Chevy Corvette Forum banner

C5/C6 Chassis Build for my C2 Resto Mod About to begin!!!

40K views 48 replies 5 participants last post by  fishslayer143@yahoo.com 
#1 ·
I just received word that my chassis build will begin in July 2012 so I am getting excited and anxious as well. I continue to slowly take the 1964 Roadster apart so that I can lift the body off the old frame and get it soda blasted before the new frame from Street Shop arrives.
In the meantime, here are the specifications for the C5/C6 chassis I am having built by Street Shop (I plan to post pictures of the chassis build as soon as I get some photographs from the shop):

Street Shop C6 Based Chassis for 63-67 Corvette, Powder coated Semi-Gloss Black C6 C2 Chassis

• M50 Series Dana Rear, 3.55:1 Ratio
  • Billet Web for M50 Series Rear using C5/6 Suspension
  • 1997-2004 Corvette Rear Suspension Cradle, Used, Modified for Street Shop C5/6 Chassis
  • 80-93 Mustang Rack & Pinion Steering, Power Assisted
  • Outer Tie Rod End, Moog
  • Custom 1" Front Sway Bar Kit for Street Shop C5/6 based Chassis
  • Street Shop Custom 7/8" rear Sway bar kit for C5/6 Based Chassis
  • Custom Rear Axle Shafts for Street Shop
  • C5/6 based Chassis Using M50 Differential, 14.5 bar
  • Complete Custom Brake Line Kit
  • 1963-1982 Corvette with Street Shop Chassis - Kit includes (6) Prebent SS Lines, (4) StopFlex SS Hoses with washers and Horse Shoe Clips, (1) Disc-Disc Prop. Valve and (2) Brake Tees
  • LS Return-Style Fuel Filter
  • C2/C3 3/8" Stainless Steel Fuel Line for Single line EFI LS Engine Applications
  • 5/16" Fuel Injection Return Hose, Female 5/16" GM Push-Lock One end only, 60"
  • 3/8" Fuel Injection Feed Line, #6 Female and Female GM Push-Lock
  • 3/8" Fuel Injection Feed Hose, 45 deg. #6 Female and Female GM Push-lock Ends
  • Fuel Line Kit for Single Feed LS EFI systems, Includes 3/8" SS Fuel line, Return
  • Style Filter, Flexible Hoses from Fuel Rail to Chassis and Filter to Tank using GM-Style Push-lok fittings
  • Hyerco Coil-Over Spring, 8" x 2.5" ID x 400lb Rate
  • Coil-Over T bar Lower Mount Kit, 3/4" x 3.5" 2 18.90 37.80T
  • QA1 VS Single Adjustable Coil-Over Shock, 3/4" Poly Ends
  • QA1 Front Coil-Over Shock Kit
  • QA1 Rear Coil-Over
  • HyperCo Spring, 2.5"ID x 7", 500# rate
  • QA1 VS Single Adjustable Coil-Over Shock, 3/4" Poly Ends
  • Billet Lower Coil Over Mount; Use with Street Shop C5 and C6 based Chassis
  • QA1 Rear Coil-Over Shock Kit
  • C5/6 Right Front/Left Rear Spindle, New
  • C5/6 Left Front/Right Rear Spindle, New
  • C6 Front Upper Control Arm, New GM
  • C6 Upper Front Control Arm, New GM
  • C6 Lower Front Control Arm, RH, New GM
  • C6 Upper Rear Control Arm, LH, New GM
  • C6 Upper Rear Control Arm, RH, New GM
  • C6 Lower Front Control Arm, LH, New GM
  • C5 Rear Toe Link, New GM
  • Outer Tie Rod End Kit, New GM
  • C6 Lower Rear Control Arm, New GM
  • C6 Lower Rear Control Arm, RH, New GM
  • 97-07 Corvette Front Wheel Hub Assembly w/ Sensor, USA
  • 97-07 Corvette Rear Hub Bearing Assembly w/ Sensor Ring, USA
  • C5/6 Parking Brake Kit, New GM
  • OEM Caliper Mount, Complete Set, C5
  • Semi-Metallic Brake Pads, Complete set
  • Rebuilt C6 Brake Calipers; complete set of four, Includes Core Charge, W/"CORVETTE", PC RED
  • 97-04 Corvette Cross Drilled Rotor, Bendix, LH front
  • 97-04 Corvette Cross Drilled Rotor, Bendix, RH front
  • 97-04 Corvette Cross Drilled Rotor, Bendix, LH Rear
  • 97-04 Corvette Cross Drilled Rotor, Bendix, RH Rear

