Chevy Corvette Forum banner

Need bell housing help

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  fishslayer143@yahoo.com 
#1 ·
I have a 66 bb vette fully restored about 4 years ago and it now has about 1000 miles on it. Recently when I depressed the clutch I got a terrible noise like a bad throw out bearing. No sound at all when the clutch is engaged. I pulled the trans yesterday and the bearing seems good. Ever since the build the clutch has been extremely hard to depress. I started looking at what components were in the drive train and found that the bell housing is a 3704922 11" for a 55/56 chevy. I know it should be carring a 444 / 621 or a 464697 but would the 922 be causing my problems? Will a 922 work in this application?
Thanks

#3 ·
also check to see if it is SQUARE to the block

#5 ·
good one
I always used locktite on that until we went to hydraulic throw-out bearings

#7 ·
I am going to replace the fork the cross shaft and the throw out bearing just to make sure I know what is in there. The trans pilot shaft looked dry on the bushing end when I took it out, I will regrease it. The pivot ball was loose when I took it out but I did not notice how far it had backed out . I will reinstall with loctite. I hope this corrects the problems.
Thanks for the replies.
Skunk

#8 ·
OK: switched out everything from the pedal rod to the pilot bearing and now it is like it should be. The only thing I found was the pivot ball had backed out some and the fork had a broken throw out bearing retainer finger ( the thin sheet metal one). Everything else looked fine. I replaced the clutch pressure plate and throw out bearing and pilot bearing as well. I hope it all holds up.
While I was at it I replaced the 4.88 diff gears with a set of 3.08's and it is so much better. No more high winding and jerky shifts. Maybe this 427 will hold together.
Skunk22

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.