Chevy Corvette Forum banner

C5/C6 Chassis Build for my C2 Resto Mod About to begin!!!

40K views 48 replies 5 participants last post by  fishslayer143@yahoo.com 
#1 ·
I just received word that my chassis build will begin in July 2012 so I am getting excited and anxious as well. I continue to slowly take the 1964 Roadster apart so that I can lift the body off the old frame and get it soda blasted before the new frame from Street Shop arrives.
In the meantime, here are the specifications for the C5/C6 chassis I am having built by Street Shop (I plan to post pictures of the chassis build as soon as I get some photographs from the shop):

Street Shop C6 Based Chassis for 63-67 Corvette, Powder coated Semi-Gloss Black C6 C2 Chassis

• M50 Series Dana Rear, 3.55:1 Ratio
  • Billet Web for M50 Series Rear using C5/6 Suspension
  • 1997-2004 Corvette Rear Suspension Cradle, Used, Modified for Street Shop C5/6 Chassis
  • 80-93 Mustang Rack & Pinion Steering, Power Assisted
  • Outer Tie Rod End, Moog
  • Custom 1" Front Sway Bar Kit for Street Shop C5/6 based Chassis
  • Street Shop Custom 7/8" rear Sway bar kit for C5/6 Based Chassis
  • Custom Rear Axle Shafts for Street Shop
  • C5/6 based Chassis Using M50 Differential, 14.5 bar
  • Complete Custom Brake Line Kit
  • 1963-1982 Corvette with Street Shop Chassis - Kit includes (6) Prebent SS Lines, (4) StopFlex SS Hoses with washers and Horse Shoe Clips, (1) Disc-Disc Prop. Valve and (2) Brake Tees
  • LS Return-Style Fuel Filter
  • C2/C3 3/8" Stainless Steel Fuel Line for Single line EFI LS Engine Applications
  • 5/16" Fuel Injection Return Hose, Female 5/16" GM Push-Lock One end only, 60"
  • 3/8" Fuel Injection Feed Line, #6 Female and Female GM Push-Lock
  • 3/8" Fuel Injection Feed Hose, 45 deg. #6 Female and Female GM Push-lock Ends
  • Fuel Line Kit for Single Feed LS EFI systems, Includes 3/8" SS Fuel line, Return
  • Style Filter, Flexible Hoses from Fuel Rail to Chassis and Filter to Tank using GM-Style Push-lok fittings
  • Hyerco Coil-Over Spring, 8" x 2.5" ID x 400lb Rate
  • Coil-Over T bar Lower Mount Kit, 3/4" x 3.5" 2 18.90 37.80T
  • QA1 VS Single Adjustable Coil-Over Shock, 3/4" Poly Ends
  • QA1 Front Coil-Over Shock Kit
  • QA1 Rear Coil-Over
  • HyperCo Spring, 2.5"ID x 7", 500# rate
  • QA1 VS Single Adjustable Coil-Over Shock, 3/4" Poly Ends
  • Billet Lower Coil Over Mount; Use with Street Shop C5 and C6 based Chassis
  • QA1 Rear Coil-Over Shock Kit
  • C5/6 Right Front/Left Rear Spindle, New
  • C5/6 Left Front/Right Rear Spindle, New
  • C6 Front Upper Control Arm, New GM
  • C6 Upper Front Control Arm, New GM
  • C6 Lower Front Control Arm, RH, New GM
  • C6 Upper Rear Control Arm, LH, New GM
  • C6 Upper Rear Control Arm, RH, New GM
  • C6 Lower Front Control Arm, LH, New GM
  • C5 Rear Toe Link, New GM
  • Outer Tie Rod End Kit, New GM
  • C6 Lower Rear Control Arm, New GM
  • C6 Lower Rear Control Arm, RH, New GM
  • 97-07 Corvette Front Wheel Hub Assembly w/ Sensor, USA
  • 97-07 Corvette Rear Hub Bearing Assembly w/ Sensor Ring, USA
  • C5/6 Parking Brake Kit, New GM
  • OEM Caliper Mount, Complete Set, C5
  • Semi-Metallic Brake Pads, Complete set
  • Rebuilt C6 Brake Calipers; complete set of four, Includes Core Charge, W/"CORVETTE", PC RED
  • 97-04 Corvette Cross Drilled Rotor, Bendix, LH front
  • 97-04 Corvette Cross Drilled Rotor, Bendix, RH front
  • 97-04 Corvette Cross Drilled Rotor, Bendix, LH Rear
  • 97-04 Corvette Cross Drilled Rotor, Bendix, RH Rear

