• Corvette Forum
  • Login to Corvette Forums
  • SmokinVette.com
  • About SmokinVette.com
  • Corvette Forum
  • Corvette Gallery
  • Corvette Parts
  • Corvette Yellow Pages
SmokinVette.com Forums : Corvette Forums : C3 Corvette Forums : C3 Corvette General Discussion : New to the Corvette World
C3 Corvette General Discussion
1968 - 1982 Corvettes Sponsored by
XS Power

Old 04-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
ygs
Smokin Member

Default New to the Corvette World

Hello all. I'm completely new to the Corvette world, but very much interested and enjoy the power. I was handed a '81 C3 a month ago that doesn't look like much now. Previously it was nearly running perfect, just needed paint and interior redone. But was stolen right the part was getting fixed. The kids cut all the wires and hoses connected to the engine and took the a/c fan. The cops found them before they attempted to yank the engine out. So all that has to be replaced.

I know nothing about about Corvette's, because i currently drive a '07 Cooper S (completely opposite cars, but I've made it pretty quick with the Turbo, dont underestimate them lol). I've driven a '94 Corvette but that had no motor issues, but enjoyed the rear wheel power. So me and a friend are going to basically start all over and get this baby running again.

So im looking to replace the hoses and wires and fan. So does anyone know of a great place to look online or someone who may know a thing or two local in the Miami/ft. Lauderdale area that is reliable?
Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
rbowman
Smokin 200HP Club

An assembly manual will go along way for where the hoses go. For the electrical portion you could get a color wiring diagram, most corvette stores have them, or match the colors together. If they hacked the wires up, you might want to consider a new wiring harness. As for the fan motor, any parts store should carry them.
Its a shame that people have to be this way and destroy something as special as a vette.
Will your insurance cover the repairs? If so then they probably have a shop in mind, mine recommends a local dealer in SD that's close to where I live and does an excellent job, not to mention keeping me from getting numerous estimates for the repair.
Ron
Old 04-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
C3blackvette
Smokin 200HP Club

Welcome to the Forum
Dr. Rebuild's Web site for parts, I believe they have some diagrams posted.
http://www.docrebuild.com/dr-r-web/aaa-home.html
Wilcox Web site for parts and they have a help link.
http://willcoxcorvette.com/repairand...89d77356571637
Other vendors also have help links and are usually helpful on the phone. Up near the Port Richie area I think there is a vendor called "Davies". My friend uses them, but that's for a C5.

Post your specific questions first, there are many knowledgeable people on this forum. Also, this is a very friendly place with patient people, post away.
C3blackvette is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #4
toobroketoretire
Smokin 5000HP+ Posting Maniac

I believe the 1981 Camaros and Corvettes used the same front wiring harnesses so you could likely get what you need from a vintage wrecking yard.
toobroketoretire is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:32 AM   #5
fishslayer143@yahoo.com

just about any part you need is still available from Ecklers, Corvette Central, Zip Corvette, Corvette America. Welcome to SV..
fishslayer143@yahoo.com is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
padgett11
Smokin 100HP Club

I haven't got a clue. Lol..I'm the dumbest one here..ENJOY this place a hell of a lot to learn here..I have
padgett11 is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
toobroketoretire

Default You're Not Dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by padgett11 View Post

I'm the dumbest one here...............

It just takes time to learn the ins-and-outs of these C3's. I didn't know diddly about C3's until I bought my '82 24 years ago and have learned a lot about it since. Then I also have two other C3's; a '68 with a 454"/4-speed and a '71 with a 454"/TH700R4.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:35 AM   #8
ygs
Smokin Member

Thanks everone for the input, I will use what you gave me and do some research. I dont want this project to last forever. I want it running sooner than later, since I am only 22. I have plenty of time, but I am only one of my friends with a classic car, so it would be impressive to have it running.
ygs is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:13 AM   #9
toobroketoretire

The A/C doesn't have it's own fan. The electric fan is an "auxiliary" fan that just supplements the engine-driven fan when coolant temperatures exceed about 225 degrees. From what you're describing it should be easy to make the repairs to your car. If the wires have been merely cut then they just need to be butt-connected back together. But if the ends are missing you can buy just about all of them from Standard.

If the smog laws in your state aren't stringent like they are here in California you can likely eliminate several of your smog devices like the smog pump and air-switching valves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Share This Thread
  • Submit Thread to Digg
  • Submit Thread to del.icio.us
  • Submit Thread to Facebook
  • Submit Thread to StumbleUpon
  • Submit Thread to MySpace
  • Submit Thread to Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Google