Drive train

• LS3 Crate Engine, 436hp
  • GM10349964 LS Engine Stand, LH
  • GM10349965 LS Engine Stand, RH
  • Vertical Mount Engine Cushion Kit
  • LS Engine Accesories kit including Alternator, Power Steering, custom machined Waterpump and A/C
  • GM LS3 Engine Mgmt. System with pre-programmed ECU, Harness, 02 sensors, MAF sensor and accl. pedal
  • PowerMaster XS Torque Starter, LS
  • GM12600987 LS3 Engine Cover, LH
  • GM12600988 LS3 Engine Cover, RH
  • GM11589406 LS Engine Cover Stud
  • Bellhousing Shield
  • Power Steering Pump Line Kit
  • DeWitt's Custom Aluminum Radiator, HP
  • LS series combo with fan for 63-72 Corvette
  • 2 Wire 0-90 ohm Fuel Level Sending Unit, Adj., NOTE: 63-67 Corvette Gauges must be converted to Two wire to use this sending Unit.
  • 63-67 Stainless Steel Fuel tank w/ Pump installed
  • Universal Parking Brake Cable Kit w/Wilwood/Corvette Clevis
  • Street Shop Pro Fit Kit for 63-82 Corvette, Kit Includes: Custom Modified C3 Corvette TKO 600, ProShift3 Shifter Mechanism, OE spec Shifter Handle, Bolt-in C3 Style Cross Member bracket, Polyurethane Isolator, Seamless DOM Driveshaft, TKO Slip Yoke, Solid U-Joints, Corvette to TKO Full Length Speedometer cable, Calibrated Speedo gear,
  • HD Pilot Bearing, 5 speed name plate, Weatherseal Reverse Light Wiring, Grade 8 Hardware, Instructions/Warranty
  • 11" Titanium/Aluminum Bellhousing for LS
  • LS Clutch/Flywheel kit, New GM
  • Grade 8 Pressure Plate Bolt, set of 6
  • Billet Aluminum Bracket for mechanical clutch linkage for LS Engines in C2 Chassis
  • Clutch Linkage Kit for C2 chassis
  • 1963-67 corvette Level II Hydraulic brake Assist Sysytem w/ PS line set, 6 degree mount, Early/long GM MC Pushrod
  • Wilwood Tandem Master Cylinder, 1.13" bore, polished

See less See more
#31 ·
CAR P O R N !....lol

#32 ·
Today was a long day. My dad and I rented the U-haul car trailer and drove up to Mike Colletas to drop off the Corvette and removed the body from the old frame in preparation for the new Street Shop C6 chassis that will be delivered in the next couple or so weeks. I think it is a symbolic moment when the body is removed from the chassis.

I asked Mike to assess the old chassis as I will be selling it off. He stated it was in very good shape, very solid and original.

Here is the money shot....

Dan

#34 ·
1964 Corvette Roadster on Street Shop C6 Chassis - Project Update

After a brief appearance at the Carlisle 2012 show, the chassis has finally made its way from Street Shop to Florida where it will finally meet up with the body. Unfortunately, the chassis arrived with a bent rear toe bar – arghh.

Our first challenge was to cut out the rear floor to allow for the rear C6 suspension and Viper rear end. The rear wheels are 18" x 9.5 with a 56 offset that has proven to be some work to allow for the wheel to work with suspension travel as well as allowing the convertible top frame to lay flat. With the Street Shop C6 chassis, the company states you can fit 10.5 or even wider wheels (which is true), but this is not a plug and play scenario. With Coupes – no problem, you have plenty of room, with convertibles you have to be careful to allow for the convertible frame to fit as the 63-67 convertibles do have different wheel wells and limited room as it is shared with the convertible top bow. In the end, new wheel wells were formed to allow about 3” of total up and down movement.
Had I purchased 8.5 wheels versus 9.5, I would not have had this issue.

Next was a minor issue with the driveshaft setup provided by Street Shop Inc. As you can see from this underside picture, it rubs against the body (the body is completely centered onto the frame). A small pocket was created to accommodate the driveshaft.

This is how the body now fits on the Street Shop Inc chassis.

#35 ·
The body work continues on the 64 Convertible.

A nice touch is the POWERED hood lift now being fitted

Mike is also working on the gaps to insure the perfect fit and finish. In these pictures you can see the work being done to the front end in conjunction to the headlight buckets so that the fit and gapping is just right

Now that the rear wheel wells have been custom made to fit my wheels, allowing the folding convertible top to fit in place, the body is once again off the Street Shop Chassis to continue the body work

Starting from the bottom, Mike is smoothing out the underside of the wheel wells:

From my last conversation with Mike, the Corvette is nearing the point for the primer to be sprayed!!

#36 ·
was it a numbers matching car ?

#37 ·
The Roadster body is nearing completion. There are many hours of hard work to massage the fiberglass back to perfection. If all goes well, it will be in the paint booth within the next 7 to 10 days (doors and deck lid will be fitted to finish off) !!!!

In the meantime, I am working on the restoration of the interior dash items. I began with the glove box door restoration.
The chrome surround is in decent shape so I spent a couple of hours carefully masking the chrome, particularly around the edges. While not a hard task, it is a tedious one.