Drive train

• LS3 Crate Engine, 436hp
  • GM10349964 LS Engine Stand, LH
  • GM10349965 LS Engine Stand, RH
  • Vertical Mount Engine Cushion Kit
  • LS Engine Accesories kit including Alternator, Power Steering, custom machined Waterpump and A/C
  • GM LS3 Engine Mgmt. System with pre-programmed ECU, Harness, 02 sensors, MAF sensor and accl. pedal
  • PowerMaster XS Torque Starter, LS
  • GM12600987 LS3 Engine Cover, LH
  • GM12600988 LS3 Engine Cover, RH
  • GM11589406 LS Engine Cover Stud
  • Bellhousing Shield
  • Power Steering Pump Line Kit
  • DeWitt's Custom Aluminum Radiator, HP
  • LS series combo with fan for 63-72 Corvette
  • 2 Wire 0-90 ohm Fuel Level Sending Unit, Adj., NOTE: 63-67 Corvette Gauges must be converted to Two wire to use this sending Unit.
  • 63-67 Stainless Steel Fuel tank w/ Pump installed
  • Universal Parking Brake Cable Kit w/Wilwood/Corvette Clevis
  • Street Shop Pro Fit Kit for 63-82 Corvette, Kit Includes: Custom Modified C3 Corvette TKO 600, ProShift3 Shifter Mechanism, OE spec Shifter Handle, Bolt-in C3 Style Cross Member bracket, Polyurethane Isolator, Seamless DOM Driveshaft, TKO Slip Yoke, Solid U-Joints, Corvette to TKO Full Length Speedometer cable, Calibrated Speedo gear,
  • HD Pilot Bearing, 5 speed name plate, Weatherseal Reverse Light Wiring, Grade 8 Hardware, Instructions/Warranty
  • 11" Titanium/Aluminum Bellhousing for LS
  • LS Clutch/Flywheel kit, New GM
  • Grade 8 Pressure Plate Bolt, set of 6
  • Billet Aluminum Bracket for mechanical clutch linkage for LS Engines in C2 Chassis
  • Clutch Linkage Kit for C2 chassis
  • 1963-67 corvette Level II Hydraulic brake Assist Sysytem w/ PS line set, 6 degree mount, Early/long GM MC Pushrod
  • Wilwood Tandem Master Cylinder, 1.13" bore, polished

See less See more
#3 ·
The C5/C6 chassis/frame I ordered from Street Shop for my 1964 Roadster has started construction and I will be following its assembly to completion (rolling chassis). As you can see from the pictures below, the frame rails have arrived.
When frame rails arrive they are put in a bin to allow the excess oil drain out. While they drain, Street Shop is working on the small parts. Cross members are cut prepped for welding and then degreased. All small parts are machined, cleaned, assembled in a jig and welded up.

#4 ·
do you have a jig for assembly ?

#5 ·
In order to better document my build, Street Shop Inc. is being kind enough to provide me with photos of my chassis build. Therefore, the jig exists but it is at Street Shop.
I hope to travel up to their shop before they complete the project for me but in the meantime - I will settle for the project updated photos from them.

#7 ·
While Street Shop Inc. is busy assembling my C5/C6 chassis, I need to take the 1964 Corvette Roadster apart in order to get the body off the original frame. The Roadster is a driver with a small block 350 - so to me, it is a good candidate for the RestoMod.

At my pace, the new chassis will be ready before I am !!
Here are some pictures of the 64 -

#8 ·
My C5/C6 STREET SHOP INC frame for the 1964 Corvette Roadster is laid out to show the individual pieces that will make up the frame. The pieces will of course be placed on a jig and welded. See later pictures below.

Parts are cut, cleaned and prepped for welding. All parts are prepped for 100% welding.

Front cross member is finished, ready to install into jig and clamped down.

Frame rails are placed on jig to be cut to length, after cutting to length, end caps are welded to close up the rail.

The following pictures highlight the STREET SHOP chassis weld preparation to perform 100% welding. You can also see the welds up close and personal. After the main rails are welded, it is unclamped and allowed to cool so it will return to its relaxed state.

#9 ·
I spent a little time in the garage over the weekend removing the steering column, dash, glove box, and carpets. This car has been played with before as I witnessed spliced wires and adapted nuts/bolts to hold it together. It does not matter though as it all gets replaced with new hardware. It is a wonder this car ran at all!!!

:coffeetime:

#10 ·
Street Shop Inc continues building my C5/C6 chassis for my 1964 Roadster. They sent me the following updates for my records of the build. I better get moving on the Corvette to keep pace !! :eek2:

Frame horn for bumper mounts being started

Start of rear rails. Machined and fit with bosses for upper a-arm mounts

Bungs welded in and rear rails machined for bumper mounts and tank support.

Rear cradle mounts are built and the rear rails are ready to be welded to the main front frame.

Mounts for the m50 are installed, various pics of the rear rails welded to the front frame

Gussets are formed and added to the rear rails and allowed to cool to return to its relaxed state

#11 ·
Street Shop Inc. continues my C6 Chassis build and was kind enough to send me some additional pictures today for my records of my RestoMod / VetteRod project. I am sharing them on the forums. Are there any other views or pictures I should ask for?? Let me know and I will request it of the shop to provide if at all possible.
Also – please do not be shy to provide your feedback or questions if anyone has any….

