it reliable and driveable, no overheating and little to no issues otherwise. If I was to consider a big block is the 390 Hp engine more reliable and less finiky than the tri-power plants? I’ll probably buy something that is mostly original or close to stock as I’m not interested in restomods. Unfortunately, I have never driven either one of these cars and would like to get OBJECTIVE feedback. When I purchased my second Porsche (911 twin turbo) I went on what others wrote on forums as my dealer did not have one for me to drive. I can tell you it is a great car to drive on the street but a POS on the track. Bottom line, if you are the kind of person who loves to drive, and has driven theses cars please give me your input. And thanks.

#2 ·
my .02
old vettes don't track well
they make better blvd. cruisers
FLAME SUIT ON :stirthepot::spank::fight::thud:

#3 ·
C2 Mid sixties Corvettes are beautiful cars.. BUT, Do not expect it to handle like a newer C6 or even a C5 .. It wont.. It can be made to ,[well, close anyway] A small block is certainly less prone to overheating , especially where you live. But big blocks are Torque monsters and more fun to drive. Pass on an Auto /trans , its a 2 spd Powerglide and very disappointing to drive. Be prepared to put down serious cash for either. Mid -Sixties cars are VALUABLE and in demand ..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.