Chevy Corvette Forum banner

Nitrous explodes on C6 corvette

3K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  OBXCHARTERCAPTAIN 
#1 ·
Not good. I have seen a few video's where NOS systems explode like this. Why??

#4 ·
It would be good to know if that was a "wet" vs "dry" or maybe a direct port injection system. Any way you can find out those kind of details?

cause all we can do is speculate and further the myth that NOS is Baaaad.

Im speculating it was the install. for it to catch fire/explode like that something has to happen so gasoline gets involved. The oxygen part of NOS has to burn a fuel, and oxygen by itelf wont continue burning like in the video

#7 ·
Why does Nitrous Explode

There are NUMEROUS things that can go wrong with a Nitrous system that would end up like that... The most common one is a backfire with a wet nitrous system. Wet system inject the Nitrous along with all the extra fuel required to maintain the proper air/fuel ratio. That Nitrous/Fuel mixture is no different from any other liquid/liquid rocket fuel; it has all the ingredients required to support violent combustion and all it needs is a spark.
Since the nitrous is being sprayed before the intake manifold, the entire manifold is full of the explosive fuel/oxdizer mix. If a backfire happens for any reason (valve float, ignition issues, bent valve, valve not sitting properly, residual combustion after the intake valve begins to open, etc) it will ignite that mixture and essentially turn the intake manifold into a bomb.
From there things can only get worse... If the fuel line gets torn the fuel pump will continue to run untill the car gets shut off, and that will feed the fire that the explosion has started with gallons of gasoline every minute. The nitrous fuelling system can stay on too some times and keep feeding the fire that way. Not to mention that there is plenty of flammable stuff under the engine bay.

Because of that a dry shot is a lot "safer" in so far as explosions are concerned. Of course the issue with the dry shot is that if your engine leans out for any reason it will destroy itself faster than you could possibly realize it was happening... But at least it won't explode :lol:

#12 ·
It's not too often a nitrous system explodes at a race, but when it does watch out. Usually it's in a Pro Stock car, with a hidden system in a Drysump Tank etc. Hard to properly maintain a system like that and normally a stuck solenoid is the culprit. Some well known teams have got caught that way (it's not cheating till you get caught). So when you here a bang in the pits.......DUCK. It could be a drysump tank flying through the air. Really scary are some Pro Mod's with 2 Scuba size tanks in the car.

#15 ·
damn,that sux. i had a mustang with nos on it b4 i got my c6 and all it did was give me issues, i definitely thinks its worth the extra $ to go blown, thats the way i'm going

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.