Front cradle mounts are made and welded into place

:thumbsup3:

Body mounts are formed; captured nuts are welded in and installed on frame / chassis

:drool5:

Front mounts are made for the m50 (Rear End) and installed

#12 ·
SWEET !
how many hours does it take them to build the frame ?

#14 ·
My Custom C6 Chassis build for my 1964 C2 Corvette continues to be constructed by the folks at STREET SHOP INC
I am loving how beefy the parts are as well as how amazing the welding looks!

Upper a-arm mounts are made, 3/8 thick and drill and tapped. Prepped for welding - Placed in a jig and welded up. Gussets are added along with front shock mounts. On the inside gussets are added across from the shock.

Engine cradle is boxed in and will be finished when the bottom is welded.

#15 ·
:woowoo:
Here are a few additional pictures of my C6 chassis build for my C2 RestoMod from Street Shop. It is coming together nicely....

Transmission cross member being constructed

Rear clip is on - along with rear body mounts

Transmission cross member is installed

All that is left to do is the rear shock mounts and it comes off the jig, and finish the underside before it goes off to powder coat.

#16 ·
Here is my C6 Street Shop Chassis after it has been removed from the jig. I can see that more gussets, the side pipe / brake line tabs are now installed as well as the front sway bar mounts. At this point, the chassis fabrication is completed. Bolts will be placed in anything on the frame that has threads in preparation for powder coating in the next week or so.
What’s next?
I have contracted Street Shop to build the complete rolling chassis as many of you have seen the extensive list of parts at the beginning of the thread. All the parts have been ordered a few weeks ago so I will assume that many have already arrived or will be arriving while the chassis is off to powder coat so that when it returns to the shop, the assembly process will begin.

#17 ·
:thumbsup3::watching::thumbsup3:

#18 ·
The chassis has returned from the Powder Coater and is being prepared now for the installation of all those goodies I ordered for this build. The following pictures show my Street Shop Inc C6 chassis on the table with some of the parts being laid out in preparation for assembly. The rear end has arrived as well and if you pay attention, in one of the photographs you will see a crate engine (not sure if its mine or not but it will be similar).

I went with the 3.55 gear ratio as an all-around good gear.

#19 ·
This is the fun part of watching this build come together.
The Front Stainless Lines are installed as well as the front suspension
The Rear end installation is underway and almost complete
Street Shop Inc is waiting on a few small parts from GM to finish the rear and for brackets to get back from plating so the front of the engine can be finished as well.

#20 ·
:thumbsup3:

#26 ·
The Corvette C6 Chassis for my 1964 Corvette C2 is nearing completion and Street Shop has asked to display it at the upcoming 2012 Carlisle Corvette show!!! So – for those of you who are planning on going anyway, stop by their display booth to see the chassis in person – you will see it before I do!!!
The following series of build pictures shows more of the details of the chassis build:

In the spirit of sticking with all (or as much) Corvette C5/C6 parts as possible, I decided to use the C5/6 Disk Brake set-up, including the red powder-coated front and rear calipers. Yes, I even decided to use the Corvette inscribed front calipers.

Here are close up pictures of the front and rear suspension. Super clean and super modern!! Take a look at the A-arms and coil-overs!

Here are a couple of wide shots of the chassis as it sits now. Once the plating is completed, the engine accessories will be installed and of course lowered onto the frame along with the mated transmission. The Stainless gas tank will need to be installed along with the drive shaft from what I can see from the pictures.

#27 ·
:eek2::thumbsup3::seeya:

#28 · (Edited)
While the chassis is being completed – more pictures to come when the engine and transmission are installed along with the additional items to complete the rolling chassis – I have turned to making progress on the Corvette itself. The chassis is the sexy part of this amazing transformation but the task remains to restore the driver quality Corvette so that it is worthy of this new Street Shop C6 chassis.
I have made the following progress:
1. The bumpers and side window chrome have been removed, disassembled and now are at the chrome shop getting the show quality treatment. Below is a picture of the side window assemblies as delivered to the chrome facility; the side window regulators literally disintegrated in my hands so new ones will have to be purchased.

2. The bumper brackets have all been removed from the old frame and are at the power coaters now.

3. The following pictures show the Corvette being loaded onto the carrier on its way to the soda blasters to remove the old white paint job from the 1990’s.

Two days later, here is the body back from the soda blasters with virtually no paint. Now we can assess what the body will need to become pristine once more. We noticed some “work” done in the driver rear end and rear right passenger quarter.

#29 ·
Street Shop has installed the LS3 and TKO600 5speed onto the chassis. The following shows different angles of the chassis with the engine and transmission installed. The driveshaft is on its way as well as the pulley items still at the plating shop.

The Rock Valley stainless steel gas tank has arrived and looks amazing. As you can see, the boys from Street Shop have prepared and installed the gas tank onto the chassis

And finally, in order for the rolling chassis to be “rolling” I needed to provide them with wheels and tires. I chose the reproduction Corvette ZR1 wheels to keep with the Corvette theme and wrapped them with Michelins

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.