Here are a couple of pictures of the door masked with the old paint removed:

Now in Primer:

And finished with SEM Euro Trim (a satin black finish);

With the paint completed and the other parts back from black powder coating, it was time to re-assemble the glove box door with the new aluminum piece and emblem.

Tomorrow, the shift console will be masked in preparation for paint. And, if I have the chance, the chrome shop has finally finished my dash cluster so I may run up to pick it up first thing in the morning.

Dan
---------------------------------
www.vetterodder.com
www.facebook.com/vetterodder.com

#38 ·
Now that the rear floor has been completed, the interior cabin has been sprayed with Lizard Skin for both ceramic (heat reducing) and sound deadening using both products as allowed by the manufacturer. The underbody will receive the same treatment with exception of the wheel wells that will have a smooth black finish.

The chassis has just come back from the muffler shop. Thanks to fellow Corvette forum member PW2006 for sharing his ideas from his 63 Roadster RestoMod. The pipes on my 64 are 2.5” aluminized and custom bent to fit the Street Shop C6 chassis. My concern from the onset was getting the pipes over the rear end but as you will see from the pictures, the guys were able to achieve it. From the rear, Magnaflow stainless steel mufflers are used and will later be finished off with 2x2 Magnaflow stainless tips that will come out the center of the customized rear valence.

Here is a neat shot of the body off the chassis. The body will be painted within a week or so now that I have decided on the color – VICTORY RED (Corvette color).

#39 ·
While the body is finished at Mike Coletta’s shop, I continue to work on the trim items. The new shifter center panel arrived. I have masked the chrome trim and applied the primer and satin black paint.

The new Raingear windshield wiper motor was mounted inside the firewall as you can see from this picture:

And (drum roll please)…….
The painting begins! As you can see, the Victory Red is being applied to the underside of the hood and deck lid as well as the doors

#41 ·
As a crazy man, I decided to re-chrome my 1964 Dash Cluster. This was quite an ordeal and although I am happy now, the last month and a half dealing with the chrome shop was challenging. The following shows the restoration of the dash cluster and the installation of the custom AutoMeter gauges using the clever installation hardware developed by Joe Lutz at Hot Rod Dynamics (thanks Joe).

The bezels were pitted so I bead blasted the cluster to assess the overall condition. At this point I had decided for the chrome versus just painting the bezels. Unfortunately, the chrome shop went a bit overboard on the copper in an effort to fill in the pits. Working with the shop, I brought in the gauges to show how they would not even fit in the holes. The shop was willing to work with me and began to grind and shape this cluster back into shape.

This is what it looked like after the copper bath without the grinding/shaping:

After much work, here is what the cluster looks like after the chrome process:

Time to mask it up, prime and paint:

These are my custom AutoMeter Gauges for the 1964 RestoMod. I also had the clock modified to match the gauges:

Here you can see part of the Hot Rod Dynamics kit that allows the installation of the AutoMeter gauges. It consists of 3 stainless plates that are perfectly fabricated to fit the back of the dash cluster using existing mount locations. The kit comes with all the mounting hardware, spacers, and a complete set of instructions to make this install very straight forward:

Given the chrome build up, for my installation I needed to eliminate the use of the provided spacers in order to have the spacing allowing the instruments to properly screw into the brackets.

And here is the finished product:

#42 ·
Mike Coletta sent me a few pictures of the progress of the 64 Roadster and reminded me that it has been 2 months since I dropped off the body to him. Obviously, he has done a ton of work in a very short amount of time. It is all about the build now: Windows are in, wiring is in progress, and various items have already been installed, including the grill and bumpers. It looks like a Corvette again – just better!

Notice the Kenwood amplifier? To the left of it will be the Bazooka Subwoofer 6” and both will be hidden behind a custom made carpeted board for a clean look.

:rockon6rk:

#43 ·
I have been very busy with the day job and have not had much time to post any updates lately. Fortunately for me however, Mike continues with the final assembly of the 64 Roadster.
It appears that I will have the Corvette completed by Thanksgiving – which is really wonderful.
The weather in Florida is nice and cool so driving this baby is going to be oh so much fun!!! Here are a couple of shots of the interior. There is a lot of wiring in this Vette with the A/C, cruise control unit, ECM for the LS3, the push button start electronics, and stereo. It is tight behind the dash.

#46 ·
It was an anxious last couple of days to see whether or not the Roadster was coming home over the weekend. :ack:

Fortunately - the initial gremlins have been addressed and we were able to make the 200 mile journey with ZERO issues. :thumbs:

Here is a picture of my daughter and me in the Roadster preparing for the drive home:

and three hours later, here is the Roadster finally in my driveway!!
:woohoo:

The odometer has a bit over 400 miles on it now and we will spend the next few weeks getting acquainted and making adjustments as needed.

#47 ·
6 exhaust points ? huh ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.